• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Worse...I heard around 3". Also the lakes gone up another 3" or so. Not good. They opened up the dam but shoreline erosion was too much of an issue so they closed it back. Crazy flippin' weather...

Taken back, 4 1/2" of rain in the rain gauge yesterday evening. The lagoon at Stuart's Leisure Acres is totally flooded. They only way people can get to docks if if they lift the docks which is a process in itself. Man, it's gonna be a while before this goes down though....maybe a month or even more.

The campground owners are losing big time property. So far between 2'-3' of shoreline has completely eroded. The channel between the lakes is widening out big time. I think the water has risen over the rocks on the west side of the channel as well.

My grandpa has been on the lake for 21 years now and the only other time he's seen it close to this high was years back in the early 2000's I believe but it was due to a 10" rainfall in October. So this is something that's completely out of the ordinary.

On the contrary the fish seem to be enjoying it as I've noticed they're going shallow. I.E, northerns and bass were being caught in 2ft-3ft of water and we raised a better muskie in only 4' FOW.

Anyways, good luck out there!

-Zander

Thanks for the info. Headed there this afternoon. Have to help lift a dock for a neighbor (UGH!) then hope to get after some Sturgeon. Hopefully something big will cooperate this weekend......

Good luck to everyone. Be watchful of floating debris/dock sections/tires if you haul as* across the lake.

Well this weekend was a total loss. Big winds have been chewing up and eroding shorelines all weekend long. I fished sturgeon all weekend with zero success.

I heard that the dam is in bad shape and need to be repaired. Not sure what how or why but this is just what I heard. Hopefully this water goes down soon though. Totally unreal. Also walleye guys, walleyes are going on fatheads in 20-22FOW.

Same here. I couldn't buy a Sturgeon on Saturday. Tried all day long in many different spots with no success. Couldn't even mark the darn things. A few swimming halfway up the water column was about it.

Water levels are getting annoying. I have to raise my lift canopy just to get my boat out of it.

Also walleye guys, walleyes are going on fatheads in 20-22FOW.

full-20096-49115-thumb.jpg

Didn't make it up this past weekend, there was deer hunting to be done. Plan on being up the next couple weekends though. Looking fwd to a decent fall bite.

Yeah this water in this darn lake is just amazing. Don, you'll be amazed. All weekend long the whole north shore as well as the north east corner and in log cabin hollow, has just been getting chewed up by big waves and high water.

Hope it goes down soon...

-Zander

Well this week is bringing some stable, slightly warmer weather to that area. This weekend however there's what we all want more coming...RAIN! smile

JK...but on a serious note, Friday calls for a 80% chance of rain and Saturday has a 60% chance.

I guess the bright of this is that fishing, theoretically, will be better. Well as a matter of fact muskies should be more mobile this weekend.

I'll be out as always, drowning crawlers. Oh boy, how exciting! wink

Hopefully the rain holds off though...

Good luck,

-Zander

I've been reading up on these goofy sturgeon and have found that up on the Rainy River, guys will also use dead suckers or other dead minnows so I've figured I'm going to add a little spice to my crawlers. wink

Good luck,

Zander

I've been reading up on these goofy sturgeon and have found that up on the Rainy River, guys will also use dead suckers or other dead minnows so I've figured I'm going to add a little spice to my crawlers. wink

Good luck,

Zander

Many on Yellow add fatheads along with crawlers on their hooks. Good luck!

I've also added half a dead herring as well (oily!). They seem to prefer fresh though over anything rotten or stinky like some catfish will like. Seems like after all the screwing around, the ol crawler ball does as much damage as anything else, but its fun trying stuff.

Just gotta find the %$#@! things!

Exactly right on finding them! I'll be out this weekend logging hours searching for these fish in hopes of getting my a dad (who's never caught a sturgeon) to get him to tie into something hopefully in the 60" range.

Good luck,

Will write back Sunday/Monday morning

-Zander

Exactly right on finding them! I'll be out this weekend logging hours searching for these fish in hopes of getting my a dad (who's never caught a sturgeon) to get him to tie into something hopefully in the 60" range.

Good luck,

Will write back Sunday/Monday morning

-Zander

I hope to get up there and try as soon as the truck is fixed. The Equinox isn't quite meant to tow our boat that far. I usually make Yellow a Saturday trip where daylight we target muskies and night we target sturgeon. Somehow I've always done better at muskies up there though.

What's the story on the Yellow Lake sturgeon?

Are they in the lake year-round, or do they migrate into the lake in fall from the River? They can't come in from the St.Croix, correct? (the dam in Danbury stops them I assume).

If they migrate in..........why? to spend the winter?

What's the story on the Yellow Lake sturgeon?

Are they in the lake year-round, or do they migrate into the lake in fall from the River? They can't come in from the St.Croix, correct? (the dam in Danbury stops them I assume).

If they migrate in..........why? to spend the winter?

Sturgeon are year-round residents. Some may spend some time in the Yellow River to spawn.

I'm pretty sure they don't migrate because I see them jump all summer long. You are correct in the sense that the dam stops them from entering the St. Croix. My theory is that they got into the Yellow River system from the St. Croix then the dam was put up trapping them in the lake. That's just my theory though.

So long story short is, they are in there year-round.

Good luck,

-Zander

Nick- Have you caught decent numbers of sturgeon at night? Not sure if they move a heck of a lot down there at night because I've never heard one jump at night even with the hours I've spent out there after sundown.

-Zander

Thanks. Are they caught during the summer too, or just in the fall? I mean, I know the season is in the fall, but do walleye fishermen occasionally pick them up when pulling worm harnesses in spring or summer?

It happens, but is very rare.

Nick- Have you caught decent numbers of sturgeon at night? Not sure if they move a heck of a lot down there at night because I've never heard one jump at night even with the hours I've spent out there after sundown.

-Zander

On the St. Croix yes. You can go out at midnight and there will be over a dozen boats out at the community spot on the Croix. I know I've left at 1 am on Yellow before and there were still lots of guys out.

Saw lot's of people from the sturgeon tourny catch some fish...nice ones too. We caught three on Saturday, a 57", 35", and a 52". But today, nothing.

Gonna take Friday off from school and head up Thursday evening. Hoping on tying into something large. I was the net man this weekend (dad, friend, and grandpa caught fish). I'll be writing throughout the course of the week as always.

NOTE: The water has gone down around 4".

Goodluck,

Zander