• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips & Tidbits - by Tami & Lisa

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aw sweet heart!

go to wally world or even a farm store, a pick up a couple of prs. of the CHEAP reading glasses.( i learned this from an old friend!) $2-$3 a pr.i have them in several of my fishing boxes. if they get lost or broke, no big deal! del

2 - 26 - 08

to piggyback off of Lisa's wonderful knot post last week:

If you are learning to tie a new knot, practice on dry land!. Frozen fingers don't work well, nor do 3 foot waves !! \:o

Use different line strenghts when you practice, to gain expereince with how larger diameters affect the way you tie the knots.

As always, please give your comments on this weeks topics

Week of 2-26-08

Deadsticking

Deadsticking is basically using a super sensitive, flexible-tip lightweight rod (I have a Scotty's Custom deadstick). You rely on the action of the rodtip to tell if you have a bite. I also use a rod holder so that when I have a bite, the rod tips down (it's balanced on a peg) so it offers less resistance. Loosening up the drag offers even less resistance when you get a bite. I use this set up in my portable when I am very close to my rod so I close the bail. I believe the advantages of this setup over bobber fishing is that you don't have to fool with resetting your bobber/bobber stop everytime you move. Often I use just a small jig/plain hook with a minnow for bait. I've caught more fish this year on a deadstick than jigging!

I'm quite new at this so please offer up any more tips on deadsticking to help me out!!

lisa, with all your posts explaining your rash of bad luck fishing this past hardwater season how am i to take any of your tips seriosly? hehehe. just kidding. fm has been busy the past week. ive been out of town working so i havent had much time on fm. my tip of the week, if the fish arent biting go to fm and find out about one where they are an go there. with my luck it will go like this. should of been here yesterday.

The very little fish I HAVE caught have been miraculously caught with this method for the most part!! Can you imagine what kind of state I'd be in if I hadn't experimented with something new this winter!? Scary!! \:D But no worries Glenn, March is right around the corner-my favorite ice fishing month by far-I'll be out alot!

Great tip Lisa. If you don't mind, I'll add a little something to it.

When I use a minnow on a dead stick I like to tail hook it, especially if, on my other line, I use a rattling/noisemaking type lure. The tail hooked minnow offers the classic downward, escape style swimming motion. Many fish will be attracted to either that, or the noisemaking type lure. If attracted to the noisemaking lure, they see the minnow trying to swim away for it's life and it's many too easy of an opportunity for them to pass up. Also, while jigging, if you mark a fish checking out your jig, and it goes away, keep a real close eye on your deadstick. With luck, that's where the fish is going.

Week of 3-4-08

Here's something to do that you will NEVER regret. I bought a Fisherman's Journal and have been writing down all of our fishing adventures in it. The rewards of journaling is two-fold:

1) You can see what worked (or didn't) on your favorite lakes from one trip to the next. Write down all the specifics-time of day, GPS coords, bait and tackle used, most fish caught by, numbers of fish, etc.

2) Your family has a blast reading it since we have lots of family that regularly fishes with us! I also have some trips that they have written in personally too.

It's a wonderful rewarding way to remember those fish stories and takes care of that pesky husband who can't use his hands anymore to describe how big that trophy was in his mind since it's all written down! ;\)\:D

lisa, is this something you do on the lake? we have a log at the cabin we write in also. just little tidbits of info on what happened that weekend, not so much into detail as your expaining. how long have you been doing this?

boiler, i kinda do it for a living so i dot mind writing. i am curios as to how much detail lisa puts into her log book though. i might have an idea. let me know it could help. do you add weather conditions.