• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

King of the Cats 2007 Team Kitty Twisters

DTro

Hey thanks for the heads up on the rock pile and fog. Being a river newbie, fog was NOT at the top of my list. The floaters seem few and far between. Must have had higher water earlier to clear most of them out by now. I'll steer clear of those rocks for sure. I happened to go on the bloomington side both times yesterday, so that's good. No sense trashing the lower unit! If I wanted to do that I'd just launch from Carver and go upstream! It's much closer smile.gif

And I "always" have my GPS....except when I don't remember it....or when I don't remember batteries for it....or when the stupid thing says 'waterproof' but then leaks through the battery compartment when you go kayaking and then battery compartment is all corroded and then it stops working for a few days....ironic that the "h20" ifinder model isn't really waterproof like it says on the front...

I will probably be down on the river again tomorrow night, might head East and see what's there. I really don't see a good reason not to. Depending on how that goes, I might head up to Mille Lacs to catch some rough fish on Saturday...who knows.

I am going to try to fish much more than usual this summer, sort of a "get ahead while I have the free time" thing. Not as much as some of y'all though. I mean, dtro might qualify as 'addict' status smile.gif But I do have to take advantage of my bum lifestyle with all evenings and weekends free while it lasts. If things go according to schedule, there's a Thanksgiving baby on the way! Wahoo! Fun, for sure, but definitely a different kind of fun! smile.gif A new ice fishing buddy for next winter! smile.gif

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Being a river newbie, fog was NOT at the top of my list.

LOL! Yeah, most people don't even think of the fog but when the water temps rise up to near 80 in the summer and the night time temps cool way off, you have a recipe for pea soup. smile.gif Its no fun and we've all been in it. As a matter of fact, I believe dtro was in some thick stuff the other night as well. "Hey Tom, you still up there", referring to harvey lee in the front of the boat.

Fog is always on my mind.

Those rock bars around the cans will come out of the water at mid-summer levels. Stay to the north.

Thanks for the tips on the cans. I figured they were barge tie offs, given there location. A twist of fate

running that stretch a couple of times this year, I stayed to the north side. I was going up stream when I would first approach them and came back at night. I followed same path. Ironically, I posted about them the other day in river rats forum. Thanks again you guys for another good tip of advise.

As for fog, I can remember a couple years ago on Pool 2, we were close to Ford dam and it was around 2:00 am to 2:30 am. We started to Lillydale and oh my gosh. I did not think we would make it back. You can not see anything. If I ever end up in this problem again, I think I will find a beach or good shore to tie off too and take a knap until sun rises. All I could think about was hitting another guy stuck out in this stuff. Have not had any fog to deal with since and sure do not want too.

Slang’in and bang’in (the catfish)

SHACKBASH Thanks for the tips on the cans. I figured they were barge tie offs, given there location. A twist of fate

On other stretches of the Mississippi, cans generally (but not always) indicate the tips of wing dams as well. On Pool 3 for example, you do NOT want to run between the cans and shore or you will wreck your lower unit.

Was out last night with HarveyLee, we got a couple of dinks and I missed a couple of what coulda been some major upgrades. mad.gif

Larry, I tried for some channels with some cut bait for about 10mins before giving that up. laugh.gif

Wahoo! I upgraded my 0x0 flathead to a 37x22 tonight! Was out between 7:15 and 11:15 or so. Had this one hit at about 9:15 right after casting out a fresh new bullie. I hadn't even set the rod down and it hit. I don't have a scale, so I don't know how much it weighed. Hopefully throughout the summer I'll get an upgrade somewhere, but this is a great start!!

That was my first flathead ever, and my first non-baitfish on that new rig I picked up a couple weeks back. So that rocks. I am pretty stoked. My dog licked the fish, he saw pics of Dark doing it and thought that was the thing to do... Had another run 20 minutes later, bullhead popped right off when I set the hook. Dang. Now I'll have to get on the board with a channel of some sort!

flathead_20070522.jpg

I sorta cut off my head. I couldn't remember how far back I was standing when I took my practice picture last week...I was too excited holding this big fish. Plus when I took the practice picture it was still light -- I didn't know what the flash would do with the windshield there, so I didn't want to back up too much. I just ducked a bit and hoped the pic would turn out. Good old 10 second timers rock!

