• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crazest thing you have seen on the lake!!

bassNspear

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonny P...

There were some stories told of the crazy weekends on the ice at the fall walleye get together at Appledoorns. Deitz and Paul W were going on and on about all the fun times up there. Someday soon, I will hopefully get to witness some of that stuff first hand, they had us laughing so hard, Paul almost made it to the point where tears were forming up from laughing so hard. Just thinking back to that night has got me laughing again.

Last Year while fishing a small slough in SE North Dakota, A guy drove out on the ice in a 4 wheel drive, 36" mudder tires, 24" lift kit, 78 camaro. THat't right, Camaro. He was pulling a larger portable with 3 people sitting on the top to hold it down. Pretty gutsy considering there was only about 9" of ice at the time.

About 15 years ago,I had my ice house on a lake just out of the south western metro area. There was a big house kinda out by itself, with no other houses next to it. Every night, there was 10-20 cars that would come and go from this house. I figured it was just a party spot. Well one evening me and a buddy decided to go check it out. As we got close to it, we noticed the house had 2 levels. There were about 10 vehicles parked outside, you could hear the loud music from the car, so we went up to the door, knock someone opens the door and said come on in. They had 3 couches, and a bar in the down stairs, we stayed there and had a beer. Then some others came to the house and asked how many people were in front of us in line, we then figured it out, it was a "whoopi shack", talking to one of the guys downstairs with us he said that there are 4 small rooms upstairs, the lines can go pretty fast!

We left, we didnt want any part of that! We didnt want to catch anything that could be caught there! Not much later that year, we had seen cops come out there, then the house was gone.

Same lake, I didnt see it but someone was making meth out there and there house started on fire, we were on the lake seen the house on fire, and just read it in the paper about them making meth out of the house.

Same lake same year, I was driving off the lake and seen a atv hit a large ice chunk out of a spear hole, he crashed hard! We went over there to check him out, and called an ambulance, I believe he was paralized after that. I dont fish this lake much anymore, to much non fishing action for me.

When I was young we used to fish the Mississippi river quite often down around Prairie Du Chien WI. We found a local guy who would take people across the channel in his airboat for a small fee. We got across the channel fine and setup and caught some of the biggest pan fish I had seen in years. On his next trip out he came around the corner and flipped the airboat and it landed on top of one of his passengers. The guys leg was broken and probably a few ribs. We had to warm him up in a small perm shack that was out there, get the boat turned back up and get him back across the channel to the ambulance......needless to say that was the last time my dad took me there ice fishing, scary sight.

I was walking off of Lower Prior 2 years ago around 6PM and saw a Prior Lake cop sitting on shore in his vehicle by the Sand Point Access. I stopped and talked to him a bit about whatnot, and also told him about an Olds Cutlass that I had seen running no less than 50 mph across the lake to the access, up the hill, and into the parking lot without slowing at all, and how crazy this guy must have to be to do this. He agreed, but said that unless he witnessed it there wasn't much he could do. After a little more chitchat I left and started walking towards the ramp up the hill, and and sure enough; here he came. He was doing the same thing; flying across the ice without his lights on, and on up the access. The cop drove past me and caught him in the parking lot, and had his cherries shining for all to see in the middle of all of the parked icefishermen. Made for a good laugh as I packed up to go.

4wanderingeyes,

Man sounds like good times out on that lake.

My story would be the guy(s) who started the screen name I have today. It was on Martin Lake in the mid 90’s (95-96). I worked second shift and my buddies did also. During the winter it was tradition to hit a lake or two during the week after work. Well, we hit Martin and around 2-3 am on a Tues., we herd a pick up truck revving up over towards the west side and middle area. Sure enough, then we could hear loud music and the peddle was to the metal. Bash! They started running over and threw perms. We where in a portable dark house and you could not see our lights from out side. I still to this day when ice fishing and hear a truck start up or rev up, get uneasy and remember that night/morning on Martin. Ya never know.

This started the term shack bashing, then morphed into shack basher and then the term coined into a buddy of mine’s nick name “Shackbash” and I have started to be known as Shack. Funny how things twist around like that.

