• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Little Atom Jigs and Plastics

Shawnny and Pary, good choice on stocking up on some of the LA items.. Definately killer baits!!!

One tip... when out there fishing with these jigs and plastics.. and the fish seem to be sniffing, do try to change up the plastic colors first before changing the jig color. A lot of times this is all you will need to make an unproductive color scheme into a successful one.

They also have them at Minnetonka Outdoors. This is what he wrote to me when I asked where to buy LA jigs.

"Thanks for the accolades Adam, I’m glad to know. Many stores now carry my Little Atom plastics, such as Thorne Bros., Mill’s Fleet Farm, some Gander Mountain stores, Christopherson’s in Alexandria, MN, just off the top of my head. As far as my Little Atom jigs, I’ve not had much luck selling my jigs in your area as the knock-off’s of my originals are plentiful there, among other reasons. The best way to see your local stores in your area carry Little Atom jigs would be to insist on Little Atom originals such as our original Rat Finkie jig, original Purist jig, original Shmoe (commonly knocked-off up there as “Demon”), etc. In the mean time, you are always welcome to order online safely and securely at our shopping cart (www.just-fish.com). I hope that helps, and thanks again! Feel free to contact me any time." Best regards, -Rick DeBaere, owner

I love the L.A. plastics, and am absolutely sold on them, but I lament the quality of the Optic Stealth jig. Every one I have ever had (at least a dozen) the hook loosens and separates from the head; I will not buy this jig anymore for that reason. Very poor quality jig construction, IMO. I can't understand why people rave over this inferiorly-constructed jig. Anybody else have problems like I described?

The jig loosening is old news. It was changed for this season. Companies can only try. Try putting lead on a small hook with that design is hard to do. You my want to try the new ones out, I think you will be happy. For the jigs you have just slide the lead down the shaft of the hook and put a drop of super glue on it and slide the lead back up. Just don't glue your fingers to the jig. wink.gif

Quote:

I love the L.A. plastics, and am absolutely sold on them, but I lament the quality of the Optic Stealth jig. Every one I have ever had (at least a dozen) the hook loosens and separates from the head; I will not buy this jig anymore for that reason. Very poor quality jig construction, IMO. I can't understand why people rave over this inferiorly-constructed jig. Anybody else have problems like I described?

I did have a couple heads loosen out of the dozen Optic Stealths I bought last winter. In talking to the guys at LA it sounds like the isue has been resolved. I really like them otherwise and for a jig so small the hook up ratio is unreal even on bigger fish like the 38" pike I popped last week on a #10 Optic Stealth tipped with a Nuggie on 3 lb test mono. It sure put my new Thorne Brothers "Sweet Thing" to the test. laugh.gif

Quote:

Borch, that must have been one heck of an adventure on light panfish tackle!!!

Yes it was! laugh.gif Add the fact that I was by myself and it well after dark. It was a fun filled 15 minutes. laugh.gif I found out that the drag on the cetus spinning reel was very smooth.

On Wed morning I ordered a little shipment of Bug Luggage from Little Atom, and on Friday evening a box was on my doorstep. It even included a few sample jigs for my luggage. Instead of storing them in my new bug luggage I tied one of them to my line.

Saturday morning at sunrise, it paid off. Here's an 11"er caught on an Optic Stealth jig

ty_crappie1.jpg

I have to add a post here, and give the folks at Little Atom a big thumbs up. I put in an order about 3 weeks ago, and received the order within a couple of days. smile.gif I ordered various plastics, and several Optic Steath jigs. In addition, those guys threw in several extra packs of other plastcs, and some new stuff. Now that is customer service at it's best. I am a rock solid customer now for this line of tackle, and that was just my first order.Thanks,Little Atom!

The Nuggies proved to be worth their weight in gold for us yesterday when chasing down some crappies. Seemed to provide that extra little finesse needed to trigger some of the more finicky fish. Nice thing about the Nuggie is that it's both aggressive and finesse, a great choice for a wide-variety of species in my opinion...

This was my first year of religiously using plastics for panfish. Let me tell you I tried nearly all of them on the market (or at least the ones I was to get my hands on). I had the best luck with the Wedgies. The Nuggies were a close second.

For the most part it seemed like the Little Atom plastics were more prone to attack from big fish. If I wanted numbers I just added a waxie or eurolarva to the presentation.. I am looking forward to more experimenting with Little Atom products next year.

P.S. the Optic jigs were amongst some of my favorites too!

mw