• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

King of the Cats 2007 Team Kitty Twisters

DTro

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I would if I knew how! Help

Marc, go to My Home up above, then edit your personal profile. You will have to link your avatar to your photo (stored on server/photobucket etc). Click the avatar radio button and enter the photo URL.

Got out last night, got 2 small flatheads, 24 and 25 inches long. Nothing big, but did get my wife to catch her first flathead ever! She was cold. Good stiff breeze and sub-50 temperatures. Wahoo!

andrea_flathead.jpg

Wahoo, upgrade! Got a 43x26 flathead, weighed 35 lbs. More details in the other post about it here, was a great evening with Larry! Thanks again LFC!!!

flathead5.jpg

flathead4.jpg

flathead1.jpg

That's 4 flatheads in the last 3 outings in my boat after being skunked on attempt 1. The bite is ON! The best part is that the one fish I got tonight was as big as a dozen or more good sized walleyes PUT TOGETHER!!! Wimpy walleyes...

Now I have to find a channel cat! Missed a run that was likely a nice channel tonight, hopefully I can get one later this week. Not sure but I think I'm taking tomorrow off then fishing Thursday and Friday.

got out for a short amount of time shorefishing last night, a few decent sheepies and a small carp was all i got. nothing on cut bait so maybe the channels werent interested at that time, or i was just looking in the wrong spot. if there is any clearing in the weather tomorrow i'm gonna get out for some lake channels. dont worry guys, ill get on the board soon.

I got out last night with my dog, coworker called at 3:00 and said "hey i'm not going to make it tonight, sorry". I should get your numbers, Rushing, Katman and bgreen, as a copilot that speaks english is usually nice to have! I have Larry's number already. You could email them to me at [email protected] if you want. I often don't know when I'm going out more than a few hours ahead of time, or if I do it's usually no more than the night before, but if you're game and don't mind fishing with a rookie, that's great!

I tried 2 snags and a creek. The first snag produced a hit within 10 minutes, and I had a channel cat that went probably 10 lbs right up to 10 feet from my boat and it got off! This was on a live bullhead, about 6 inches long. Little did I know, this operator error was a foreshadowing of what was to come later. The creek mouth produced nothing. The second snag was the hot bite jackpot, even at 1:00 a.m.!

Ended up getting 2 small flatheads in the boat, one of them only 17x10! Dtro wondered if I was talking about crappies with those dimensions involved! Unfortunately, I missed 5 runs!!! That first nice channel that would have put me on the board in that category, plus 2 more fish that were "on" and got off, plus 2 more runs where when I set the hook there was nothing - one took the bullie and the other bullie was crushed and beat up from the pectoral fins on back. One of the ones that got off was a medium-flathead style of fight that jumped of after about 30 seconds. The other was a jumbo that might have been an upgrade for me, but he jumped off after more than a minute. I didn't see either of these fish.

Lots of action, but unfortunately one laden with operator error from a hook setting perspective. Hookup percentage for me had been pretty good this year, until last night. I went from a 72% hookup rate down to 50% for the year all on one night! Luckily for me, I really don't care what I catch. I was having fun just listening to the crazy wildlife up in that creek valley. Oh yeah, and this crazy owl didn't like us parked near the second snag, he swooped down over my dog 3 times. And this muskrat swam about 2 feet from the boat. My dog has great night vision, ran across the boat really fast to get a better look. I was just happy he didn't jump in again! Plus, getting those flatties on the line for even 30 seconds is quite a thrill, as you still get the thump, ziiiiiiiiiiiing, hook-set, and at least a little fighting!

On the board with a channel 24x13. Had a pretty good night out, caught a few flats, the largest was 27lbs. Prolly would of been an upgrade but I figured I would wait and get something bigger.

Quote:

the largest was 27lbs. Prolly would of been an upgrade but I figured I would wait and get something bigger.

ah....and the strategy begins grin.gif

Nice fish Rob!

Quote:

On the board with a channel 24x13. Had a pretty good night out, caught a few flats, the largest was 27lbs. Prolly would of been an upgrade but I figured I would wait and get something bigger.

Sounds like a good night! Good job. I need to find a channel cat one of these days. I guess someone on the BPCL caught FIVE of them on Friday! Wow.

Quote:

Nice post Brian.... You should put your money where your luck is and sign up for Moores cat contest next Sat. You could make some bling if your streak keeps up like this.

I would love to ride a lucky streak into some bling, but unfortunately I've already committed to going to Mille Lacs for some 'rough fish' on Sunday. I don't think I'd be much of a boat driver after a long night cattin!

How big was your channel? I see that we're only 27.5 points off of second place with the 10 points added onto my flatty. So if your channel was 17.5x10 or bigger, we're actually in second! smile.gif

Quote:

any of you guys think youre going out friday night.

bgreen -- probably not going to make it out Friday. I've got to take it easy a bit. I was out Friday/Saturday/Monday/Tuesday and will be out tomorrow. That's 5 out of 7 days. Not dtro style, but definitely less sleep than I'm used to smile.gif

This cattin is addicting.

Quote:

Awesome. Slowly moving in for the win guys. I'll try my very best to keep more coming.

Katman,

email me when you think you might be going out, I launch out of 35w and Cedar ave, I was by my self last night with 3 fish boated and as many missed ones. Its no prob to swing by and pick you up if your up for it.

[email protected]

Great work team goes to show what happens when we get a few fish on the board.

LFC

45x29! wahoo! Should be 74 i think -- can't add well when i'm tired. No scale. All I know is it was much heavier than the 35 pounder i got earlier. Found the scale in the garage when I got home. Dangit - great spot for it. Well this was a personal best. Too tired to post more right now. Hit at about 2:25, about a 10 minute fight, Jack and I got it in and got some quick picks and let her go again. Glad that just today I bought a nice flexible measuring thingy. 98 cents at menards well spent. much easier to get a good accurate measurement. i took my time seeing as it was my biggest cat ever and I wanted to get a good estimate of weight, since i was a scale-forgetting (Contact Us Please). Got off the water before the fog was too thick. Wahoo!! Would have had more pics but by yourself you tend to take fewer. Got one with control item, sent it to Dtro. Later.

huge_flathead.jpg

That blood isn't the flatty's, it's mine. Oucharoo, maybe I'll wear gloves like a girl next time. Here's a pic of the wound 2.5 hours later after washing it up...it was gushing pretty good at 2:40, blood all over my boat and my camera smile.gif

huge_flathead2.jpg