• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp and other Rough fish pics

HotPocket

Pretty simple really haha, find a lake or stream or pond or creek or river, drop a hook/jighead tipped with corn or crawlers on the bottom, and wait. :P They're all over that place amigo, even Lonsdale wink haha

ha, thanks, been way to busy with work lately to be chasing anything but i hope to soon

i went to a spot on a gorgeous river yesterday and right away i saw all sorts of shadows moving around on the bottom. i made a few casts with no luck so i decided to try to wade up from behind them and sight fish from there.

on my way out i relized that with the low sun and the glare, i couldn't sight fish on the up-stream side of me, but i could see in the water on my down stream side, and i was very happy with what i saw

"a hogsucker!" i thought, surprised that i actually didn't spook this one. right after i thought that i saw another come speeding in from my right, it was spooked. it met up with the other one and they both swam out of sight. i made two more steps forward looking for more, and i spooked three more hogs. this was getting ridiculous.

after making a few more steps i noticed two more hogs sitting downstream from me, this might be my last chance. i made one drift past it

nothing

two drifts

nothing

three drifts

nothing

then i remembered how i had to hit the nice golden i got earlier in the face to get a reaction

i made a few more drifts before i got it perfect, i saw the hogsucker quickly move off to its left

"[PoorWordUsage], i spooked it again" i thought. i slowly started to reel in. I FELT WEIGHT!! i set the hook and watched the fish start to fight, it was flat out awesome watching the fish move, with its giant pectoral fins, huge head, and gorgeous pattern.

i got the fish to hand and i was in absolute awe. i did it! i got my lifelister!

i brought the fish up to show everyone and get pics, Dan got these fantastic pics of this fantastic fish

benspics138.jpg

benspics139.jpg

this was the smallest fish that i've ever gotten "the shakes" over. it was safely released

I swear lack of river time (with my ever demanding work schedule) is slowly turning me into a carp fisherman on the side. (Sorry catfish! I'll come back and play soon!!!!) My honey hole is on the way back from work, and it's just ever so tempting to stop off for an hour or five after work and decimate some carp with my ultralight.

Here are a few from tonight, and one from last night (Sara holding it)

DCP_1644.jpg

DCP_1647.jpg

DCP_1650.jpg

Man these fish are fun on light tackle!

I seem to be catching all the junk fish lately and no Catfish. First a fat 28" Walleye on a live Bullhead and now this hefty Carp on a big chunk of cutbait. 31" length and 17" around.

32222_511849977265_88400185_30476278_474

I'm thinking 12-15 lbs but I am far from a Carp weight expert.

so today i decided i would take the whole day to fish. it was to windy to fish lakes, to i took a drive to the sauk river to fish walleyes. the river was very high. and the current was fast. after about an hour i caught a perch. a while later a tiny walleye. and then i got this.... my first time getting a sucker with a crankbait!

sucker1.jpg

after a couple more hours i went down stream, and started fishing an area that is barely above water during normal water levels. but now it was pretty much a flat of rocks and gravel and a whole bunch of riffles. so i was just drifting some worms... getting small hits and missing, and eventually i hook up. and it turns out to be this nice sized chub!

chub.jpg

i said to my self, "so thats what has been biting"

i pitched the worm back out and hooked up. and the drag started pulling. "thats no chub!"

turned out to be this nice shorthead!

redhorse3.jpg

after that, i was catching shortheads nonstop! (nice ones too!)

i was getting one every couple minutes! (if that!)

catch one, take a picture, release it. and within 30 seconds, BAM!

redhorse5.jpg

redhorse8.jpg

redhorse11.jpg

redhorse1.jpg

redhorse4.jpg

redhorse6.jpg

redhorse9.jpg

i have never had a day like this before! my best day before, the fish were like 20 minutes a part, or more. this was INSANE!

33x20 MN River carp ... just hammered a crawler ... I thought I had a big flat on the line ... cooking drag and doubling up my rod. Even on the river I can't get away from those darn carp wink

Image012.jpg

And the girlfriend caught her first two river fish yesterday, a smaller channel cat, and this sheepshead! She is hooked on the river now smile

DCP_1673.jpg

Oh, and we had some shovelnose action again, not big new for me because I literally catch them all the time sadly, but a first for Sara!

DCP_1681.jpg