• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota and...Mosquito's???

mjhowe

I know this is not really ice fishing related...but this is the hot forum right now so...

In discussing a move to MN, my wife and I are hung up on the "mosquito thing". Every one she talks to has the ol stereotypical response about the mosquitos...

Now, I know you get em and get em big...but in REALITY, around property and such, you can control them, and its not like they are around all year long so...if the fishing is slow this weekend, chime in about seasons, places they are worse...like can you actually go into town and not get swarmed and carried away grin.gif

I do know a thing or 2 about how you can control them on your own property, and it seems like most of you can live with them or ya'll would have moved to Montana by now!

But seriously, so I can show her what those that live there say about them...help a brother out!!!

Best wishes for a happy healthy and fish filled New Year!!!

Dry years like we had this past year really knock down the misquito population. I live with the woods surrounding the house and the bugs weren't bad at all untill about dark, if there was a breeze it was real pleasant. We sat around the fire and weren't bothered too bad. One thing that I have found that is really great for keeping the skeets at bay is they have a product that you can attach to the garden hose and just spray the trees, shrubs, grass ect, and it keeps them away for a week or so at a time. There is also garlic oil mixed into a fogger that will keep ticks, flies and skeets to a minimum that I believe you can now purchase through the Home Depot. Skeets aren't any reason to fret about and can be dealt with in many ways.

Tunrevir~ smile.gif

I don't think they are that badoverall, but at times they can be terrible. But I have been to other states that are just as bad. Depends how much water there is around. I certainly wouldn't let that affect your decision to move....just use some good repellant and no problemo....

There are millions of mosquitos in Minnesota, all year long. Huge ones. The place is a living hell. Stay away. It's enough to drive strong men mad. There's no way to control them. They're everywhere. When you drill a hole in the ice, a huge cloud of them instantly hatches out of the open water and starts biting you. If you move here, you'll die of West Nile within a week. The only safe place is in downtown Minneapolis, where they have built mosquito-proof skyways so people can walk to lunch without collapsing from blood loss. Don't move here. Stay away.

>>>>The place is a living hell. Stay away. It's enough to drive strong men mad.<<<<<

Thats what I used to tell people about the Flathead Valley in NW MT...no one listened...so you can have it!!

I moved to MT because I liked the way the state WAS. Apparently I was the only one...every one else moves here then wants it to be "Like it was back in _________" (fill in the blank)

Of course its not like this everywhere in MT, only the most desirable places.

Dont worry, I won't move to MN to change anything...just my outlook! smile.gif

It's a nice place to live, even with the skeeters. Course you got the horse and deer flies too, and if you get a black fly hatch, well.... Kidding, but in all reality, the bugs just aren't that bad. The ONLY places I've been that the bugs would change my mind about living there are lots next to small stagnant ponds. Those little potholes are skeeter factories. But remember, you're only going to have bugs late may through early september, because of the other thing we're famous for. Cold weather!

I moved to Minnesota about 11 years ago and love it here. Have lived in SD, IA, IL, and now MN and am glad I reside here and am raising a family. Plus I really like all the outdoor activities that are available in MN. The only thing I miss is the SD Pheasant hunts.

Minnesota is the greatest state in the greatest country PERIOD. (ok I may be a little biased, but it is true).

As others have stated the mosquitos aren't as bad as the jokes about them, but they can get to you. We live in a wooded area that borders a swamp. A real mosquito haven. It was so bad my wife wanted to sell the house. We bought a Comercial grade mosquito sprayer and have NOT had any problems since (3 years now). We spray our yard at the begining of the season, then again two weeks later and monthly after that. It really works great. Three kids 5 and under and they can play outdoors at anytime. Tips are avoid the evening dusk times, there are several sprays that do work very well, and depending on where you live many cities, townships, etc. spray themselves so you don't have to, and there are companies that will spray for you just like you can get lawn service or snow removal. We are in a rural area and do not have the luxury of the county or township spraying. I would not base your move on the mosquitos.

Quote:

Id be more worried about our tax rates than the sqeeters.Stay in big sky if I were you.
smile.gif

taxes defintly bite harder and the sting lasts a hole lot longer and unlike mosquitos the taxes are around after it freezes.you can kill a mosquito that bites you but not taxes

yep I'd stay in big sky country

Minnesota is just an all-around great place to live. You just can't beat the 4 seasons! As for the mosquitos, what others have said here is right. If you live in a community, some will spray, you can do it yourself, or hire someone to come and do it for you. This past summer was probably one of the least mosquito summers I've ever seen. Maybe because it was a bit dry around where I live. As advised previously, avoid the dusk and dawn hours. That is when they are most active. At dusk they're active for an hour or a little better, then they go dormant. We've had bonfires where you start to get eaten up, head inside for an hour or so, come back out and keep the good times rolling. grin.gif

Mosquitos thrive in areas where there is stagnant water levels. Lakes and sloughs that don't fluctuate in water level tend to harbor more mosquitos than those that do fluctuate frequently. Woods that are shaded and damp are mosquito havens also. Residential lots around storm water ponds in developments can be hit or miss depending on how much it rains throughout the year.

