• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is Yellow any good for bass(smallies or largemouth)? We have a family cabin over by Hertel and going up this weekend. Just wondering if Yellow is worth hitting for bass fishing?

Thanks for any feedback.

I don't fish for bass myself, but have caught many incidental to walleye fishing. There are some nice ones in there. Those that target them do pretty good from my understanding. That being said, I'm sure there's better choices in the area.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Any suggestions on better lakes in the area for bass? The cabin is over on Lake Warner, which has plenty of bass, but they are all about one pound. My dad is coming up from Oklahoma and would love to be able to connect him with some smallies.

Thanks. Not trying to make excuses, but when we are at the cabin we are already 2.5 from home and my dad up from OK will be about 13 from home. So jumping into the truck and driving another 3 hours is pretty tough.

Was looking for something withing 30 miles of Siren that might be able to kick out some good fish, smallmouth or largemouth.

If you open it back up to largemouth, Mudhen and Clam Flowage are two that I know of that produce pretty well. I'm sure there are others in the area, I hope someone with more bass knowledge than me will chime in.

I'm getting really tired of this weather pattern. Every 3 days it seems a cold front comes through and we've gotten no real warm weather this year. The warmest surface water temp I've seen this year is 78. It's definitely affecting the bigger muskies as I've pounded the lake this year and only seen one decent fish and that was about a 40". Hopefully we get a string of hot stuff in August to maybe move the bigger muskies but it just doesn't look like it. That's my little rant for the day.

Good luck fishin', have fun and be safe!

-Zander

My 8 year old caught a 22in smallie on Sand lake over the weekend but I think it was a fluke as I've only caught about 10 throughout the years. Its gonna cost me to as I assume its going on the wall.

Plenty of large mouth lakes in the area. Closest good smallie water probably be Clam River Flowage(Not Clam Lake). Otherwise 40 minute drives gets you up around Hayward, lots of big smallies up there.

You all seem to be very knowledgeable about Yellow Lake. I could really use some help! I'm here with my children and grandchildren for a week, and are getting skunked! We have tried crawlers, leeches, spoons, frogs, all of our usual tricks and nothing seems to be working. Can you recommend a tactic, or maybe a favorite spot? We read what an excellent fishing Lake this is, but we're just not having any luck. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Lead core works well this time of year. If you don't have it, three oz bottom bouncers with a six foot leader and a shad rap will work. Fish the deep break/transition around the lake and you will catch some fish smile (eyes, crappies/pike)

DonBo (or anyone) -- Any shallow rock piles on the south side near the river?

Not many rocks anywhere on the lake. Some shoreline stuff, mostly on the west side and near Jeffries Landing. There is the "rock pile" offshore on the west side.

Pretty excited to get back up after missing last weekend, only to be humbled Saturday with just one legal walleye. Did manage to land a 38" northern on my 6 lb walleye rig. THAT was fun.

This morning...limits in minutes! Day to day, you just never know. All fish came on leeches from around 18 FOW.

Monday we went out at about 11:00am because it stopped raining and was still cloudy so we decided to cast the north shore for muskies. We got out in front of Stuart's Leisure Acres and no sooner then that a nice drizzle started back up. (yayy) We started working our way down the shoreline weed beds on the outside edges in about 6FOW and I was using a black and silver Blue Fox vibrax #6 and I hooked into a big northern in the 38"-42" range I only saw his side when he hit the lure and then he shook his head and got off. This was at about 12:55. About 10 minutes after I had about a 45"-48" muskie follow my lure right up to the boat and then explode off. We went down a little ways and looped back into where I raised that fish and my grandpa had it chase his black and silver spinner bait but it didn't hit it. All in all it was a decent morning. I'll be out again this weekend and will write back after.

Until then, good luck and stay safe!

-Zander

Hi All, just an introduction of myself to the Yellow Lake reports forum. I'm Jeff, a long time reader of the forums, but first time poster.

More recently I've been following the Yellow Lake forum, as we purchased a place on Yellow Lake just under a month ago. This forum played a big part in convincing me that Yellow Lake is where we wanted to be for fishing, so thank you for all of your contributions fishing reports, advice and photos!

I've enjoyed fishing over the years, both open water and ice for walleye and panfish, when I've had the time. I'm hoping now that we're on Yellow that amount will increase dramatically and I am able to expand my fishing for muskie, northern, bass and sturgeon. Just need to take care of some minor details like a dock and boat! laugh

Once those are in place I hope to be a regular contributer to this forum moving forward, as repayment for the great resource you all have made it over the years!

I do plan on heading out this Saturday on a friends boat.

I'll report back how we end up doing.

Thanks again for all of your contributions.

-Jeff

Late August and walleyes are still pretty active. Leeches and crawlers (better have both because they show a definite preference at times) in 16-20 FOW continues to work for me. Hard bottom areas have been key. Big bonus gills are also taken in this deeper water.