• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crazest thing you have seen on the lake!!

bassNspear

Many years ago, we were on a lake in Central MN when we heard yells and "screams" from a house near us.

We got out of our house and a guy was laying on the ice, with the door of his fish house under him...and a wet dog by him.

Turns out that a dog jumping in a spearing hole after the decoy in a different house close by. The dog went under the ice and came up in the neighbors spear hole, scaring him so bad that he tore the door off the hinges as he tried to get away.

I wouldn't have believed it if I wouldn't have been there. This was over 20 years ago.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a good friend who's dog ate half a dozen small northerns one day. He'd start at the head and chew them up till they were all gone. One after another. I would have hated to be in the house with that dog later that night!

I was ice fishing on LOW with some friends one year and we were BSing as usual when one of the fellows looked into his hole and finds a sauger laying on the surface. He reached down, picked it up, and added it to his catch without missing any conversation as if it was expected. The only thing we could figure was that the fish was either released or got away from a fisherman in another house and it ended up floating up in his hole. The nearest house was probably a couple hundred yards away but we had no idea where it could have come from otherwise.

Bob

My father-in-law had a permanent darkhouse on a lake one time and noticed that whenever he went to his house he always found the hole still open. He figured he had placed his house over a spring or something until one day while fishing he was startled when a muskrat came swimming into the hole. Apparently the rodent was using his house too.

Bob

Back in 1989 had my house out on Gull Lake Wilson Bay. A guy drove his new Cadillac with a house on wheels that looked brand new and went thru on hunters point. My buddy and me snowmobiled over there, the cadillac was new with the sticker on the back no plates. I never heard someone swear so much in my life lol.

We were out on Waubay Lake in South Dakota the last week of March on our ATV's about a mile from the landing. We had come on the south where the shore ice was iffy and you could see open water on the north shore. When you drilled a hole, the first six inches of ice and the last eight or ten was mushy. Well, two guys in a full sized Suburban pulled up close to us. They got out and decided to drill a hole. They punched one hole, looked at it, then threw the auger in back and raced for shore like an old Keystone Cops movie. You couldn't have paid me enough money to get back in that rig with that little of ice holding it.

Another time, I was in my permanent shack on St. Alben's Bay on Tonka. I could hear a diesel engine getting closer and the water suddenly shot out of the hole. When I bailed out of the house, there was a loaded gravel truck driving past, going to sand someone's beach. He hauled a half dozen loads past me that day. It didn't do much to improve the fishing.

About 5-7 years ago my good friend who lives in Bemidji was having a problem of people breaking into his house and others as well. One night he had his wife bring him to the house and locked the door with him inside. After a few hours fishing in the dark, he heard a vehicle pull up outside, then a few doors slamming, and a bunch of kids getting out. Then sound of a crowbar ripping the lock off the door. THen next sound you heard was the sound of Joe's shotgun loaded with dove shot, chambering the first shell, and boom, you then hear a loud ouch followed by some swearing, a few more well placed shots from Joe from out of his wrecked door, blew some nice holes in the side of the guys pickup cab.

An hour later the Sherrif and the CO came to visit. Deputy said he wouldn't press charges on Joe for shooting his kid, if he did not press charges on his kid for Breaking and Entering.

There we no more break-ins on Bemidgi for a while after that.

A few weeks ago a bunch of us were sitting in a little bar and grill having lunch that overlooks Inguadona Lake. A line of 3 snowmobiles starts to pass by on the far side of the lake, nothing unusual, it's a popular trail crossing, until I noticed the last one was towing a canoe! As you can imagine, this started to be noticed by most of the crowd in the restaraunt. We all watched the 3 sleds and canoe work thier way to the backside of the open water near the bridge and park. They then proceeded to launch the canoe into the open water and start paddling around, wearing snowmobiling gear. Was pretty entertaining. They eventually recovered the helmet and various clothing items one of thier party had ripped off and tossed away the night before as he was swimming to shore following the sinking of his sled in the open water. Later the waitress said no one had been hurt, but they had dropped it in during the night sometime. Don't know if they actually recovered the sled yet.