Alright Brian,

almost quoting the drill Seargent in Forest Gump

Aanderud!!!! Your a Goldang Genious. We might make pro catman out you yet son!!!!

Nice work mate... Its a good feeling when you get your first.

I tip my hat you are no longer dubbed Newbie, Especially in light of the fact that you had NO ONE show you the ropes.... You went out stone cold first timing, learned from reading and worked it till it happened. Not very many can say that.

Way to go Mate....

It only gets bigger and better from here. And you thought you had Flat fever before...LOOK OUT...

If you can't tell I'm pretty pumped for you.

LFC

Quote:

I tip my hat you are no longer dubbed Newbie, Especially in light of the fact that you had NO ONE show you the ropes.... You went out stone cold first timing, learned from reading and worked it till it happened. Not very many can say that.

I agree with Larry there, thats awesome!! Big Congrats!!

I love to share info along with many of the other folks on the board here, and I love to help people catch fish! Most of the info that I post is not spot specific and will work up and down the Minnesota and even the Mississippi. Heck, it works on the Red too, just a different species. That is definitely what its about... putting the pieces together from info on the site here and having a great night! Its obviously much more satisfying than if we told you to head upstream to GPS coordinate XYZ, toss your bullhead into 9' of water along the cutbank, and you should have a fish on by 9:20am. smile.gif

Now the trick is to replicate that success. wink.gif Good Luck!!

Way to get on the board! Dtro says 24lbs I think its closer to 21-22lbs. The flattie I got was 22lbs at 38 x 22. Doesnt really matter anyways you're on the board! Easily upgradeable! Congrats on your first Flathead on your new rig.

Quote:

Quote:

From a fellow newbie, trying to learn the ropes, it is a heck of a feeling when you finally connect. Mine on Friday is my first for me in my boat, on my spot, with my gear. The wife was not even mad at me when I woke her up at 2:00 AM and showed her the pictures grin.gif Let me tell you it is a different feeling then fishing at someone elses spot grin.gif

Congrats on the fish, now it is only upgrade time grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

From a fellow newbie, trying to learn the ropes, it is a heck of a feeling when you finally connect. Mine on Friday is my first for me in my boat, on my spot, with my gear. The wife was not even mad at me when I woke her up at 2:00 AM and showed her the pictures grin.gif Let me tell you it is a different feeling then fishing at someone elses spot grin.gif

Congrats on the fish, now it is only upgrade time grin.gif

Farmboy,

I forgot that your still pretty new to this as well, I know you've been pounding and putting your time in since last year if I'm recalling correctly,

You earn a tip of the hat as well. It take a lot of hard work and patience to see the pay off but when you do...

WWhoooooo Hooooo....

Nice work on your recent flats mate.

Looks like were on track for a sweeeeeett summer

thanks

LFC

I'm gonna just send out a big "Thanks" for all the tips guys! To everyone here who has helped a newbie and given out tips, catfishing or otherwise, just know that it's highly appreciated. When you've never even seen a flathead in person before, and never had the boat on the river other than the rainy for sturgeon excursion, it's a little intimidating. Basically a whole new ballgame.

With exerienced guys like you telling the ins and outs of how to catch these things (gear, locations, river fishing and navigation, bait, etc), it makes it an order of magnitude easier and faster to come up to speed. By posting your knowledge on message boards like this, you're basically guiding by proxy. Plus, newbs can then gather the tips from everyone and try to put them to use on their own time, in their own boat/shoreline, in their own location, which is very convenient. And you're right, it is more rewarding to find and catch a fish yourself, even if it's a regular sized one, rather than having someone spoon feed you a trophy.

I went 'fishing' once in Mexico for sailfish, and I have to say that, while pulling in an 8 footer is fun, it's more 'reeling' then it is 'fishing', and I won't do that again.

Farmboy, sounds like you got some pretty beefy cats in the other day, good job!

