• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ride on the 16th

Dave S

I'm looking at getting a ride set up for February 16th. According to the DNR HSOforum, Nemadji and the St. Croix State Forest are still open. I plan on calling the Moose Lake office to verify which, if not all trails are open.

If it's under 20 degrees I won't go. The last time I called there was 18 inches of fresh snow on the ground. But we've had spring like temps and even some rain since then.

I'll post back after I call the Moose Lake office.

Anyone interested???

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lep, I think I will go if it is above 20. I wont know for sure until the week before that. If I go I will need to get new tires on my trailer this time. My last 4 trips with the trailer I blew a tire. Im out of spares.

BigDave,

I'm looking at just making this a day trip. Extra gas cans might be an essential item to bring along if we ride from Nemadji to St. Croix and back again.

The trailer I'll be towing might be big enough for a second machine if you're interested. I'll have to find out for sure.

I will try to call the Moose Lake office tomorrow and post back then if all of the trails are open. I'm not 100% certain if the trails that are listed as ATV and snowmobile on my map are dual usage in the winter time but I'll find that out also.

Are you thinking the Gandy Dancer? Besides the gravel road, I don't know how you can get from Nemadji to St. Croix.

If there is snow, there will probably be enough riding for a day in either of these forests.

I'd love to come but I'll be in mexico. by the time you guys leave the trail head, I'll be on my 3rd margarita!!! seriously, I hope that more rides get set up for spring/summer/fall than I can come on!!

Id love to join you guys if youve got room for one more! I have a extended cab pickup and a two place trailer if someone wants to ride with me. If its above 20 degrees of course.

Not my place to say, being LEP started this, but I'm sure anyone is invited. In the past rides everyone got along great, I thought.

I imagine same as other times. No drugs or alcohol (booo j/k) and no Honda's whistle.gif<woops. We stick to legal trails. grin.gif

I'm really hoping for good weather. This weekend I planned on riding at Nemadji, but it's only going to be 5 degrees. crazy.gif

yes, anyone is invited. We had a great time on our last outing. The plus to riding next weekend is there will be no dust sick.gif.

We'll know more later today on which trails are open. if the DNR office says there is too much snow, lets go anyhow. If we have enough machines, it should be a great time. I have a couple basket racks on my machine now, so I won't be doing too much "spirited" riding.

Just a thought, but it might be much warmer riding in the woods. It would be hard not to press the throttle on the GD. Of course, maybe the snow will keep the speeds down a bit and not so cool. Maybe the weather might help out alot also.

Lep,

If your trailer does not work for more than 1 wheeler, I have a trailer that we can put 2 on and my father-in-law has a trailer that is custom built to carry 3 wheelers.

I think this would be fun. I never went riding in the winter before. Although, my winch doesny work right now but that should be OK since there wont be any mud. Snow should be easier to dig out of than mud!

I called the DNR office in Moose Lake this morning and here's what they told me.

The trails are open, but they suggested we not ride the trails with it being snowmobile season. I pressed a little more to get the answers I was looking for because "Pat" was reluctant to say that "yes" we could ride there. She kept emphasizing the Gandy Dancer was open.

I told her that according to the DNR site that the Nemadji and St. Croix State Forests are open and according to the maps, that some of those trails are listed as ATV and snowmobile trails. I had to press her to get a "yes" when I asked if the trails were dual usage.

So good, bad, or ugly, I plan on making the trip barring any sub-20 degree weather or major snow falls between now and then.

I will try to be at the River Inn (or is it the River Side) in Duquette by 9 a.m.

She also stated the DNR is looking to impose a "season" for ATV riding. I think we need to flood our ATVAM lobbyist to buck the DNR if they want to shut us down for the winter months. I can understand for hunting season, but not the entire winter.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
BigDave,

how large of a machine do you have?

Lep, I just have a little Kodiak 400

I have never heard anything about this "season" thing. I would think that if this were true ATVAM would have been all over this. I am going to make some phone calls and e-mails.

