• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Vikings draft

koonie

i love top 10 talent at #22, a large percent of draft picks are busts anyway...only difference is this pick will be so magnified compared to if we would of went the safe conservative route and took oher or britton and they ended up not being that great you wouldn't hear anything about it.

its a gamble and people have a right to question the move...but i'm down with it the pick i like it...worked out with randy and people questioned that move...it worked out with jared when everyone thought it wasn't smart because of his issues....maybe it ends up being a stellar pick and maybe it ends up being a bad pick no one will know for awhile...but i like the gamble.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't think as conservative as Childress and this FO is right now that they would have made the move if he wasnt confident Harvin would stay straight. Im alright with it to. If its the 7th pick its a different story. A late first rounder, i love the prospects of what he brings.

I think with the addition of Harvin it can open up some of those short in and out routes for us. Much like the way Steve Smith is used. All this character talk, imo, has more to do with the media picking apart someone. What would we have to talk about if he didn't have these "issues"? I think I have heard numerous times how chilly is so conservative. He won't want a player with issues. He backed off Cutler because of his past issues. And I would only assume that Cutlers past is not near what Harvins is. We can all look up all the bad things that Harvin has done in his past, but we only hope his future stays bright and things go right for him.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

The writings on the wall, Tjack is the starter unless something major happens. Harvin is multi-purpose as he can play RB as well.

The Vikes will want as much speed as they can get in the backfield to create mis-matches and they have Harvin to keep 8 out of the box and someone on defense will have to honor Tjacks running ability.

Harvin got as many yards rushing as he has receiving. Good kick returner too. He's explosive so maybe we get some similarities to Hester there. If only Chili were more creative smile

i agree sage is a good qb and a big improvement over t-awesome....all my enthusiasm is out the window if t-awesome is the starter this year...that would be such a downer....there's no writing on the wall...thats nice t-awesome can run a little bit but it don't help that he can't pass.

What makes you think TJack will be the starter Rick? I've heard Chilly make some statements that would make me think otherwise but who really knows. My bet is Sage will be the q-back...I think when they pulled TJack out after the 2nd game last year it really showed what they thought of him. I thought the Vikes had a really solid draft and I'm excited to see what Harvin can do on the turf.

My opinion: Lighting doesnt strike the same spot twice. We got lucky that Moss panned out for us. Lucky to have a QB that could overthrow him at the time, and lucky that's probably what kept Moss out of prison his first few years making the big money.

How good would Moss have been if T-Jack or Sage were the QB back then? I hope this Harvin doesnt get too frustrated too easily.

I like the pick as well. If he is as explosive in the NFL as he was in college, the Vikes could be looking good. Either one of two things are going to happen: Teams back 8 out of the box to account for Harvin, hopefully freeing some more running up for AP, or what I think is going to happen....Teams will continue to stack the box to stop AP until our QB proves that he can throw the ball to Harvin and Berriman enough times that they are forced to back 8 out of the box. Either way, it should bode will for the Vikes. The only big question mark is our QB getting the WR's the ball to force them to back off.

As for character issues......yeah the coach and the front office took a chance, and perhaps have talked sternly to Harvin about what is expected, however, I believe that this is where the team leaders in the locker room need to step up to him, and slap him into reality. Let him know the stuff won't be tolerated or they will stomp him. Handle it from within I say.

I'm okay with the Harvin pick, but I can't figure out why everyone thinks WR is such a postion of need? We have Berrian, Rice and Wade which means one of those guys sits when Harvin comes in. Berrian will be in there all the time and I think they like Wade in the slot to that means Rice will lose time. They spent a second round pick on Rice and he was banged up last year. They aren't giving up on him already are they?

Childress runs such a vanilla offense that they're not going to line up Harvin in the backfield very often. Finding "creative" ways to get him the ball in this offense could be challenging. I guess I could see him being like a Randel El type player for them.

"I'm okay with the Harvin pick, but I can't figure out why everyone thinks WR is such a postion of need? We have Berrian, Rice and Wade which means one of those guys sits when Harvin comes in." - Juan Grande

...because the passing game & special teams for the Vikes really needs to improve. A WR like Harvin will do that. Rice and Wade are just okay receivers.

Godd overall draft, chilly is too blah to see the effects of good players, he needs to let his coachs coach! and stay out of play calling, T-junk will alwyas be chillys pet and I hope it cost's him (chilly) his job soon. GO Vikings, go away childress.

Rice was a factor as a rookie. He just couldn't stay healthy last year. The QB is the problem with the passing game, not the WRs. I don't think T-Jack could thrive with Rice and Moss in their primes.

I'm not against the Harvin pick, I just don't see the Vikes as a good fit for his abilities due to Childress' lame play calling. It's like hiring Tony Stewart to drive your mini-van.

HAHA, good one juan!!!

I agree he needs to mix it up a little more, maybe with someone like Harvin he can. This might be chilly's last year, and does anyone else think he sounds like Carl from Slingblade when he talks, or is it just me?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

What makes you think TJack will be the starter Rick?

I think he will be the starter because of Harvin's talent and how it meshes so nicely with AP and TJack. Espeically with reverses and draws. Tjack and Harvin will command attention from both DEs or a DE and LB as a run threat so they cannot focus on AP. If they throw 8 in the box it really creates a match-up problem for any D. Don't forget they will have Loadholt to contend with as well. He needs work before e becomes a good pass protecter. So the draft says they are leaning heavily towards TJack the runner rather tan Sage the passer. Oh and Chili has said a number of things that hint that TJack will get first shot.

I think our draft speaks even more highly that we were more focused on special teams.

I do agree the with the logic of using T-jack as the starter for using Harvins abilities to their best. But I am not too sure that Harvin will be used as much on offense as we think. I am guessing more kick return/punt return duty for the majority of his time. I am sure he will come in on a few packages, but not a ton the first year.