• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pink

I was snooping around a local sporting goods store and noticed a trend as I wandered from aisle to aisle.....the color pink. In some cases the product is actually named Lady this or Lady that. In other cases it's the same product, just colored pink.

It's obvious to me that some of the mfg's have "seen the light" when it comes to women in fishing and hunting (I've even seen pink guns).

My question to the ladies is, how do you feel about this? Does simply adding the color pink make you want to buy it? From what I can tell, there was no difference in design. Should there be?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also thought about this question. I really want my wife to get into hunting and I have seen the pink shot gun, but she says this would not make her go anymore than she does (which is not at all), just because the gun would be pink.

She allows me to go hunting (as well as fishing), but wants no part in these sports. I am always looking for an edge or something to get her out in the field.

Good topic Dtro.

I think its absolutly rediculous eek.gif

I wish they would spend ther time and resources in making quality clothing and quality equipment that fits womens bodies, hand size, foot size, height, etc. When will they understand that we want quality, not cutezie

I do like pink. But not everything can or should be pink. I would LOVE to have a pink custom ice or open water rod! I don't think I'd want pink Arctic Armor though. I would HATE it if Jim bought me pink tools or an auger. I think it's just a trendy color right now too. It'll probably be some other "in" color next year.

If the color Pink is a way to attract more women to hunting and fishing, I'm all for it.

I do think those women who are already avid outdoorswomen know what they are looking for anyway in proper gear, regardless of what color it is. Good gear is good gear, we all recognize that, regardless of what color it is.

I've noticed that the snowmobiling world is also being overrun with the color pink right now as well.

reelemin,

I think you have a good thought in your post. I think most of these items that are manufactured by "men" for girls, pink is the first thing that comes up in men’s minds to try to get interest from the other sex. It may just one particular person asking another particular person what they would like to see, then they manufacture the item with a good intent. I would not say it is ridiculous, but a start of some sorts. Some would say it is a stereotype, but they have to start some where, I guess (other than proper fitting clothes on the way side).

Good post though.

Originally Posted By: hanson
I've noticed that the snowmobiling world is also being overrun with the color pink right now as well.

Hanson,

I attended a get together/party last night (with my wife cause I could not go back out fishing), that included a coupe different chapters and members of local snowmobile clubs. I have to laugh, because I had a conversation with a gal about her awesome jacket and how it fit. There where about 10 or so different women wearing snowmobile jackets made for women and none of them where pink (other than manufactures pink colors).

LOL, I do not think they would have gave me a great answer, if they asked me about turning to pink grin.gif.

I agree with Reelemin, unforunately most products(i.e. clothes or boots) aren't field tested by women that hunt or fish. They are tested by women that are "occasionals" out in the field and I heard this direct from Browning. Then the final product is bid out to a foreign mgr. Their guns are a different story though.

As a matter of fact I have a boot fetish, I can't find boots that keep my feet warm or fit. They think you want to wear 10 pairs of socks in them and they make them big.

Also here's a different spin on the pink products, I really think this is designed for girls. Kids today are not involved in the outdoors as much. The pink .22 guns are designed to get young girls involved involved in shooting or fishing with the pink rod, or the empowerment feeling so to speak.

Guys here's a tip to get your wife out fishing or hunting... Most women (not all) feel intimidated at trying something for the first time with a group of men and she may be the only woman. And we don't want to look stupid doing it. The MN DNR has great "Becoming an Outdoors Women" programs on everything from hunting, to fishing, to running a chain saw, to deer processing and the programs are fairly reasonably priced and it's all women. Also the NWTF (Turkey Federation) has a women's program too. That way she can get her feet wet with a group of women, make some mistakes and then go with you.

Lastly, remember we can't do the #1 standing up like you can or go behind a car door, sometimes our clothes don't fit because of stupid mgr's (we can get cold easily bring layers), and if the fish aren't biting have boat snacks along. If we say let's go home, then go home because if this is a painful experience then we'll never want to go again. Get a baby sitter, if possible, for the first time or two because then she has to focus on the kids and can't get the real feeling of fishing or hunting. My Dad created his life long hunting, and fishing buddy this way and it worked.

reelemin-you're point about fitting is spot on! The companies who manufacturers outdoor gear need to focus more on that than the color. Obviously I don't mind wearing camo!

MNHuntress, I think you are right that the pink would pull in more girls than women. I do fish primarily with men (although really LOVE fishing with other women-there just aren't that many around-thanks Tami, Wanda and Julie for fishing with me!) and I really wouldn't want to stick out like a piece of pink bubble gum.

