• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What would You do if You shot the Big Guy opening day?

Rotwieler

I'm Ready for Bow season to start! but I was just thinking if i shot the big guy on opening day what would i have to look forward to for the next three months!?! To me it would feel weird with the woods still green and hot. I like the trees golden, hearing the deer walking in the leaves on the ground, and the air cold. I hope I Dont shoot him opening day! I would still be happy but i think it wouldnt be as rewarding. I like sitting day after day, to finally get a shot, it really make you feel like you earned it! What do you guys think?

I'd focus more on the fall fishing but also look foreward to more trips across the border to hunt in Wisc. There are some nice deer in this area but most don't survive the season into the late bow season and if I did my homework and got one of the big guys here right away I'd have to take to the hunt across the border and also fish more then I do in the fall. The nice thing is, I wouldn't have that nagging feeling that I should be in the woods late October when I was out trolling for those piggy night walleyes!

Tunrevir~

Thats a good point tunrevir, I never have gone after wall-dogs in the fall. I get so deer Orientated in the fall, its all I think About in my free time. I get so inquisitive of deer, and thier habits, in the fall.

also I think everyone needs to try a smoked venison roast. its awesome!

i'd say if you get a chance to stick the big guy early do it, and spend the rest of the fall hunting backstraps. . . or get a fall turky tag and keep a turky broadhead knocked in your quiver just incase

I actually have to work opening weekend. if you remember from last year i named one MR. SQUIGGLES. I'm Hoping he made it. I havent got a pic yet but ive only had my cameras out three weeks.

3lr9.04009.jpg

I shot this one opening afternoon. I pushed a bad shot, I shot him facing me at 9yrds from 22ft up, i watched the lumenok disappear between his shoulder blades, but never found a drop of blood or the buck after 34 hrs. of searching (actual time of searching). talk about a kick in the n^%$s.

twig08.24001.jpg

You have to work opening weekend, yet you lead us on with the hypothetical situation that you have a chance at Mr Big opening weekend???

Whats up with that?

You have nothing to worry about. Mr Big will walk by your stand opening day, so you have all year to wait for him again. LOL

If you get the opportunity to shoot Mr. Big on the opening week of the season, take him, you never know when you'll get another opportunity at him, he could get hit by a car, or just simply 'disappear'.

I do understand exactly what you're getting at though. I hunt in zone 4 which means - we get to shoot one deer and then you're done, unless you want to travel quite a distance. Last year was the first time in zone 4 that they cut back, no bonus doe early on, I was kind of bummed, didn't want to end my season early, so I didn't go out until mid October, and wouldn't you know it, I had a nine point come by my stand the first night. I stuck him, but then I was done. frown Biggest deer I had shot with a bow but I sure missed that sitting in a deer stand the first week in Nov. I love to pheasant hunt and have two labs, so I survived, but I learned my lesson.

This year, up until Nov. 1, I won't shoot a deer unless its bigger than that 9 point. No does until Dec. But I will make it out earlier in the year just to enjoy the peace and quiet, with my digital camera in hand, and my bow in case one of the ten points that I saw late last winter comes by.

I think its good that you're thinking about what deer you want to shoot and which ones you want to let walk.

You guys that live in a zone where you can shoot multiple deer, appreciate it!!!

I was lucky enough to take a big one opening morning a few years ago. I fished walleye and hunted grouse the rest of the year. Wasn't bowhunting, but wasn't bad.

8 days for me and fonz. grin heading to ND next tuesday to scout and set some stands. opens the 29th at noon but we'll hit the stands about 5. I'll have no problem at all sending an arrow towards mr bigs vitals if he comes buy. I just have to let the small ones walk!! that can be tough sometimes for me but I'm getting better. it'd be easier if the meat tasted like beetle dung. and if I do shoot a basket rack my hunting buds are on me like stink on poooopooooo grin. there's a dandy 8 point and a dandy 10 point crusing the area I hunt so hopefully I'll get a crack at one of them. good luck out there!

I'm with tunrevir on this one...if I was fortunate enough to whack a big one early season then I would: hunt for does, try to video camera a buddy shooting a deer, fish more, hunt pheasants a day or two, get a wisc tag and go hunt with my buddies over there. I don't ever seem to have that problem however...but hey...it might happen right???? Always fun to dream. I think it would be a great position to be in.

I am hoping to get him before trapping season. I want to run a big line, but if i don't i still will be after him. Just isn't fair that we don't have a little more time in the fall. He has to be at least a 150. But i kinda want to wait out the biggest one we seen an he is close to 170. Doubt it will happen, but fun to try.

I would shoot some does, call coyotes, and hunt more waterfowl if stii get lucky, but I don't want him my first night out. But i still will shoot him if I get the chance.

Gut him out...

Then I'd keep hunting for does, but I hunt in multiple deer areas. I'd still shoot him even if I didn't. My theory is you can only shoot the deer that come when they come. If you can pick which deer you shoot & what day, you don't need to ask any of us any questions, you've got it all figured out.

That would be the year I'd find out if you really can fish between Labor Day & hard water. I'd hunt ducks a bit more, perhaps cut enough wood to not still be cutting most of the winter...