• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips & Tidbits - by Tami & Lisa

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: SlamNFish
\:D your too funny.

I guess since it is a womans forum i better shut up? \:\)

I wouldn't want to get into trouble? \:D

I might add that i'm sure theres plenty i could learn from women about the outdoors? Seriously!

I just gotta becareful not to get the estrogen going to much in you ladies \:D

The old saying a women scorned? \:D

Just Kidding grin.gif

You want a womens option on fixing things, sports, the out of doors ( average everyday things that come up in conversation ). Ask - I can run circles around most men on most subjects. Seriously.

hey lisa thats ok. like i said it really was a smoking for a while. yea id like to try laker fishin once. i love smoked trout to the extent i even buy it. OUCH that hurt to say that. better get off here need to finish packing. tomorrow at this time should be dangerously close to deer river. good luck laker fishin. we still need to have a pop at rileys here in the near future.

You guys are sending chills up my spine talking about a warm 40 degree day. Some day we will move back up there, but ya'll are gonna have to come check on me when it dips below 40 to thaw me out. I wont mention the temp here today

Originally Posted By: LisaTealz
Hey DeeDee-no harm, no foul! I see you've been burning up that photography forum. You have nice pics. Keep up the great work!! You're trip pics are gonna be so nice. Keep on posting, friend! \:D

And I cant wait! ! ! I'll be clickin away all the way up there, while were there and myself.........crying............all the way home. jk I'm trying to take notes on everything they are telling me in the photography forum. I'm glad you like the pictures.

My daughter told me how you hibernate in the summer like we do in the winter. Too hot to do anything. The only help she has is the is 1 mile from the Indian River and if the breeze is out of the east, it does cool down some.

3 - 18 - 08

DRAG SETTINGS: The biggest mistake made by anglers is to have their drag set improperly. Most manufacturers recommend that your drag be set at one-third of your line's test weight. This means that a reel holding 15 pound test line should have the drag set to let out line at 5 pounds of pull. To set your drag run the line out through your rod's guides, tie a loop in the end, then use the hook on a fish scale (the tool, not the fish body part) to pull on the line. When the weight shown on the scale is one-third of your rated line weight, the drag should be letting out line. If not, adjust the drag until it does.

Michael Finley

i was wondering when one of yous were going to start giving up your fishing tips. theres a fishing contest on mille lacs i need to start getting ready for. hehehe. seriously though drag set on your reel in my mind is more important than the strength of the line. good topic reelemin!

3 - 25 - 08

Catch-and-Release Guidelines

These guidelines provide basic information on the most beneficial catch-and-release methods for most small- to medium-sized freshwater and marine fish:

1 If you plan to fish with artificial lures, such as plugs and spoons, consider replacing treble hooks with single hooks. Single hooks are quicker and easier to remove, especially when dealing with such predatory fish as bluefish and northern pike.

Consider pinching the barb on your hooks, since this will make releasing the fish much easier.

2 Plan your release strategy. Decide whether to keep or release any fish prior to angling or at least before removing the fish from the water. Familiarize yourself with any regulations in effect for the species targeted, and gather any items that will facilitate handling and releasing the fish.

3 When a fish is hooked, use a steady, deliberate retrieval technique. This can reduce the amount of stress a hooked fish undergoes when pulled up from the depths too quickly, or when physically exhausted from an overly slow retrieve.

4 Once you have decided on releasing the fish, avoid netting or even removing it from the water if possible. Use needle-nosed pliers to pry the hook from the fish while it is still in the water. Fish that can be lifted by the leader – the short length of line used to attach the end of the fishing line to the lure or hook – can easily be released over the rail using a "dehooker." These devices, whether homemade or purchased, are gaining in popularity in the bluefish industry – to avoid the fish’s nasty teeth – and are useful for releasing a number of other species. A dehooker may simply be a metal rod with a handle at one end and a small upturned hook at the other end. If live bait or a lure is deeply embedded in the fish’s gullet, cut the leader close to the fish’s mouth and let the fish keep the hook. Studies have shown that fish can get rid of the hook up to 120 days later.

5 When landing the fish, it is important to minimize out-of-water time and any fish contact with surrounding surfaces or objects.

- Avoid using landing nets if possible. If a landing net must be used, one with a neoprene bag rather than natural twine should be used. Neoprene removes less of the fish’s mucous coat.

- Do not use a gaff!

- Keep hands moistened. This helps prevent removal of the fish’s natural protective mucous layer, and reduces the chance of subsequent infections in the fish’s skin.

- Minimize handling, particularly of the gills and soft underbelly. Gently prevent the fish from battering itself on surrounding hard surfaces. Place the fish on an old piece of foam cushion and place a wet rag or gloved hand over the fish’s eye. These two actions can do much to subdue even unruly tuna and bluefish.

6 Return the fish to the water headfirst. In most cases, it is best to point the fish’s head straight down and allow the fish to plunge down into the water.

Sources:

Klauber, A. 1992. Catch & Release. In: Nor’easter: Magazine of the Northeast Sea Grant Programs. Fall/Winter 1992.

Malchoff, M.H., M.P. Voiland, and D.B. MacNeill. 1992. Guidelines to Increase Survival of Recreational Sport Fish. Cornell Cooperative Extension Fact Sheet.