• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pink

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CindyinPink.jpg

This is a perfect example of how "pink" can help you in the outdoors.........just look how close she got to the mighty Wapati grin.gif

Seriously though, I do agree with you all about pink being used to introduce girls and women to the outdoors. Once the introduction is complete, then they should be able to CHOOSE what they want to fish/shoot with. I can honestly say that my fiance has an item or two in the pink camo pattern, it doesn't hurt me any and she likes it........that is the most important thing, IMO.

Hunting / Men-only mentality gives way to include women in the hunt

By M.S. Enkoji

McClatchy Newspapers

Article Last Updated: 02/28/2008 04:36:22 PM CST

In the wilds of Yuba County, Calif., before World War II, Ellie Sharp would join her male hunting partners for a drink at their club after a day of duck hunting.

The men were civil. Including her husband. And her father.

"I was just another member," she said.

But it was still a men's club.

For the longest time, she had to don hunting gear in a closet at the club. Sharp overlooked slights like that and trekked into wetlands for 60 more years, bagging her share of ducks until she turned 97.

In 1959, Sports Illustrated hailed her for breaking barriers into a traditional male bastion.

More than six decades after Sharp's groundbreaking feat, women still represent only a sliver of all hunters, barely 13 percent, according to national surveys. Roughly, a little more than 2 million women in the United States hunt with firearms, according to government and industry surveys.

The overall population of hunters is shrinking, largely because of competition from other activities and urban sprawl, hunters say. Those dwindling numbers forecast more than a dying sport, they say. Hunters and their vast network of organizations pour millions of dollars annually into conservation efforts.

The future of those efforts will be threatened if fewer people take up hunting. So, to revive a moribund sport, some hunting groups are focusing on women to boost their ranks.

Women And Children / "If we want more hunters, you have to target the women, and they will bring the

kids," said Susan Herrgesell, who hunts ducks, pheasants and quail.

The sport's image needs a tuneup, said Herrgesell, who organizes hunter education programs for the California Department of Fish and Game.

"I think women and men both have to realize that if she goes hunting, she doesn't have to be a Rambo," said Herrgesell, 57.

To reach children, a North American group, Ducks Unlimited, which spent $162 million in 2006 on preserving 170,000 wildland acres, is offering materials to elementary schools to generate interest in conservation and the outdoors.

The organization targets schools near wetlands, said Lewis Ruddick, state chairman for the group.

The day of the white-male-dominated image of hunting needs to sunset, said Bob McLanderss, president of the California Waterfowl Association. That would include hunting clubs that subtly or not-so-subtly bar women.

"It's not helping us if we want hunting to continue," he said.

It also means promoting diverse aspects of the hunting culture, which includes environmental stewardship, how to cook wild game and artistic depictions, such as woodcarvings, McLanderss said.

The nonprofit association is launching the Women's Outdoor Connections initiative to find ways to appeal more to women, who now represent 20 percent of the membership.

As part of the effort, the group created an annual award to recognize a woman's contributions to the outdoors. The first Artemis Award, named for the Greek goddess of the hunt, will go to Sharp. The former San Francisco socialite from a prominent banking family is now 101 and lives in Orinda.

Family Activity / Women have asked for training headed by women, McLanderss said. Women have also said they prefer integrating into activities rather than "women-only" functions.

"One of the goals is to show it's OK to go out and hunt and fish. I'm speaking of the whole outdoor experience," said Carla Bonderson-Hulse, who is heading a committee for the Waterfowl Association that will explore ways to encourage women.

Born into a family of hunters, Bonderson-Hulse grew up hunting deer, duck and pheasant and still gathers with an extended family for hunting outings.

"I strongly support it as a family activity," said Bonderson-Hulse, 58. "It's not just the hunting. My best memories are of camping and fishing and the outdoor experiences."

This article was in Sunday's Pioneer Press.....

This a good article.

