• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morel Hunting...

MOBY RICHARD*

Just spend less time looking carefully and more time looking for an "ideal" spot. You can get info from these guys or the internet on where they are most likely to grow. I'd just move from dead elm to dead elm and look, cover more ground. Once you find one or two you'll know what to look for. Don't make the mistake of combing every inch of the woods!!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below is the link to the False Morel site

http://thegreatmorel.com/mush/false2.html

My shroomin party has been eating these for years, matter of fact the matriarch (in her 70's) of the group will trade regulars for the "REDS" we find, and shes as healthy as the rest of us..........Most of us prefer the true Morels.

I'M NOT SAYIN TO EAT THEM JUST SAYIN WHAT I KNOW........... USE YOUR OWN JUDGEMENT !!!!!

With the warmer weather, though the nights have been cool, and some rain tracking, I will be expecting some activity in the Cambridge-North Branch Latitude...at least I hope so, I've been getting hungrier and hungrier, looking at all the pictures posted here... cry

Warm and humid, days and nights, and damp soils, are what I find ideal for this area... cool

I am going with maple bacon, wrapped morels for a snack soon......found a big yellow today dried up on a 10 min walk... look for sun exposed spots first mossey ground...moist ground i am looking for.

Hey Fish-Pig did you find any around Grand Rapids?? Since we moved from rapids to the north shore I miss out on the morels. I'm thinking about taking my wife a road trip that direction next weekend (june 1) morel hunting for her b-day if the timing is right. I have spots but would be interested in knowing if it's early/late or primetime. Good luck hunting and thanks for any info.

redhooks

Just curious I live near International Falls. Has anyone found any around here. I went our the other day for about an hour with no luck. Maybe it's not warm enough yet. We just got some rain over night, so maybe if it warms us they will stop popping. Please let me know if you have found any up north. Good day

I found some around Park Rapids this weekend. Numbers were way down though, think we need some rain now for them to come up. Either that or this spot is on the downslide.

Here's another interesting find, is this a false morel?

DSC00946.jpg

Did you find the real deal this time, not the poison ones... eek

Well I finally found one on Sunday, in the Cambridge-North Branch Latitude...

A gray, about 2 1/2 inch head, but not fully developed, the craters were only about 1/2 open and thick walled, so I left it...

Sunday after the rain, it was warm, a misty fog arose and I thought, this is great, tomorro will be hot and humid and they will really pop, but no way...It was cold and cloudy, and that one, looked exactly the same, and I found no others... frown

Now it is cold, and the next few days don't look any better, and especially at night, so I would guess it will be about a week, if we get some nice warm weather before this area really goes...

On the plus side, I found some additional, likely areas, to check when they start showing... cool

30 lbs? How many is that? Sometimes I wonder if that is like a 2lb Walleye....that is 15" long not 19". Not saying you telling fibs just wondering what the count is for that many. I have not seen "Blacks" do you have a photos?