• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail Cam Pics

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checked the memory card on the cam. Nothing but does and fawns. Had 2 bucks . 1 1/2 year olds. That's it. So was kinda bumbed in that aspect. Then to add salt to the wound, had this guy show up, and didn't get drawn for a bear tag this year...and he seems to be very active. Just my luck.

Set out another cam Saturday, and will check both cards again in 2 weeks.

SUNP0004.jpg

Great looking deer guys... some beauties. I've been a little behind with trail cam pics this year but this is the biggest I've gotten so far. He's not great but good for the area I hunt. He's pretty narrow and he looks similar to a buck I passed on on 3 different occasions last fall, if so he'd be a 3 1/2 yo. Otherwise just lots of scrubs... the food plots are definitely helping though. Those dagger spikes of the past are turning into forks and small 6pts. Good to see. Just need to enhance the age structure and the turn will begin...

PICTURE_027small.JPG

3 weeks earlier, same deer?

Picture_017small.jpg

Easy fellas... looking at him a little harder you're right he's probably not the same deer I passed on. I was focused on the narrow rack and compared similarities from last fall. Obviously his neck muscles aren't fully developed yet but he'll look a whole lot different in a month. Even mature bucks are pretty puny in August. Definitely not a year and half old though... that's extreme as me saying he could be 3 1/2! Maybe in Iowa or Kansas but not north-central MN in our woods.

Here's your typical 1 1/2 for the area...he's on the big side grin

Picture_005small.jpg

"that's as extreme as me saying he could be 3 1/2!"

Not extreme at all. With ideal conditions, its documented that 1.5 year old deer can grow 8 and even 10 pt racks in the midwest.

That buck out of velvet will be very spindly. If that was out of velvet and he had that type of thickness(lack of better description), I would say for sure not a 1.5 year old.

"Here's your typical 1 1/2 for the area..."

Yes, you said it right. "Typical" for the area maybe, but not a hard, fast rule that you dont have some 1.5 year olds running around that look like the first one you posted. If the first one is a 1.5 year old, he is on a fast track to some nice antlers. As I noted, most likely a 2.5, but there is a chance he is younger.

So do you think the little guy in this pic is a 2.5 year old?

Not a chance. This is further north and he isnt sporting a rack much smaller than the one you posted.

This is a 1.5 year old, hands down. A few more inches and he wouldnt be far off from the one you posted.

sep200846.jpg

That's a great picture.

I'm not here to argue age, genetics, or start a QDM thread. That 1 1/2 you posted looks malnourished... some good nutrition might put him upwards of 100" - P&Y as a 2 1/2. I've hunted long enough in our area and have seen enough yearling bucks to know with much certainly he's not a 1 1/2. Do I doubt deer can grow antlers like that at that age? Absolutely not. But in our parts... the soil composition and genetics aren't there. It's no coincidence the field adjacent to our woods sits idle year after year with a crop unobtainable. I don't know why I'm trying to defend myself here... just trying to share a photo in the appropriate forum and a guy gets ripped apart. When I kill 'em next fall I'll send ya a molar cross-sectional... but what would be the point - you already know his age right? grin