• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morel Hunting...

MOBY RICHARD*

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say we will be looking at around a month or so (give or take a few days) before it is prime time. Mid May looks like the time to be in the woods! Good luck all!

Another question for all you veteran morel hunters. I have looked around my area a few times in the last 2 years and never found any. I think I may have looked a little to early. Are the morels pretty much everywhere in the state or just in certain areas. I am wondering what my odds of finding some on the 150 acres that I was looking on? I was looking north of Cambridge around dead elms and oaks around hillsides and around swamp edges. Any help would be appreciated.

Smells pretty 'shroomy to me. When were you looking? They can be tough little buggers to spot if you aren't used to looking for them and the yellow ones hide under everything.

I've found them around MooseLake area,The bar in the town of Kettle River,has a hunt and cookoff,Well when I lived in the area in the 90s.Dead Elms and cottonwoods,I found them near neither also,keep a sharp watch till you've seen a few,they will be more visible after you found some and see how they can hide,I found them in lawns.

We have plenty of moisture in the ground and hopefully it will stay that way. Then all we need is a few straight nights with temperatures 65 and above and then it will be game on. Doesn't look to promising this weekend, i'm guessing in about 3 weeks.

Duane

Usually in areas where there is heavy concentrations of oak and pine there is usually no morels. As stated before they are very hard to notice to the untrained eye. A good walking stick or broom handle moves forest floor growth nicely.

I thought I was looking when the people were finding them, maybe I just didnt spot any. I just wish I could spot at least 1 that way I at least know they are there. I was just wondering if anybody finds them in the area so I know that the time I put in may produce.

Look along the spokes of larger root systems of the various dead trees, start at the base and work out or around...

It takes a sharp eye, those things are magicians...they can disappear as fast as you turn your head... crazy.gif

Once you spot one, reference where it is, stand where you are and look around for more, looking back every so often to the first one to train your eye, then reference the others locations if any, then walk straight to the first one, watching only a little where you walk, so you don't trip over other ones, and leave that first one, if alone, and mark with a stick, walk around and pick the others, and keep looking for more...if with others, you better pick 'em as fast as you can...or they will... whistle.gif

Yes, once it is the right time, a little warm rain or humidity, really makes them pop out, the way this year is going it should be real good...once you find them...

If not finding them where you look...find them where your not looking...and it has to be just the right time and conditions for your location...Braham area latitude is generally producing around 1 week before or after Memorial Day, but that could easily vary 1 week more either side, depending on the year, and many spots only produce for a few days to a week...

Once you spot your first one it is easier, but usually never easy... ;\)

On 150 acres with the trees and conditions you describe, there should be some, at the right time, unless there have never been any spores that got in there, which is highly unlikely, and since you own about 1/2 of the Pie Capitol of the World...

If you can't wait for Morels, I see your Fire Dept. is having a Smelt Fry on Saturday, a little consolation anyway...Smelt and Pie... eek.gif

couple years ago i found "the spot" went there last year...only dead ones dried up.. i was too late. this year...ain't gonna happen. If you don't know what they look like do a google search, there is a ton of info about them, look at some pics. I usually only find the ones that are bigger, as others have said they hide in the grass. Once i was all frustrated my cousin was picking pounds to my ounces, I'm like what r u doing different? he says look down, I'm like i've been here 10 minutes there ain't no boomers, "just look down and look around" sure as a wild deer craps in the woods there were nice ones in the tall grass all around, heck I was standing on about 7.

[quote name='MOBY RICHARD

If you can't wait for Morels' date=' I see your Fire Dept. is having a Smelt Fry on Saturday, a little consolation anyway...Smelt and Pie... eek.gif [/quote']

mmmm smelt pie sick.gif

I got a new spot to check out, oak woods with tons of dead elms in it, and loaded with prickly ash, near a river bottom too. There better be shrooms there, its a drive!

Hopin to find some turkey huntin the 349G season