• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The second weekend of October, I raised two fish on the north shore in 5 FOW and right in the weeds. One was low 40's and the other was mid to upper 40's. Both followed up a walleye colored jerkbait. Might I add the water temp. was in the upper 50's.

I'd say if the water temp. on Yellow is still in the fifties and you can find green weeds, fish the weed beds you'd typically fish in the summer.

If you find green weeds, fish with a suspending glider like a Phantom or throw a double 10 blade bait.

Another option is outside the weed edge in 9-12FOW with cranks.

Good luck and let us know how you do if you do.

-Zander

Braved the 20mph winds today and went out on Yellow. Had to launch by Yellow Lake Lodge. Harder than heck to control the boat unless you were within 100 yards of the west shoreline. Gave up after 30 minutes and drifted the steep breaks on the north shore with two 14" suckers. Jigged a Fuzzy Duzzit along the drift too. Marked a lot of fish suspended in 20' of water, but no takers. Trolled back to the launch with a perch colored Depthraider and still no takers. Water temp was right around 51 degrees. Surprising amount of boats on the water considering the winds. Hoping to get up in the next week or two to hit Yellow or McKenzie, weather dependent, and get after some hawgs. Best of luck to all.

Vic

I'd try shallow still. Fish mid-day just inside of the weeds in 6-7 FOW casting a reg. double dawg, big blade bait (double 10's), or a 8"-10" Jake and if you can without getting it into the weeds drag a sucker 10 feet or so behind the boat.

Good luck,

-Zander

Well my next report will be ice! A lot small lakes and ponds down here in the cities are icing up. I plan on heading up near Yellow the weekend before Thanksgiving to check on some lakes. Will update then!

Good luck,

-Zander

I have an update! There is a lot of ice forming as you all know. But down here in the metro I've got 5" all the way across a smaller lake near the size of Little Yellow. From what I've seen Big Yellow is locked up. I will for sure be up in the area this weekend but I won't be going to Yellow. I'll write back with a report then!

Good luck,

-Zander

Yellow Lake by far had the most ice of any lakes I checked up there last weekend. Down by Jeffries there was a solid 8" out to the break and past a little ways however that was as far as I went out. I'm thinking it was at least 6" all the way across.

Might be up in the area again this weekend but I don't think I'll be hitting Yellow. I'll report back when I'm at Yellow next.

Good luck and happy holidays,

-Zander

Headed out on Yellow Saturday, 11/29, from Noon - 5 pm. Fished the west side of the lake in about 10 feet of water. There was at least 6 inches of solid ice, which felt safe for walking and even saw a 4 wheeler driving around while we were out there. Fishing was slow for the 2 of us. We caught 3 Perch jigging a minnow tipped spoon off the bottom, but not much for size. Also caught a small Northern and one Walleye, which was closed to keeper length, both were caught with jig with full fathead. All went back.

Plan on giving it another try next weekend. Look forward to hearing more reports on this early ice.

Best of luck to everyone,

Jeff

I'm going to attempt to get to Yellow this weekend and try for some eyes. If not I'll be around Siren searching for panfish. I'll be sure to report back.

Good luck,

-Zander

I'm heading to some Siren area lakes this weekend. But Yellow will probably have 10"-14" of ice because it had 7"-8" the weekend before Thanksgiving.

We had an insanely early start this year. But now we're faced with a slight warm up and we won't make much of any ice for around the next week and a half. The upside of this slight warm up is that we'll have some beautiful weather to hole hop and cover a lot of water fishing outside.

I'm thinking most lakes up there are going to be between 8"-14" but that's my predictions. I'll be back to write reports either Sunday or Monday.

Until then, good luck!

-Zander

Good Luck Zander, look forward to the updates after the weekend. We have a large group coming up to Yellow for the weekend with nothing but plans to ice fish. We'll be out on the west side of the lake trying our best to catch some fish. I'll post ice and fish updates after the weekend.

Jeff

Hi All-

We were out Saturday and Sunday on the west side of the lake.

I measured a good 11 inches of ice where I was fishing.

Not much biting for my group, other than a few perch, a small musky and very large lake sturgeon.

We fished anywhere from 20 feet up to 8 feet deep.

No luck with the walleye or panfish.

Hope to get out there again in 2 weeks.

Good luck to all.

Jeff

Any word on the east side by Jeffreys landing and North of there? I've been told that there might be some springs in the area in front of log cabin hollow resort.. any truth to that?

No springs up that shoreline that I know of.

There isn't any springs over on that side. The ice is really crappy where the river comes in but everyone knows that. The only spring I've ever seen on that lake is on the north shore just west of the Ike's access but it's right on shore in like 6" of water so it won't hurt you any.

Good luck,

-Zander