• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bobber Stops!

LOWinEYEin

If you use Fireline or something like that I found that you had to pretty much use the plastic with hole because the knots will just slid on the line. With mono though the best are bobber knots. I know that somepeople use two knots on fireline and they say that will work so I might have to try that meathod.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

i use the tube and string type on mono and braids. with braids , it seams like i have to tightn it often to stop slip. the rubber never worked for me on braids, line seamed to small for it.

One more thought... I found that the waxed dental floss, wide ribbon one, works great for me. The waxing has enough tack to keep it from slipping, but it will slide if you want to change the depth. I tie it by wrapping it around the line two or three time, then a double square knot pulled tight. Try it, the floss is a lot cheaper than the tube type ties....Kaz

Another trick I came up with is to use a fine strand of copper wire for stops.

Get a chunk of light gage copper wire and strip it, then unwind the filament's.

Twist a strand on the line or tie a slip knot like is illustrated above.

I went to doing this on superbraids and find it very useful. I have not tried it on lighter mono, just on heavy mono, and it worked great for me.

I have used this for tip-up stops/sets rigged with Dacron and Teflon coated line. But with a slightly larger gage copper or with light gage with the coating still on the wire.

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

Surface Tension that looks like somthing a guy will need to try. From reading the things on the Ice Fishing forums it is true that ice fisherman are some of the most inventive people there are.

Good Luck it will be here soon.
Sifty

[This message has been edited by Sifty (edited 11-07-2003).]

If you are going to be using super lines, I'd think you'd want a little more than a plastic bead. You can usually find a pack of glass beads at fabric stores/places like that that will be priced comparatively or cheaper than plastic beads. And the best way to put iton is to put the line through the bead, lopp it back and through the hole again, and "then one 'mor 'gain". To change depth, just push the lure end through and hold, and then the rod end of the line through and hold, and move the bead up or down the line pushing the line in a "somersault" motion. This way, it won't curl the line, and the stop won't move if you don't want it to.

Bu I usually just use premade line on tube bobber stops. I then save the tubes (or you can cut up coffee stirrers, since that's what they are...) and tie new ones, usually with all of the p-line that my friends waste...

------------------
"Cast riiiiight....there."

The knot seems to hold in place fairly well but can slip like another bobber knot.
Vertical fishing is always more of a problem with bobber stops because of the right angle of the rod tip in relationship to your line. You can make one or two extra loops when you tie the knot for added hold but to much will cause your line to stretch and curl when changing depth. Even if you prefer a different stop, being able to tie this on in case your other knot unties or the rubber stop becomes damaged will save you time from a complete re-rigging. Nothing worse then "down time" when the crappies are hitting. smile.gif
Also a tip when using a stop is to lower your rod tip and reel when it come to the stop. I'll have to give the wire Ed suggested a try. Can never have to many go to's.

WhaTT: Actually the knot does not slip when you reel in a fish. It seems to have enough tack to keep it where you tie it. The trick is to tie the knot tight and then trim the excess off so it will go through the line guide on the reel. A double square knot is just that, you tie a regular square knot and thn come back and tie one more loop. I haven't figured how to put a picture of the knot on the post yet, but I think you should get the idea....Kaz

ST, You always have some good fishing ideas for the guys. Your mechanical and construction knowledge is a valuable asset to FM. I tryed to tie bobber stops(half heartedly) but they never work, usually it's after I rigged up and forgot to put one on. blush.gif I'll be trying your idea this winter, save money and time when I forget to put one on. smile.gif The tip on dropping your rod tip to "clear" the guides is what I do to prevent the knot from catching and slideing. Good thing you're not my neighbor, I would always be stopping by asking, "Hey ST, can you help me with this?". Thanks for all the great tips and ideas!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

I found that a chunk of rubber band with the line tied around it works well. Never slips
I make a loop in the line then bring one end of the line back through the loop and insert a chunk of small rubber band, once that's through the loop I pull it tight. the loop that was put back through the first loop tightens onto the rubber band. you then trim the rubber band. if you pull on the rubber band it'll come out and your knot is gone. so every year before I start ice fishing I go to the supply cabinent at work and get my yearly supply of bobber stops. it works really well when your eyelets start freezing up.