• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need roofing ideas for deer stand

ts_hunter

I am building a 6x6 lean-to style deer stand and am getting close the the roof. What would be some of the best options for roofing? I am building in sections, so each wall and the roof will be taken out to the woods as a complete unit, so a shingled roof may be a bit heavy to get 12ft up in the air to attach. Is there some type of tar paper roofing on a roll at Menards that could be put on the plywood roof?

How about the rubber roofing? It is a bit heavy, but not like shingles, and it would prevent any thuds, unlike a steel roof. You could just lay it on top, then staple it around edges, maybe some adhesive on top.

good luck! Take pics when you are done and post them, would love to see it.

I think the big box stores have it nowadays. Not 100% positive, but I think so. It would be the same stuff used for rubber bottom "ponds" or some water landscaping everybody seems to like these days. It is pretty thick, actually, and easy to work with. Helped a neighbor do his (big) pond and waterfall in his yard a few years ago.

Why not just put up 3/8 or 1/2 treated plywood on an angle and leave it bare, maybe paint it in a year or two when it dries out? I built a dog house and it held up for 14 years with nothing on the roof other than some left over latex paint. May get a a few drips at a seam but you're probably going to get moisture in it anyway.

couple pcs of pole barn steel. its lightweight, easy to install, maintenance free and usually you can find leftover short pcs at a local lumberyard for cheap. Screw it down to the to plate of the walls and run a couple 2x4 supports across the middle. thats what i did and havent touched it in 6 years.

Just playing devil's advocate here....if using steel, won't every acorn/pinecone/etc. hitting the roof make every animal within earshot a bit nervous? Seems like unwanted attention in your direction (usually at the wrong time)...I like the tar and the rubber roof idea.

Eckie thats what I was thinking. I use the steel on my kennels and I think it is GREAT! But it is noisy, that's for sure. I would go with something to deaden the thud of branches, acorns, etc.

My stand is there all year, and has been for the past 6 so the animals are well used to any sound it might make (besides me being in it), i guess if you are puttin up and taking down the animals wont be used to it, if its there for an extended period of time it becomes part of their normal habitat. Mines all painted up to match the trees its against and from the road you cant see it unless you know what you're looking for.

Our portable stands we try and get up months before season as to make sure every critter in the woods is accustomed to it being there.

The Alone in the Wilderness guy, [PoorWordUsage]. P., put something like four layers of black poly on his cabin and covered it with a couple layers of bog peat. Lefty may require you to have a permit to harvest peat.

My neighbor has a perm stand on his land, it has a steel. I've used the stand a couple times but never in the rain. I'm thinking the deer are used to the sound of raindrops. At least you have a roof over your head. Just trim any branches that might rub on the roof. The squeaking gets annoying.

You will get sound bouncing off the roof like a big parabolic reflector. Your sound not so good, but the crunch of leaves or the snap of a twig are amplified. Directional is sort of funny but thats what you have eyes for.

Yeah I don't think i would use tin, way too loud. I do a ton of roofing and I would recomend use rubber roofing, Menards carries 10x10 peices

Any idea how much that would run? Would I just ask for it in the building materials dept?

ts_hunter:

If you are going with a roof type material. One recommendation would be to lay a single layer of sky-light material in the middle strip area. Great to have that extra light to stay more alert on long waits and easier to find things with out any trouble seeing inside the stand on those dark and overcast days. Any home improvement store will carry them.

Farmer