In my own opinion, the mosquito season goes into full force around mid-June to early July, but then really tapers off in mid-September. At least that's what I've noticed from my fishing and waterfowl hunting experiences. Two bugs that have become more annoying to me these past few years besides mosquitos are the box elder bug and I think what they call a Japanese beetle (looks like a ladybug). From what I've been told, they were introduced a few years back to kill off other bugs in crop fields, and once the crops start to get harvested, they hit town and can inundate the outside (and inside) of your house. Box elder bugs are basically harmless I believe, but these Japenese beetles can have a nasty sting.

All in all though, MN is a great place to live. cool.gif

I have lived in MN all my life but almost moved up to the Flathead valley. I worked out there for most of a summer and am still glad to this day that I missed out on the job. The guy that did get it moved back within 8 months. He and his wife couldn't stand the dark winter out there. I still think that Kalispell was one of the prettiest places I ever worked but there were many things that soured me. That was back in the mid 90's but I doubt that the real estate prices have changed nor the job outlook by much. The guy that took the job before I could apply, had a hard time finding a house and his new college graduate bride had to flip burgers at Mickey D's because there was nothing else for her. Here in MN we joke about our "state bird", don't joke about our high taxes since it hurts too much and our property prices had been jumping like mad. I work in many different parts of the country but I still love it here in my home state. Too me the things that are far worse than the mosquitos are the horrible sports teams we have and the dufus politicians that get elected here. At least we have some control over the mosquitos. tongue.gif

this was a good year in north central mn for skeeters. not much rain, so the skeeters were non-existant. but there are years they can get bad, wet humid days brings em out.

the downside of the skeeterless year, is the lakes are very low. hard to launch a boat this fall in most lakes.

I worked as a research biologist assisant for Metropolitan Mosquito Control District, the governament agency in the Twin Cities who control skeeters (and blackflies). Worked for them for 5 years, doing specifically mosquito control studies, and pesticide research to control them. I have raised them, sexed them (yep, but it isn't what you think it is, just seperating males and females as you only care about the feamles, as males don't bite), identified them by the 10's of thousands... hehe, my friends always laughed when I told them I had to go "pull my pupae" ha!

Anyway, it is not that bad at all, but at the right palces at the right time it can be brutal. But is it very, very easy to not have problems. And really, they are only a pest from about Mid May until late September, if there is warm weather. The cattail mosquito comes out around July 4, and those guys are annoying (tiger banded legs easily identified with naked eye).

First - simply stay inside around the hour of dawn and dusk, the two major feeding times. This alone will get you 90% of the way to avoiding them.

Wear light colored clothing. Skeeters are after big mammals, and most of those around here are dark colored. Easy enough.

Wear some repellent as needed. If you are in the woods you will need to use all three tactics listed so far.

You will see a noticable increase in skeeters about 7-8 days AFTER a rain of 1 inch or more. So you can pretty closely time when they will be bad. Most skeeters (mainly Aedes vexans) around here will live about 4 weeks on average, but the cattail skeeter will live from early July until late fall.

Anyway, I have collected over 2000 mosquitoes in a "whole person trap" in a 2 minute sample, using people as bait (no repellant during studies, ouch!) during peak times, but that is the exception, and in a non-treated park, at peak skeeter time. But more often than not we would be getting like 12... these were not necessarily mosquito bites, just those attracted to a person in a given space.

So, mosquitos can be bad, but what you hear about are the ugly and more rare stories. You can walk all over town and in the cities and suburbs without even worrying about for the most part. My cabin is total woods area, and some weekends it truly is mosquito filled, but again, only at the one hour around dawn and dusk. You can usually go out an hour after sunset and sit all night with no repellent and not get bit.

Sooo... that's more than you wanted smile.gif But don't worry about MN skeeters as a reason. I think we have 30 species in Mn now, 27 when I was working there. Some are quite pretty, actually, with irridescent (sp?) scales and legs.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

MJ, come on out to wisconsin. Here there are no mosquitos, the view is much better, hunting and fishing great and the best part taxes are sooooooooo low here that Im surprised everyone doesnt live here.

Kidding aside Minnesota is a great place to live, dont let the few skeeters stop you from making a great move.

gl

This works (coming from a guy who WELTS up & itches for a WEEK after getting bitten...) mad.gif

Prevention - Spray the yard woth Bug-B-Gone or equivalent (it has 2.5% Permetherin)

If you want to go out in the evening - wait - until 1/2 hour to 1 hour after full dark. Pretty much gone by then.

If you get bit - put on a medium amount of "VICKS VAPO-RUB".

No kidding - I, who welt up for a week, who have tried everything, has the welk go down flat & the itching STOP in about 30 MINUTES using Vicks !! smile.gif

Everyone - My New Year's present to you. Don't forget. Get some Vicks. smile.gif

Thanks to all for the informational and entertaining posts! I realize that everyone relates differently to bug bites, and my wife is one who seems to attract them and react to them badly.

But, we both agree it wont affect our decision.

Thanks again!!!