• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morel Hunting...

MOBY RICHARD*

my area up here in roseau has produced around 110 morels, which is the most i have seen or harvested. i haven't found one for about a week now. is it over, or will the 1.5-2" of rain start my area up again.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say, those areas, that weren't quite ready before, and didn't show, may go...

Most of my experience has been that a few pop, and then a bunch, and then maybe a few stragglers...

But I would review the areas that have produced, as conditions are better now, and look some more in areas that looked like they should have, but didn't produce...nice and warm and steamy, pretty much forces them... whistle

That 110 nummber is a pretty good pick that far north, though of course the more areas found away from other enthusiasts, the more can be found...but if you don't get caught up in "gold fever", having to find every one, everywhere, and just go looking when and where you enjoy most, you may be just as satisfied... cool

Well, a friend of ours is heartbroke after checking an area in their yard, in the West Suburbs of Mpls...an old spot that he had been watching, that had not produced in a couple years, did produce this year...

He discovered this after he had mowed today...oops, he mowed down a couple...it looked like the stems were real fresh too, and he also found a completely dried up top only... frown

And this after all the discussion about not mowing down your harvest...so keep checking, and no mowing...this was off an old Apple Tree root, dead and gone for a number of years...

Well, I found one more on Sunday, the 8th, and one on Monday, the 9th...the first one I picked, cooked and and ate within minutes of picking...it was the best...the second one was bent over and when I opened it, was full of sand and ants, so I had to toss it... sick

They are still out there, and none have shown by my aspen spots yet, so I don't know if it will happen there... crazy

Forgot to mention, ticks are still thick, worst year ever...picked up a nice little case of "Poison Ivory", as the neighbor kid calls it...wasn't watching for and didn't expect it this soon, as it has been so cool... frown

These pictures are a couple from Sunday June 1st, the first one is the one I left for a week...the second one is the champ... cool

I know the images are a little large, but this is my first attempt to post pictures, I will try to down size in the future...I may become addicted to this picture thing... eek

Notice the fly eyeing up my find,I didn't see that 'til I down loaded these...

The second picture is only a little larger than life size, so that gives a pretty good idea as to the size of that thing... crazy

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

Ok, found another 1/2 dozen, large stem Morels today, in an Aspen area...but all were dried on top...

Had checked this area Monday and did'nt find any, that's just how fast they can spring up and die off under the right conditions...or else I need new eyes... crazy

Anyone else still looking or finding???