• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp and other Rough fish pics

HotPocket

cool thanks. curious as to what it looks like now, i havent seen it for awhile. used to be a cut passageway but i assume its clogged back up for the time being

there is a spot that is passable and there is a jam just up from the bridge but you can get thru..

Elwood do you harvest any or catch and release? I have not tried white suckers yet but I plan to smoke up some this year. I often smoke silvers, shorts and Goldens. Never Rivers or Greaters, in Wisconsin they are also protected but rarely enforced unfortunatly.

I'm going to try and smoke some of those red horse and I saved some smaller whites for cut bait. most 90 percent C & R. I'm also going to try and deep fry a couple of the red horse for supper tomorrow

Hey poorB your real close to the action find some good spots on the rum river look for current braeks and eddy's to fish find spots out of the way like back road bridges that cross the rum..

Good luck

that is kind of what i thought what is the best bet for bait. i am guessing worms. I have some wax worms left over fron the ice season.

have been getting them on crawlers... and i ussally try canned corn also but with out much luck.

thanks I will try that. I usually soak them in tender quick for 24 hrs then clear soak over night but I add a cup or 2 of brown sugar and a bit of molassas to the clear soak so its not so clear grin

I deboned and made fishpatties tonight with a couple of the suckers they were yummy the boys ate um up

got all the red meat off then par boiled the fish then mixed it together with a few crackers and beer batter mix. turned out really good. next time I will try and pickle someprobally smoke some next weekend

Sorry poorB I didnt see your post until to late hope you found some crawlers and good luck fishing

Elwood, man you guys are on fire! beautiful greaters! Congratulations on those sweet catches.

The weather has been unreal here up north. A solid stretch of 60°+ days over the past week. I never would have guessed it but the suckers were in thick and heavy in one of my spring spots. You could darn near walk across the river on their backs. This is a month ahead of last year. Crazy. This male was in full spawning regalia.

wtsaa.jpg

wtszoom.jpg

I kept a dozen fish for some sausage. Good thing since most of the stream spawning closures across the state take effect tomorrow.

Hkk I hardly got out of my truck today after work and he came flyin out of the house asking where the fishin rods were for crappies cause the lakes open and he was gonna beat me there.. makes me proud to say thats my boy

Dead I went out this morning for a bit but no luck whats so ever not even a bite tried for about an hour and a half then I had to go. but I was fishing wink BTW nice ones you got also..

I kept a dozen fish for some sausage.

Care to share a recipe, Deadhead? You have me intrigued!

Also, someone asked about using white suckers for smoking, and I can say that I prefer them to shorthead redhorse (which is the only variety of redhorse on the rivers up north where I fish) for the simple fact that they are generally thicker and you get a little more bang for your buck.