• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rethinking ice fishing duds for next year

Cove

I got through another ice fishing season with the old duds but next year I want to change some things so need advice:

1. Life Jackets. I found myself hesitant to wear life jacket in conditions that probably need it because it would muck up my basic cold weather clothing. Do folks wear these over top of their usual fishing cloths? As an middle layer? Is there a type that works best for these situations? I thought of the inflatable kind since takes less space or, then again, the regular type has good insulations value so perhaps buy one that is like a regular jacket to wear under parka?

2. Once the melt starts and there is a lot of slush and water

on top of the ice my LaCrosse Ice Kings start to take on water. I have rubber hunting boots that come up over the calf but they are not warm enough. Boot ideas for wet conditions?

3. Are these special purpose, Ice Fishing parka / bib outfits really any different than a hunting parka / bibs? Would it be worth checking these out?

Definitely check out the Arctic Armor. They will float you, keep you warm and keep you dry. Good utility for ice fishing, definitely one of the best things I got for ice fishing. Extra padding in butt and elbows and knees, for kneeling on ice etc. Well worth the cost, and you can use the for rrain gear in early or late season open water. Summer they would be too hot!

get a pair of ranger insultated rubber boots.they are good for -60 to -80 .as for clothes.carhart makes that artic extreme bibs its water proof and its way cheaper than those ice armor suits.

I used to wear Caharts on the ice buit got a set of Arctic Armor and Im very glad I did. Very warm, light and the paddes knees and butt is a very nice bonus. !00% waterproof and they will float ya. Well worth the $ to me. I will wear them in the spring and fall as raingear.

Check out Arctic Armor!

The stuff floats and is warmer than anything I've ever worn on the ice. Windproof, waterproof, breathable, and it floats if you take the plunge. I've worn it for 2 winters now. Worth every penny!

The last I have seen they were jumping into an open hole in a lake, floating around and then ice picked him self to safety in an Artic Armor suit.. I seen this on channel 9.

I will say, some of the most influential dudes from this site use Artic Armor. Hanson is one of them.

I was skeptical about the warmth factor in this suit. I will admit, I have a great set of “Extreme Carhartt” bibs and jacket. It keeps me warm as all get out. On Tuesday I was out crappie fishing in cold/sunny conditions on Mille Lacs in just my bibs. I was hole hoping in slush. My knees got as wet and hinder my thoughts of kneeling down to a hole that held fish. From the experience I have with Artic Armor, this would have not occurred. I have also heard/read first hand that Artic Armor holds up in the cold situations I had questioned it about in the past.

!!!!Plus it floats you to safety wink!!!!

I am sure my images on FM will include Artic Armor suit next year. I just have to figure out what color I want.

Just my opinion.

Shack….

Thanks for the replies. I was particularly interested in hearing from some guys that actually had used the Artic Armor. I'm interested. Do not know if there is a retailer in Rochester that sells them. Would be a little leary ordering on-line without every trying on for size. Could any of you guys that have worn them predict what size I would wear @ 5 foot 11 1/2 inches, 160 #?

I see they have the camo model out now. Could use for late season bowhunting, I suppose, but not sure how deer would react to faint oder of fish slime.

I bought a set of Arctic Armor from Dan when they first came out (as a matter of fact I think it was the first set that he sold) & I have been very happy with them. I have never had to try out the floating part but I will take Dans word for it. As far as fit I think Dan can tell you what size you would need.

Originally Posted By: Cove
I got through another ice fishing season with the old duds but next year I want to change some things so need advice:

1. Life Jackets. I found myself hesitant to wear life jacket in conditions that probably need it because it would muck up my basic cold weather clothing. Do folks wear these over top of their usual fishing cloths? As an middle layer? Is there a type that works best for these situations? I thought of the inflatable kind since takes less space or, then again, the regular type has good insulations value so perhaps buy one that is like a regular jacket to wear under parka?

2. Once the melt starts and there is a lot of slush and water

on top of the ice my LaCrosse Ice Kings start to take on water. I have rubber hunting boots that come up over the calf but they are not warm enough. Boot ideas for wet conditions?

3. Are these special purpose, Ice Fishing parka / bib outfits really any different than a hunting parka / bibs? Would it be worth checking these out?

If you want to look at the Artic Armor suits, they are also stocked at Reel Fishing and Tackle in Madison Lake, MN. That's a little over an hour drive from Rochester.

I think I saw the Artic Armour suits on sale at Joe's Sporting Goods - don't remember the price.

A question about the Artic Armour suits, about 50-60+% of the time I find my self just wearing my Vexilar bibs because they are plenty warm with just a sweatshirt. I assume this would often be the case with the Artic Armour bibs. With the Artic Armours, do you still float if you are just wearing the their bibs, or do you also have to also wear the jacket to get enough floatation to keep you above water??

Just purchased sospenders. I am hoping they will get me to wear a life jacket more often and that is a good thing. The reason I purchased the sospenders is they come in a tall size so they don't ride so high up which is a common complaint of these type of life jackets.

Quote:
Could any of you guys that have worn them predict what size I would wear @ 5 foot 11 1/2 inches, 160 #?

I would say no bigger then a XL but you could email Walleye Dan and ask because he knows his stuff better then me. I have the camo AA and love the stuff because of how light and flexible the material and still very warm.

To me it was no brainer when buying a new suit this year. One floats, the rest don't.

There is plethora of quality gear out there that will keep you dry and warm, but add in that the Arctic Armor floats and for me that seals the deal.