Being patient with a woman who is new to any outdoor activity is the key to having a successful outdoorswoman. My husband was very understanding to getting snagged, putting leeches on until I got over that ICK factor, leaving the lake when I was freezing..etc. I also bought good gear the 2nd season I was out there. But if she just doesn't like doing it then she's just not going to go out in the boat, on the ice or in the woods. Not every woman finds these hobbies enjoyable (just like not every man likes to hunt or fish!)

another thought and I may ruffle some feathers here - women would be more interested and comfortable in the out of doors, if gear fit them.

IE:

* Pants that wheren't at least 8 inches too long

* Pants that fit there butt and not a mans gut

* Jakets that didn't hang to there knees

* guns that had the right lenght between butt and triger

* Boots that fit and where warm

* gloves that fit and where warm

Sorry, but this has been a pet peeve of my for ever. I'm short and stocky, it is impossible for me to fine quality clothing that fits.

If its pink camo, thens its really not camoflouge know is it ?

Lets get real, stop treaty women like we're all preciouse, brakeable whimps. Give us quality that can with stand the vigors of the out of doors. And real camo that we can actually use to hide with. \:o

Women do what is neccassry and don't expect that everything has to be perfectly "confortable" for you. If you gotta pee than pee.

I could go on and on but all we want is the SAME quality gear but that fits US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can only tell you when I was looking through an ad for Gander one day and my 3 yr old daughter was telling me how she wanted a pink gun and just as I said there isn't such a....and then there was an ad for a pink stock .22, shotgun, ect...everytime we go to a sporting goods store and I am looking at a new gun she has to have me let her see and touch the "pink" gun because that's what she will have and proceeds to tell me "those are girls' guns, daddy, not boys guns" ...I hope I can afford to get a couple of those pink guns for my daughter before they stop making them...if it will help me get her interested in hunting/shooting and keep her interested in it be a good investment....

I think mfg need to work on the design of outdoor clothes and the color pink is more of an attention getter...but there is a very big emphasis on that now and it will be interesting to watch as the demographic is no longer just for guys....

Down here we have differnt shades of red but no pink. That is bubblegum color. \:D

Wife loves Women in the Outdoors (WITO) program put on by the National Wild Turkey Federation. She's gone to programs in four states so far.

I hear ya Tami- Im tall and chunky, so an XL is WAY too short but fits, so I need to buy XXL that I could smuggle an illegal alien in. XLT would be ideal, but then youre tacking on how much extra for 3" of fabric, not to mention it seems only the top end manufacturers build to suit sizes other than the normal Dick and Jane. Im pretty sure I wouldnt be drawn into hunting/fishing just because they made a jacket with blue sleeves, Id rather they put the time and money into their existing products to make a wider range of sizes and fits. I dont have a problem with the color pink (except pink polos on guys- thats a whole new rant) but I think trends are fine, keeps me from buying new clothes every year as I know in 2-3 theyll be back in style, but I dont want to sit next to you in a blind when you pull out a pink hat and shotgun!

Originally Posted By: reelemin
another thought and I may ruffle some feathers here - women would be more interested and comfortable in the out of doors, if gear fit them.

IE:

* Pants that wheren't at least 8 inches too long

* Pants that fit there butt and not a mans gut

* Jakets that didn't hang to there knees

* guns that had the right lenght between butt and triger

* Boots that fit and where warm

* gloves that fit and where warm.........I could go on and on but all we want is the SAME quality gear but that fits US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more!! I am a big women who loves to fish and I have to alter everything to fit. Bibs----always too long, (probably because I have to buy men's to get them to fit. I buy men's boots because I have wide feet and can't find comfortable ones in womens (even the high priced ones). Gloves I can tolerate if they are not fitting too well. I do think some of the companies have made headway by introducing some better colors than years ago (love the royal blue/black combos, and the red/black one). I think women want the same things men do, quality, fit, comfort, not trendy ideas from someone who sits in an office all day. Pink is a color I want for crappy jigs, not guns or fishing rods or tools.

And men, next time you see a big woman out on the ice fishing, don't make fun of them, don't snicker and sneer. Be proud of this chubby old gal out there drilling all her own holes, sitting out there in the cold all day, then cleaning the fish that I catch all by myself (hubby refuses to clean fish). For I am enjoying something I never thought I would.

Originally Posted By: reelemin
I think its absolutly rediculous eek.gif

I wish they would spend ther time and resources in making quality clothing and quality equipment that fits womens bodies, hand size, foot size, height, etc. When will they understand that we want quality, not cutezie

ditto for me.

Johnson used to make pink "Princess" reels to encourage more girls to fish.

They didn't sell to well and were removed.

Now collectors are looking for them and they sell for good $$.

My niece loves her Barbie and Snoopy fishing poles. If it gets girls out, great! But, it is more geared for fishing than hunting...hunting is not for the "pink".