• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips & Tidbits - by Tami & Lisa

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2-12-08

you get 2 this week !!!!! \:D

a ) Be aggressive about catching fish through the ice. Move often if needed, drill lots of holes to locate the fish and to stay on the fish. Cover various levels of the water column, just as you would in open-water fishing.

b ) Anglers are often better off spending less time fishing and more time searching. This is especially true on big bodies of water. The lesson is to fish in high-percentage places. Take the time to find those or figure out where they might be for the species you're seeking.

lisa, if your headed to deer river soon let me know the conditions and fishin report. like to know how hubby did on low. ive been asked to go several times and keep turning it down. to far to drive here some dont have much luck, those kind excuses vut should put it on my must do list one day.

Weekly tip

2-19-08

Perch prefer cool water and travel schools, so the opportunity exits to catch a good number when you locate a school.

Perch will be moving into shallow water soon, and feed on larva on the bottom. I have found that this time of year, a black or mostly black Fiska lure tip with a red spike, works great.

Please add your comments or tips for this weeks "Tip"

2-19-08

Palomar Knots are very simple knots to learn to tie. Also one of the strongest knots out there! It's the only knot I use to tie on swivels, lures and hooks. Here's a step by step guide to tie your own Palomar:

Palomar Knot Instructions:

palomar.gif

Step 1: Double the line and form a loop three to four inches long. Pass the end of the loop through the hook's eye.

Step 2: Holding standing line between thumb and finger, grasp loop with free hand and form a simple overhand knot.

Step 3: Pass hook through loop and draw line while guiding loop over top of eyelet.

Step 4: Pull tag end of line to tighten knot snugly and trim tag end to about 1/8 inch.

*Courtesy of shoreanglingforU

sorry Lisa. Had a good one so thought I'd use it before the perch season really gets under way.

Nice one with the Palmor knot. \:\)

I know 2 maybe 3 knots, and I still have to think about them when ever I'm tying em. But the Palmor is IMO the most versitle and easiest.

Teresa what I do is thread it thru and then come back in from the other side so you will have a loop on one side and the end of the line and the line going to your reel on the other side. Sometimes when the eyes of jigs are painted shut it can be a little tough so I will use a big jig or hook to clean out the eye.