After getting a taste of flatheads, it's gonna be hard to convince myself to head to the pond for 'eyes...although right now I'm not calling flatheads the king of the river -- I have to say that I think sturgeon fight better. Hard tellin after just the one. When I get that 40-50 lb fish on, I might start thinking otherwise smile.gif

Thanks for the kind words Larry.

I do want to say thanks to the guys who post information as well, I would be nowhere near where I am today if not for reading reports and info. I have never fished the Minnesota River, but hearing the types of structure, depth, etc. really helps us newbies convert your knowledge of your home waters into areas to check on our home waters.

The sad thing, is I skipped fishing a walleye tournament last weekend, so I could fish flats all night grin.gif What are you doing to me !

Quote:

Bgreen and Katman, I hope you guys can get out this weekend and catch a few.

dont sweat it. were only through 1 month of a 6 month long contest. dont think i'll be getting out for cats this weekend.

Got out last night in the rain. No upgrade...

Did get a just under 10lb flat... and 11.14 channel.

The bigger ones will start coming out of the wood work soon.

Katman,

Way to go on getting some fish, any measurement for the next ones counts. Don't worry about size if they are small it's easy to upgrade.

Bgreen82,

Your right we got a lot of time.

I can tell from your level of experience and the number of posts that you've put in this thread that you'll take us through the finish line with no problems. We just want to make sure that if we have any sandbaggers...to ditch and swap out before it gets too late to salvage the season. (been there done that) So far the team is rolling good.

Aanderud,

We have to link up one of these days. Sounds like were pounding a lot of the same territory, I got an idea on some spots that I've never tried that look promising if the level drops a couple more feet. (Not to far from where we are talking about at League meeting tonight)

Katman, How often you fish Blackdog area? For some reason I'm recalling the you fish there somewhat frequently, We launch out of 35W a fair amount and if your fishing down there it would be a shame to not round you up or link up on our way out of the gate.

Rob,

when was the last time you logged on for UT04... Seen 30 on a few times but never crossed paths with you. Probably next fall or winter probably after catten season.

thanks

LFC

Quote:

Rob,

when was the last time you logged on for UT04... Seen 30 on a few times but never crossed paths with you. Probably next fall or winter probably after catten season

Yeah I'm not on much in the non winter months and when I am on its like 3am-6am. We have to hook up this season sometime.

Quote:

Katman, How often you fish Blackdog area? For some reason I'm recalling the you fish there somewhat frequently, We launch out of 35W a fair amount and if your fishing down there it would be a shame to not round you up or link up on our way out of the gate.

I was out there a few times a week last season. This season..I started out a little too hot for steelies and trout! I'm set on cats again..FINALLY...but I haven't hooked up to anything worth scoring. BUT...even a 1 pounder will get us up there...so...the next fish I'll take some numbers down w/ a picture. Let me know when you guys go out....I'd love to hook up.

Got out last night and something took my live sucker so hard...it took my rod under. I'm not sure if it was luck but.....my reel caught onto a rock and and the fish just kept on truckin. My 30lb pp broke off somewhere. I'm not sure..but from the looks of it...my line was pretty beat up from last season. Thats also a weakness that I overlooked. My spool is kinda bent and the rod is a bit scratched up but that was somewhat EXCITING! tongue.gif My reel is making weird noises now. Looks like an excuse to pick up a new reel. That old shimano had it coming. Time to pick up an baitrunning okuma. I don't know what happened really...it all happened so fast...I pretty much was in shock. I took a look over to grab another cold drink and .....zinnnnng......thump.....zing...click.....bye bye.

I don't know what it was...but I'm POSITIVE..it would of broken that 50inch, 40+ lb cat on tv! wink.gif That taught me to put my drinks beyond arms reach. Man...was I just sad. I just left after that. Bad night...but exciting!

I'll be out for a bit...taking off to California to fly fish the Merced River this weekend. I'll be back monday. I'll pick up a new reel and hopefully put a dent in our numbers Monday night! grin.gif

Hey finnaly got around to checking out FM. The cat forum here rocks! I already know a few of the guys here! Small world! cool.gif So how does one get in on the action for these friendly competitions. Or the BP league for next year? Keep up the outstanding work fellas! See ya on the water (or shore)