• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips & Tidbits - by Tami & Lisa

lisa, reelemin, just a thought, what is your professional fishing advice about brands of fishing lines? i like berkely sensation. 4# for pannies 6# eyes. 15# black braided for nords. figured this would be a good toic since its gettin time to start lookin at open water equipment soon. ill sit back and read now.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hope you ladies don't mind me invading your forum, but i just read a good tip in the "Bass Master" mag.

instead of thowing those address labels you get with your new checks away; take some of them and place one on each of your rods. then cover with a clear plastic tape for protection. just in case! grin.gif

Week of 4/01/08

With all the talk of open water and boat prep, let's not forget we still have some good ice fishing left! With the warmer temps, melting ice and snow gives a lake some fresh water and it can really rejuvenate fish. The thinning ice gives the weeds a chance to receive light and make oxygen making fish more active also. So don't pack up your jiggle sticks yet-get out there and fish!

ok lisa maybe one more time this weekend. its been a while but i am hearing the shorelines are getting a bit shaky. not everyone lives as close to the north pole as you do. hehe.

Hey glenn! Are you heading up north? Good luck, be careful and HAVE FUN!! We have the 2nd Annual Swap Meet in Twig this Saturday and I have a huge test coming up this week. I have to get extra lab time in so no fishing for me this weekend (I'm still doing really well! Yay me!). I think Jim may hit the North Shore rivers though for loopers.

no im not headed north this weekend. would like to before ice is ti bad. we are going out to the campground this weekend, will try for some pannies out there. we are sellint our atv this weekend. i have been really busy with work and getting things done around home. chances are leaning to not getting up north till open water to get cabin from winter to summer mode. good luck on your test, we all know you can do it.

Hey Lisa,

I haven't checked in for a while but was reading through the fishing tips from you and Tami. Great ideas! I too am curious about where you got your ledger. I keep track hap-hazardly during the summer. Can't wait for the ice to melt and the soft water fishing tips \:\)

Ok, so I bought an In-Fisherman a couple days ago and it's such a great magazine to get a person revved up for open water walleyes! I'm going to be trying more plastics this year. Not that I'm totally swearing off the spot tail shiners but they have some great artifials like Gulp, Gulp Alive and Slurpies that look yummy AND deadly. I'll let you know how I do! cool.gif

I use ALOT of plastics for open water ( leeches are my next fav. )

"My go to" - is - - And I can catch most anything with this, but its deadly for Bass, both lg and smallies, - is a Berkley PowerBait 7" Ribbontail Power Worm - Pumpkin / Chartruesse. Texas rigged on a # 8 red hook. grin.gif

I love plastics for open water.

4-29-08

You can figure out some of a lakes underwater features by observing the shoreline and surrounding topographical features. If the shore is sandy or rocky, it's likely that the bottom of the water nearby will be similar. When the land declines steeply to the water, the lake there will drop off sharply into deep water. Where the shore has a gradual slope, the lake near the shore will be likewise.

Ok weather tips: The severe weather season is upon us, it is very important to be aware of the weather around you. An excerpt from NOAA on lightning:

"In the United States, an average of 62 people are killed each year by lightning. In 2007, 45 people were struck and killed by lighting in the U.S.; hundreds of others were injured. Of the victims who were killed by lightning:

* 98% were outside

* 89% were male

* 30% were males between the ages of 20-25

* 25% were standing under a tree

* 25% occurred on or near the water"

Lightning can strike from a storm as far as 10 miles away,but high winds can also be a danger. Many storms can have downbursts that can be 60-100 mph. Hail is another danger along with the possibilities of tornadoes. A wise fisherperson should carry a portable radio and be aware of the forecast before you go out. We were fishing on Ice Cracking one year when we saw a bank of clouds coming over the trees,my husband said we should go in. I said it doesn't look that bad but he insisted and we headed in. We barely made it to shore before the skies turned very nasty looking and we were hit by a large gust front, then severe lightning, hail and rain. If we had waited another 10 minutes we would have still been out on the lake when it hit.

Be safe, be aware and know the conditions before you head out. laugh

5 - 20 - 08

Don't wait for the perfect day, - the right temp, a falling barometer, no rain, just enough cloud cover - get out and enjoy any opportunity you get.

Get on the water - find your spot - set the hook - and reel em in -

Happy summer fishing to all - - - smile