• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morel Hunting...

MOBY RICHARD*

I am excited to find some. The only time I did was when I was searching for my golf ball on a hillside at Mississippi National Golf course in Red Wing in the middle of the summer, found 13 huge ones in like 4 minutes of searching. Ever since then I haven't been able to find any, but I have a lead on a spot this spring. I am hoping they are really in there! Dang those suckers are good eating. Little butter and onion, and a cold one.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of turkey hunting... I do quite a bit of shrooming on public land. I always worry that I am going to mess up someones hunt. But at the same time I gotta get to my hot spots before someone else does. Has anyone had any run ins with turkey hunters?

I plan to devirginize myself in the world of morels this spring.

I always have fresh *store-bought 'shrooms in the fridge and nothing goes better with a steak or pasta or a salad or anything really than a big ol pile of mushrooms. Wash it all down with a Leinies Summer Shandy and you're in business! You bet!

ubet.jpg

Johnsonator your more than welcome, I'll try to post when I have first or second hand finds from your general area...

I'm from everywhere, and nowhere, but have traveled around in your neck of the wood, but not on your property... ;\)

I don't think I'll be at the fry, though I'll miss the pie, as I'm hoping to try...after the little wigglers myself...

Though the weathercast isn't looking good, the water temps are near as should, I don't smelt in the snow, as I may melt in the flow...well I haven't yet...done either... cry.gif

It must be past my bedtime...sleep.gifsleep.gifsleep.gif

Anyone finding any morels yet?

I'm guessing it's been too cold around the metro as of yet. No lilacs blooming, or even leafing yet. I have not seen any in my normal search areas.

This would normally be around the time they start in the metro, but I'm guessing we're still at least a week away??

Originally Posted By: Tippman
 Originally Posted By: DonBo
There is a large post going on the Womens forum about morels.

....so how did you know that \:\/

They claim to have more fun over there...

Still pretty cold for them I think. I've been looking around with no luck. After the next 4-5 days of rain if the weather ever sparks up there could be a nice little crop coming in.

Don't a lot of people have reactions to Morels and alcohol? I pass on the beer with my shrooms. I have heard stories about beer and morels causing a "barfarama". Is this an old wives tale?

No, it is true with some people getting very sick from mixing alcohol and morels.

If it makes you feel any better I don't know anybody that this happens too, and I'm always having wine when I make morel dishes.

I just googled morels and found a cool HSOforum that has regional forums and they are really starting to find them in east central nebraska and west iowa along the missouri river. Should not be long now. Bring on the sun. Mmm Mmm Mmm Can't wait.

Duane

I was hunting morels in extreme NW Illinois yesterday, on the Wisconsin border. Found a bunch of small greys, no yellows. Enough for a couple meals. I would think that sometime next week they'll be plenty...if the weather stays warm and wet.

Conditions were a little behind this year, but somehow seem to have been creeping up towards normal...so look for the most common times for your area...especially if we get some warm feeling rains coming in...watch the board, and without giving up your secret areas, give a little about general geographic, or latitudinal areas... ;\)

Ok, on the Morel progression thread, it is reported that the Winona area is now producing, so it should be moving 50- 100 miles North per week, the way the weather is slowly but surely picking up...plenty of good moisture... cool

Watch for ticks though, Cambridge-North Branch area, was thick with them this past weekend!!! eek

Dead elms with moss covered black dirt around them. Make sure the spots have been getting some sun also. I had better luck with the open spots than the ones further back in the woods. But those will come hopefully by the weekends.