• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ride on the 16th

Dave S

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM

I have to admit that I am envious of Somethingfishy's set up with the heated seat and hand/thumb warmers.

It was nice to see someone else with as much junk on their machine as I do. Accessories are half the fun. \:\)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The machine is all fixed now. They cut me a break on the price, good people to work with at Mies in both parts and service. I also found out that John Deere uses the same bulbs and they are cheaper than the polaris ones. Total repair was under $200 plus drive time, 15 minute repair and we are as good as new, minus the tree mark on the brushguard we will refer to that as "character" lol.

2-17-2008fixedbox.jpg

2-17-2008fixed.jpg

Definetly go with the motoalliance bumper, I belive it is a one piece design where as mine is a 3 piece.

I was definetly impressed with the bighorns on Roofers machine, can't wait to get mine. LEP's honda made the way nicely as well. I think my stock pxt's had almost to much bite wanting to dig down in the snow.

The heated seat is an inexpensive option from symtec, I think it was around $30-$40 shipped directly from them.

It was great to meet those who attended, I look forward to a future ride and hopefully meet some other FM'ers.

pity the guys who couldn't make it. Those 2 track trails were a lot of fun. You never knew what you were going to hit or go through or if you were going to make it. Wish I had the time to do it all over again.

I pity me too! Hopefully next time.

Lep, if you tried to e-mail me at all on friday, I'm sorry for not getting back to you. I have been in poor communication since friday morning when I had to disconnect my computer at work. We are moving this week from Glencoe to Belle Plaine and everything is disconnected.

Glad you guys had fun.

Looks like it was a blast. Them pictures look like I would have had a little bit of a hard time on the raptor. Although on most of the trials I ride on when there is snow on them I float over the top, while the 4x4 dig in. Glad to see you got your atv fixed so quick Somethingfishy. Also glad no one got hurt! I will make the next ride forsure!

Good question! I almost forgot about that. Very interesting for me. I normally really eat up the gas with the twin, but it did very good on Sat.

We rode in the morning and fueled up back at the station half way through the day. I used 2.7 gallons in the morning and maybe a little more in the afternoon,(<6 gallons total) putting on 72 miles in the snow. I think it was really good. I think LEP used a little less fuel than I did, even breaking trails part of the time. Maybe he will clarify. The others never said, so they will have to chime in, but I'm interested.

I did hear Fishy say something about using more fuel with his 800 now than his 500 he had. \:\)

Originally Posted By: jltimm
How did you guys do on gas? Did you have to put some in while you were riding?

The 800 sucked the fuel down pretty fast, however the machine is still in break in period, only had 50 miles on it when we started the day. We all topped off at the gas station mid-day.

we probably could have gone all day without refueling, but it's better to be safe than sorry. The Rincon used 2.5 gals on the first half of the day and like Roofer said, he only used 2.7 which I thought was very commendable for the twin. In total, I think I used about 5 gals in the 72 miles fo riding that we logged in.

I don't think the quality of fuel is very good in that neck o fthe woods. I stopped at banning Junction to top off the truck for the journey home and only managed 10 mpg with the tail wind. It was at about 13 mpg on the way up. I will have a set of ramps for the next trip and will load the machine into the back of the truck.

I was in the lead the entire trip breaking trails. I wasn't too sure how the day was going to go after that first side trail where the snow was at least 18 inches deep and I high-centered. The rest of the trails weren't bad with only about 12 inches. I think the lighter weight of the Rincon and a little momentum helped me stay afloat.

The mudbugs that Dozer had on his Grizz seemed to hook up really good as long as he didn't spin the tires too bad. But he was able to go through as much as Roofer with no problem.

Thanks again for letting me join you guys - I had a blast! Some of my notes/observations...

I was very impressed with all the machines for various reasons...the Grizzly for the mods, the King for overall performance, the Honda for breaking trail with little to no problems and the Sport 800 for being a sweet set-up. All great machines, which have given me some ideas for my own add-ons. I have a feeling some money will be spent this year customizing my ride just the way I want it.