It also articulates the idea, that we ( women ) once again don't want "special" privledges, or special opportunities, we just want equality and inclusion and when we have earned it exceptance and recognition.

Just give us an equal playing field, and let us prove our abilities.

As many of you ladies and some of the guys have said, the dainty hunter, doesn't wear pink, well at least not hunting. But as many have stated, if it give the start to accepting "cool" camoflage then who cares. My oldest is now in 5th grade and she is past the cute fishing pole stuff and now just wants the same stuff I use, same pole, same ruger 22, same camo pattern for bow hunting and so on. But my youngest just turned 6 and she still thinks the pink is right on, she told me just the other day I needed to get her a pink fishing pole. And she has 5 pink ball caps, some with real tree camo mixed in, but she still likes the frilly stuff a little. And if it works, great. She too will get to the stage of just the real stuff soon. I don't have any boy's so I have to roll with the punches that are comin at me, so that means if it must be pink or purple, we do it!!!

Here is a pic of me and my youngest in her Camo snow pants and outdoor gear and some fish we caught earlier this winter. Her big sister has the same outfit.

Fishin050.jpg

And here is my oldest from a night we just couldn't miss, Kennedy and I limited out in less than 3 hours a couple nights before Halloween. What an unbelievable night, we high fived each other the whole way home.

Fishin006.jpg

Whatever I can do to keep them interested is the key.

It such a joy seeing parents taking their kids fishing and hunting whether they are a boy or girl. Things have surely change since I was a child where girls were supposed to "Susie Homemaker" and boys were supposed to be "GI Joes". Kudos to you all!!! She sure is cute in her purple camos.

Thanks for the great read Tom.

muc, you nailed it by telling this forum that it doesn't really matter what color you wear. The only thing that matters is how much fun a person can have wearing whatever they want.

I do agree with Tami that women should be targeted more for the size and fit of gear though. And focus less on the color.

Plus it's more than fit that is frustrating when trying to find gear for the gals. It's downright impossible to find good warm waterproof gear that is designed for women. My two daughters have been wearing hunting clothing made for men for years because they'd freeze in the stuff made for women. Rocky finally came out with a 1200 gram Thinsilate/Gortex women's hunting boots in the last two years

My wife loves hers. I think Lisa has the same ones. ;\)

I love my Rocky Blizzard Stalkers. They're relatively lightweight and very warm. I have average size feet and they aren't too wide. Waterproof and warm-what more could a girl ask for? Maybe if they were PINK...? sick.gifheehee I couldn't resist!

Today I ran across a black/red Strikemaster hardwater wear jacket on sale for $80 snatched it up, now all I need is the bibs. Now I will really be styling while I am out getting skunked. I went out Saturday and the auger ran out of gas, went back to the house and the hubby filled it for me. I asked him if he was sure he had oil in it, "Oh yeah, what do you think I am stupid". I drilled 6 holes and it quit, now it sounds horrible, I think he fried it on me. So Sunday went out and got a new Strikemaster 2000. Not really a total loss the old one was about 14 years old. Gonna have a friend look at it.

I think the marketers will try things to interest and draw in a larger purchasing pool. If it's pink, so be it. I'd never buy pink, not a pink kind of gal. I do fish with some pinkies though, and they may consider it. It's the same reason we see purple cammo and variations in all clothing. More options are always good. I'm more interested in function than fashion when fishing. Now, at work, it's all about the shoes and accessories. Pink does come in handy.

I am laughing so hard at this. We used to fish Ice Cracking lake a lot and we hit some really nice walleyes on a weed shelf that dropped off into deep water. Could not catch a thing trolling, but we decided to try some bobber fishing right in the weeds. What produced best was pink flu flu's. When I told my brother this he called me nut's (diehard walleye fisherman, trolling Lindy rigs), so we took him there and we had 2 nice limits of walleyes at 11:30 in the morning on a bright day. Fished from 11:30 to 1:30 pm, he called it a fluke. Next time we went, same thing.