1-1. Shack-(bash)=

To bash ones shack. Urban term, to have no fear of the unknown.

We were ice fishing lake of the woods and saw a guy pulling a big lund boat on a trailer acorss the lake with his truck. During early ice we watched a guy driving his truck out on the ice and getting out behind the truck to check the ice. He did this for a while until one of his front tires dropped in to the water.

Shack, all I can say is wow, some people are idiots! I have heard of houses getting hit, but I always thought it could have been an accident. People could have been killed!

At the same lake I was talking about, I seen a car fall through, then when the crane came out to pull it out, the crane dropped in. I didnt see the crane fall in, but seen it in the water.

Back then when it happened, we thought it was just kids doing some bad stuff and they had no brains. Now, I look back and feel it could have been a dispute between some one and a group of others on the lake. At first we thought he randomly blew threw shacks, but I figure now the person must have looked in them to make sure no one was in them. He did not use head light and it was or almost was a full moon. It must have been one mean truck with a heck of a bumper guard. Like one on a tow truck. I will never forget that night and I have seen and been in a lot of weird stuff up on Mill Laces and other lakes

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
I seen a car fall through, then when the crane came out to pull it out, the crane dropped in.

Dang, what lake is this? Between the meth-house explosion and the vehicles on the bottom I don't want to eat the fish!

The best one I can remember on the ice (or near it) was on Lake Vermillion in the 80's. We used to put our 6'x6' perm house out up near the Trout Lake portage. We used to catch really nice crappies up there. Anyway, we had gone out to get the house toward the end of the season. We fished that day and caught 10 to 15 crappies and some northerns. Toward the end of the day we hooked up the house and started dragging it off the lake. We didn't put the fire out in the stove and drove the 5 miles across the lake to Mocassin point. When we got back to the landing there was a annual celebration (bouya base) going on at Mocassin. We pulled the house up near the bar. The smoke was still coming out of the stack. My brother and I went into the bar for a beer and our friend Dave stayed outside with the snowmobile and house. We happened to look out the window to see Dave throwing crappies out on the parking lot. They were still flopping!!!! He was telling people how good the fishing was right there in the middle of the road. O.K. I'll admit it Dave was a little buzzed. The people in the bar were about to fall over from laughing. It was one of lifes greatest moments. Flopping crappies in the middle of a busy road.

My folks use to own a resort in Detroit Lakes. One late winter day I was looking out the window and noticed the ice had pushed about 40 yards away from shore. Watched as a brand new pickup backed up about 200 yds and floored it towards the ramp. That truck didn't hardly clear the edge of the ice before it went straight down nose first!

Originally Posted By: NyQuiLlama
 Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
I seen a car fall through, then when the crane came out to pull it out, the crane dropped in.

Dang, what lake is this? Between the meth-house explosion and the vehicles on the bottom I don't want to eat the fish!

I wont name the lake, but it is in the town of Waconia, and there is an island on the lake ;\) .

"I think he's gonna land....."....Funny Story. I hope the pilot was OK.

Alot of people are probably used to this, but I had to laugh when I saw a pizza guy deliver a pizza to an ice shack on Buffalo. He drove right out to the house.

I once owned a small fishing boat with a homemade trailer. The trailer had a tilt bed and 15" wheels. To say the least it sat pretty darn high up in the air and loading it was a challenge in shallow water. Anyway, a friend and I were fishing a small lake that had a super flat sloping landing. When it came time to land the boat we released the trailer so it could tilt low enough to get the bow started. Unfortunately that also meant that the bow would life quite high. Imagine the boat pointing upward at about 45 degrees with the outboard in the water.

Well, it was windy enough that that the waves began filling the boat and so this added significant weight. That was silly enough but here's the best part.

A couple guys were driving by in their boat and figured they would give us a hand. Apparently they weren't aware of how shallow the beach was. They were coming toward shore at a rather brisk speed and the guy in front decided to stand on the bow and declare, "To the rescue!" At about that same moment the bow of their boat found bottom and he did a perfect face first swan dive into the lake. We busted a gut laughing. I will say that there appeared to be a little bit of the bubbly involved.

Bob