Having never been winter trail riding, so I wasn't sure what to expect or how the X2 would perform. Overall, I was pleased with its performance, aside from high-siding once and one uphill stoppage. I was glad the plow mount didn't catch anything, that could've been ugly. I loved the experience and will definitely do it again.

I didn't gauge the gas, but I was about 2/3 full when we topped-off mid-day and I added about a gallon the next day. I figure I probably used a little over 4 gallons for the day.

Count me in on future rides! It's great to meet new people and ride new places.

Thanks again!

I really dont know how mine did on gas, I filled it up out of the can in the back of the truck on our miday fuel stop. With the 11-1 pistion and the cam it needs premium and Ive had problems before with those small gas stations up there not having premium and if they do it seems it has been sitting too long so I always bring my own just to be safe. Mine usually isnt anything to brag about for gas milage sine the Dyno jet kit, which really cut my milage down! I filled that can up sat morning and filled the wheeler up twice out of it and there is about a gallon left in a 6 gallon can so I used about 5 gallons give or take for the day.

I too was very impressed with the performance of the X2. Had the smallest tires of the group and draging the plow mount about 50% of the time and it still went the same places as everyone else did. With a little help up one hill! blush.gif

I was torn on which to do, that or sledding. Two days of sledding vs. one day of wheeling. Yup, I'm greedy, I chose the bigger slice....Dont get me wrong, wheeling is normally my first choice except that I do so much more of that than snowmobiling. I feel guilty letting the sled sit especially as poor as winters have been lately. I had to jump at the opportunity to get the sled out. I did manage to put on over 400 miles between Friday and Saturday and the trails were great. If they hadn't gotten the few inches of fresh snow Thursday I would have chosen the opposite. I know it would have been a lot cheaper to go with you guys, 88 dollars of gas in the sled as opposed to maybe 15 in the wheeler.

Next time! Maybe I can even get another Dave to go....

I know there's been official FM gatherings for ice fishing and the sort, so maybe we need to have our very own FM ATV get-together. A central location would be best since FM has members all over the state. We'll have to figure out a date. I'm booked from now through June. Maybe a late summer/early fall event prior to the annual trail closures? A fall color ride would be cool.

Back to the X2. I was surprised how well it did also. The snow got a little deep in some areas and the plow mount didn't seem to have any effect on the capability. Also impressive was the X2 had the least aggressive tires and it still held it's own.

June? Really?? That's a long ways off. You must be busy.

I plan on a couple rides before then, but not sure when. It's best to get out before it thaws, because the trails close due to high water. Between now and June are the best times to ride.

Summer is buggy and hot, and fall people are busy hunting.

The only options I see in MN is Redtop, St. Croix, and nemadji for being centrally located.

You just need to licence it to ride on Mn trails. I was kinda thinking the same thing as Roofer as far as getting out a couple more times before it thaws out. I am really looking forward to a ride in Wi with all the mud that was talked about in a post on here! grin.gif

The Trails I goto in Wisconsin close in the spring, until Memorial day weekend. That weekend gets pretty busy on the trails, So I was thinking of going the weekend after Memorial weekend to Wisconsin to trail ride. If that works with other?

I have turkey clinics that I'm doing 3 of the 4 weekends in March plus my anniversary is in there also. April will be loaded with events as well, but this might be getting too late with the weather warming like it did this weekend. May is tied up every waking hour of daylight getting the home ready for graduation.

If I'm lucky, I can maybe squeek a weekend in there.

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
The Trails I goto in Wisconsin close in the spring, until Memorial day weekend. That weekend gets pretty busy on the trails, So I was thinking of going the weekend after Memorial weekend to Wisconsin to trail ride. If that works with other?

You're right, it's a little early to plan yet, but I am really thinking about it. Seeing if the wife can get that Sat. off. It would be fun to have a night ride.

Anyone know why I can't send PM's??????

You have an email address 4wanderingeyes?