You may have seen this before but it is still entertaining even if I were to see it again and again. I was sitting in my portable one day and it was pretty windy. Looking out at my tip up and I noticed a portable shack closed and blowing across the lake. About 100 yds behind that there was a guy running about half the speed of the wind blown shack. I guess that guy could just wait till it hits shore because he isnt going to catch it. Funny and entertaining

This is a story that a friend of mine likes to tell about a trip to bowstring when that was the place to fish crappies ,, there was 3 of us sitting outside in a smaller circle whaen this guy pulls up and drills right next to me actually getting some of the ice shavings into my hole on my left,, i looked at my buddy and said " can you beleive this?" well after he got done i asked him why he had to pick this spot in our group / his comment was "%%$# you,, its a free lake and i will fish where i want!,, well enough said ,, I reeled up my lines rather poed,, looked at the guy and said would you move your truck cause i want to fish where your transfer case is .. His comment its a big lake you can find another spot,, All i said was thats something that should have been thought of dont you think.. So i fired up my 10" auger and started at the drivers door drilling holes as close togeather as i could... Of course i was useing a few choice words as i drilled.. my 2 buddies just sitting there looking at what i was doing since i didnt tell them my intentions,, I get to the passanger side front bumper and the guys says " hey What are you doing?" all i said was that one way or the other i am going to fish under your transfer case and dont realy give a darn how. He said what a poor sportsman i was and also a few other words,, i just kept drilling till he packed up and left.. This one buddy of mine like to tell this story to members of his fishing club on the range .. Whi;e i went up for a party for his 50th i was asked about this when he made the intro As this is the guy i told you about who will drill holes around your truck if you crowd him ,, sure did get lots of laughs about over the years now ,, but it sure wasnt to funny when it happened blush.gif

I have dreamed of a moment like that!! \:D Although my dream does not include shooting someone but rather grabbing the little punk by the back of the neck and giving him the choice; either we drive to your parents and tell them what you have been doing at 2:00 in the morning or we go straight to the county jail. My perm has been broken into soo many times that we quit locking the door and now remove EVERYTHING. It absolutely sucks that you can't trust anyone anymore!

Nice work boys!

theicehooker...a few times now i've seen portables blow away on the ice with fishermen still in them!!! LOL They can't do anything....just have to ride it out...funny stuff.

I've seen a lot of weird things on the ice. One time I seen a guy roll his nice SUV off of willow point....bad accident. Another time I seen a guy put his front end in off the launch at deer lake...i went over with my truck and hooked up to him to keep him from going all the way in, until the wrecker was able to get there. I've seen a guy lose a pole down the hole...only to catch the fish and the pole a day later!!! I've also been apart of one of the greatest practical jokes i've seen before.....snaged a buddies line but he didn't know...he thinks he has a huge fish on for about 15 minutes we played it out...finally another buddy hooked on a busch light beer full beer can to his hook and we sent it back down the hole....he pulled it up and said "you [PoorWordUsage]....opened the beer and hammered it". I think I wet myself a little on that one.

I have one of the original wood fish traps that I placed youth snow skies for runners. 1 Day with the wind blowing 35-40mph out of the SE and me having to go back in 1 mile to the NW shore, I raised my cover and took off at max speed heading prefectly toward shore were my truck was parked. I had a huge smile on my face with my sail sled going ful speed until I hit a small patch of snow & the sled stopped dead with me going a$$ over t-kettle.

A couple years ago I was fishing in my brothers wheelhouse and 2 of our buddies were in the house next to us. They thought it would be funny if they snuck over and shut off our propane. We heard them giggling out side our house so we waited till they were done and turned it back on. We waited till they were sleeping and switched thier full tank for one of our empties. Next morning they were over in our house trying to warm up since they "ran out" in the middle of the night. A couple days later we came clean and had a good laugh, boy were they P.O.ed. The next time we went fishing with them they waited till we were inside the house and they pulled thier truck right up to our door, we were trapped inside, no way out. It would'nt have been so bad but all our beer was sitting right outside our door. They left the truck there till morning and spent the night drinking OUR beer. They would come to the window and suck down a can right in front of us. We called a truce the next day, we bring the beer inside now just in case.