• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thanks Don! But yes indeed all my life this is the best fishing for northerns out there I've had! Even my grandpa who's been on the lake for 21 years now hasn't seen a year like this for big northerns. Can't complain cool

This weekend for me was not nearly as productive. Had about a 38" muskie follow up a bucktail and he hit it on the figure-8 but I didn't hook him. A few small northerns as well but might I add on Friday we got 5 1/2" of rain up there and the lake has gone up around 5" but seems to still be going higher. The reason it might still be going up is because between the little lake and the dam, the weeds get so bad it plugs it up so opening the dam still might not work. Also the water temp. is around 68-72 deg.

With sturgeon season opening up this coming weekend I'll be switching gears and targeting them.

Good luck out there guys,

-Zander

Slow weekend of walleye fishing as well. Never did boat a legal fish, but caught several in the 14" range, mostly on crawlers at around 17-20 FOW. BTW, there are no leeches to be had up here, anyone coming up from the cities may want to look around home before heading up.

One father son team had a great morning of muskie fishing with a 46 and a 39 incher boated, but that was their only luck in 4 days of fishing.

I might be mistaken but I think Fish Lake Bait in Harris off of 35-W has decent leeches still.

But I do think that the monsoon rains that were brought upon us on Friday have a big affect on the fishing.

For the coming weekend though it looks as if fishing might not be too well. Thursday is supposed to be close to 90 deg. and Fri., Sat., and Sun. have highs in the 60's and lows in the high 40's-low 50's. Big time cold-front with high pressure. No good in my book. Like I said though, I'll be fishing sturgeon and I don't think high pressure and cold-fronts have as much of an affect on them.

Good luck out there guys,

-Zander

Funny. Saturday and Monday were two of the best days of walleye fishing I have ever had out there. I got mostly keeper sized walleyes all weekend with very few under 15". On Saturday, my largest was 24". I mostly let any of the larger ones go but the mother-in-law wanted a lot of fish for a fish fry on Saturday. On Monday I got a 26" walleye that I did let go. Sunday was a bit tough since the wind was blowing a little harder but I still got a few keepers.

Big Mike's has some larger leeches on Sunday.

full-742-48812-2014_09_01_08_37_52_556.j

full-742-48813-2014_08_30_12_37_06_142.j

The largest fish all came on a leech on a bare hook behind an egg sinker with a two foot leader. Most of the rest of the fish came on a jig with half a crawler. I got fish from 10 feet out to 25 feet. If I got in less than 15 feet I had to fight off the big bluegills. I got more nice bluegills this weekend than I usually get in a year. Hard to really say a pattern but if I got one walleye I really worked an area for a long time. Wish my mother-in-law was not such a pain. I would head up again this weekend!

6" more inches of rain fell since Monday. The lake is around 20" higher than normal. At Stuart's Leisure Acres in the boat lagoon a lot of docks are totally underwater. Some pontoons have snapped their ropes.

Now we're faced with a big time cold-front so I won't be re-thinking my decision of drowning crawlers all weekend long. In past experiences muskie fishing this weekend would be a farce.

Good luck

-Zander

I apparently chose the worse weekend to come. Stayed at the Condos , all docks under water. Fished 7 hours on Friday, 1 fish to show for the effort.

Got frustated and left early saturday and stopped at Balsam Lake on the way home and did well enough to save the trip. Was this just a weird week or is Yellow hard to fish? Almost ready to give up on this lake, or shouldn't I?

math teacher- This has been an odd few weeks on Yellow.

I fished sturgeon all day Saturday and caught about a 40 incher and that's all. Sunday I fished from 7:30am to noon and caught nothing. Heard of several others in the 40" range being caught.

I'll be out next weekend for the bottom feeders as well.

Good luck,

Zander

Tough, tough walleye fishing for me too. Fished Friday afternoon through this morning and ended up with three legal walleyes. Cold front really turned them off.

Super high water, half the docks at Log Cabin Hollow are out.

Well it's already looking like this year will be better than years past for sturgeon. I've got a new little fishing buddy who'll be tagging along in hopes of tying into one. Sunday he got a taste of how boring it can be.

I've decided that for September, Saturdays are all day sturgeon days and Sundays are muskie days until we leave. But with this cold weather and rapidly cooling water temps., a big time switch for tactics is needed. My bucktails and spinner baits that I've been burning all summer won't work. I switched out my boxes and have big, slow moving cowgirls, suicks, Bulldawgs and 10" crankbaits. All big baits that can be retrieved slow to replace my other fast moving baits I've used this summer.

Good luck,

Zander

Might I add, the lake is about 2ft higher than normal. The docks at the Yellow Lake Lodge are totally submerged and the only way you're making it under that yellow bridge is if you're in a kayak...

-Zander

Any luck for the Sturgeon fisherman? We caught 3 on Saturday but nothing of much size. Looked like most boats were in front of river but I didn't see many hook ups from where I was anyway.

Yep, lake is crazy high. Only going to get worse after this rain coming Tuesday into Wednesday. Not exactly sure why its remaining so high but it obviously has to do with the dam. Yep, don't plan on getting in and out of Little Yellow at all for a while.

Apparently the water is so high because weeds are clogging the river down steam from Little Yellow.

I heard something similar. Man its hard to believe weeds could halt that much flow. I talked to a few old timers on the lake last weekend that have never seen it anywhere close to this. I mean we had a lot of rain but cripes, 4 days of no rain and its still going up!

Indeed...further up the river the weeds are so bad it's plugging it all up. Before we got the first monsoon rain on Labor Day weekend I noticed the lake was going up and the current was almost non-existent. But now after about a foot of rain it's really high. It's gonna be a long while before the lake goes back down....maybe late fall.

-Zander