I have read about this proposed "season" in regards to Atv's. The DNR is going to recommend to the legislature that an "Atv season" be during the deer hunting season. They are still not sure how to go about this, but the DNR is working on it. Here is the article:

DNR trying to establish off-road riding season

By Joe Albert

Associate Editor

Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:55 AM CST

St. Paul - Deer hunters who have had their hunts interrupted by noise from off-highway vehicles in the past may be in for a reprieve in the future.

The DNR, as directed last year by the Legislature, is working to set up an OHV riding season on state forest lands. Questions remain, like how it would apply to grant-in-aid trails, but the agency is trying to develop a consistent season - one with consistent start and end dates, said Forrest Boe, director of the DNR Trails and Waterways Division.

Officials hope the season is in place by the next firearms deer season. The desire is to reduce conflicts between OHV riders and deer hunters, he said.

“This kind of gives the riders a season - it is going to start on this date and you are going to be done this particular date, and then the forest is used for other uses,” Boe said.

The discussions to this point have been internal, and officials haven't decided on any dates.

Currently, the DNR opens land to riding in the spring once roads and trails are dry enough for traffic. To reduce disturbance during the firearms deer season (including the muzzleloader season), licensed deer hunters may only operate snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles before and after legal shooting hours, and between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

People without a license aren't bound by such rules.

While there isn't widespread OHV use in the fall, every year officials hear about some “conflicts with deer season and OHV riding,” Boe said.

“For the most part, there isn't much recreational riding at that time of the year, but in certain areas it seems like we always get a few riders, and many of those times those riders are from out of state and they don't understand we have a deer season going on,” he said.

One of those places is the Nemadji State Forest, according to Mark Johnson, executive director of the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association. Some of that group's chapters have been talking about the issue “quite a bit,” he said.

The main issue isn't that there are different rules for OHV riders depending on whether they have a deer license or not, Johnson said.

“The problem is, the hunters are out there trying to take a deer, and you've got this huge distraction and huge disturbance taking place nearby,” he said.

Johnson also noted that OHV riders aren't mandated to wear certain colors, like the deer hunters, so if their machines break down they might have to walk through the woods without orange clothing, which presents a safety issue.

Most riders tend to stay out of the woods when the deer season is going on, according to Ray Bohn, of the All-Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota.

While September and October are considered prime months for riding, the season has extended into November because the weather has been warmer, he said. But ATV enthusiasts, he said, likely would be amenable to a season that closed on Oct. 31.

“Ending it before the deer season starts makes sense, but hopefully not too much before the deer season starts,” he said.

“I think the Oct. 31 date, we could live with that.”

The season might not be in place by this spring, but the DNR doesn't need it “to protect the resources,” because the agency can, as it has in the past, use temporary and emergency authorities to open trails when they're dry enough for traffic, Boe said.

But officials hope it's in place by the time the firearms deer season begins. Between now and then, they'll show the plan to legislators and discuss it with the state's riding groups, he said.

BigDave,

the season issue was in last weeks issue of the Outdoor News.

titelines,

your welcome to join us. It might be better without chains.

To get there, go north on I-35 to the Finlayson/Askov exit or what is also known as Banning Junction. I believe it's HWY 23 that angles to the Northeast and heads towards Duquette, Nickerson, and Holyoke. I think Bruno is along there also.

We'll be parking near the restaraunt on the river bank in Duquette.

Keep an eye on this thread in case anything changes.

Lep, that explains it, I let my Outdoor News subscription lapse. I usually go to the Ice fishing show or something like that and get a free hat when I re-new but I didn't get to any shows this year!

I guess I am not sure how they can "close" the ATV season and still allow hunters to use ATVs to get to thier deer stands or pull out a deer. Maybe by only allowing licensed hunters to be on the trails? I guess I would be in favor of that as long as it opens back up again when gun season is over.

I can't imagine that this is a HUGE problem. Even if I weren't hunting, I sure wouldn't go riding in a forest during rifle season!

TL,

a lunch might be a good idea if we go from Nemadji down to the St. Croix trails. I'm not sure what's in Markville for places to eat.

If we choose to stick with Nemadji, we might head back out to the parking area to grab a bite there.