• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sounds like a good place to be. LOL. This weekend looks notably better. I know for sure I'lll be out turning ice into swiss cheese. Hopefully I can convince a few to bite but we'll see.

We got out on Wood lake around 9:45-10:00am. We found fish suspended in about 32' FOW. They were fairly aggressive until about noon. We then moved to spirit lake. We walked all the way down to the shallow bay. Cut about 15-18 holes only to find non-aggressive fish. Only caught one fish on spirit. About a 18" large mouth.

As for ice, Big Wood had about 14" all over. There was also vehicles and wheelhouses all over. We walked because we weren't quite sure about the ice conditions.

Spirit lake however,the ice was much less stable and consistent. Where we drilled the first holes there was about 12". As I was drilling, I found 12" in most places. However, I drilled in a snow drift and found only about 6" or so of ice. There was drifts everywhere so I'm thinking there's also going to be inconsistent ice everywhere.

The fishing over all was not too hot. I'll be out next weekend as well. Most likely on Mille Lacs or Chisago.

Until I write back good luck!

Heading up to Webster this weekend, any estimates on ice thickness after the last few -25 days?

Just wondering if I need to pick up an auger extension before heading up.

thanks!

Welcome to the forums nwwisco! No firsthand knowledge, but they've had a lot of insulating snow up there. Can pretty much guarantee an extention won't be necessary.

Let us know how you do.

If anyone's planning on going out to Big Wood this Sat., let me know. I'll be heading to the cabin near Grantsburg Fri. night and heading out pretty early Sat. morning to get out there.

Is there anyone interested in a 'lil GTG on Big Yellow? I posted a separate thread to discuss who's interested and dates. So far I'm thinking Sat. February 22nd or Sat. March 1st.

Let me know,

-Zander

For anyone who is interested, DonBo and I have organized a GTG for Saturday February 22nd. It'll start at about 11:00am or so. Out in front of Ike Walton's access.

Bring the kids, dogs, and who ever! It'll be a fun event to meet fellow HSO members and share tips, stories and maybe catch a few elusive fish out of yellow lake.

Let me know who is interested by replying on here.

It'll be fun!

-Zander

Exact details:

Date: Saturday February 22nd.

Time: 11:00am until whenever

Where: Out of Ike Walton's access on the north shore of Big Yellow lake

Who: You! And who ever you'd like to bring.

I have never fished yellow before but plan on spending a lot of time on it this summer

Sweet! I'm up pretty much every weekend all summer. Fishing CAN be great. Keep posting!

Donbo has it. There is also bait at Oakland store right on 35 & C or U as you turn to go on the north side of the lake. If you're coming across on 70, there is also backwoods bait in Falun before you head north towards the lake going the backroads.

There is a bunch of ice now (14 inches) and a fair amount of snow. You can get around decent with a 4WD truck, but pulling a shack might be a little tough depending on where you venture. This is my take on the N side, the NE corner was where they fished a truck out a couple weeks back. Granted that truck had been in awhile though.

I was up there out of Ike's the weekend before last and I had seen that truck near the shore with the roof dented in and looking kind of muddy. Also looked like the equipment used to get it out was parked up from the landing. Kinda assumed it went through but didn't know the story.

First time going to yellow this weekend wondering how the bite up there is going for walleye and crappie?

Sorry for the late reply. Walleye the primary spots would be Becky's bar. It's a big sand/gravel bar that comes way out from shore. If you look at the DNR map you'll see it. When you get to the lake and want to find it, you'll know because there's usually a lot of perm. shacks out there. It's pretty much straight out a ways from the Yellow Lake Lodge.

Crappies you'll have to do some searching. I'd start just off the break on the North shore and work down it punching lots of holes. I'd also target an area that's just due east of where the Yellow river comes in. It's a deep basin(deepest in the lake at 29'-31') and punch holes and search all over that area. Hope this helps!

-Zander

I can't say for sure weather or not I'll be on Yellow this weekend. I'm really hoping to though. I'll end up fishing in the Chisago area if I'm not at yellow.

I did tie some ice flies I'll hopefully get pictures of this afternoon. They're made for bluegill but crappies will probably really like them too. As well as perch.

And ugh, what do you guys think of this snow?! I'm going to need one of those big red trail blazer v-plows they use on Upper Red and Mille Lacs. smile

Alright so I've noticed something here. It's concerning. Slightly. But, there is very few people posting reports or talking about yellow now a days on here. As compared to last year there was much more. I'd be posting more but the thing is I haven't gotten to yellow yet this year.

Oh well,

Zander