• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Westerns anybody ????

Valv

I am a big fan of western movies, I still think Lonesome Dove it's the best made so far but there are many which are close to what the life used to be.

I used to ranch in Wyoming for many years and still miss that life.

Anyway in the classics section nobody can beat a good John Wayne movie...

Those movies with Tom Sellick, like 'Quiggly Down Under' a favorite of mine. That dude knows how to act the cowboy! He must command some respect with alot of folks, because when Rosie Odonnel sandbagged him on her show, about the NRA and a few other things, he put her right in her place and it wasn't long afterwards, even after an apology that her show went off the air.

Most of Clint Eastwoods westerns. Kevin Costner and Robert Duval played in one I seen here a week or two ago and that wasn't to bad, but the name escapes me?

Every once in awhile a good one will come along, but they are getting fewer and further between.

Hard to beat any of John Wayne's movies. My favorites are Fort Apache, The Shootist and especially The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

But My all time favorite is the old Gary Cooper film "High Noon" with that song playing in the background: "Do not forsake me oh my darling". Classic story of the good guy standing up to the crooks while being hopelessly outnumbered.

Also really like Jimmy Stewart in Winchester 73.

Quote:

Tombstone! My god I love that show.

Greatest movie made...EVER!!!!!! The better half always rolls her eyes when I suggest the DVD or when she comes home and I've got it playing. By the way, that's where my user name comes from. My brother started calling me "lawdog" because he must have figured being a lawyer is close enough to a law man when Ike Clanton called Wyatt "Mr. Kansas Lawdog" and from then on I was "lawdog"...

John Wayne is the king, but Clint Eastwood was also great in his early westerns. My dad watches these thing constantly and I probably saw them all with him 10 times while growing up...

I'd bet that I have watched Tombstone 12 times atleast. I am really not a Val Kilmer fan, but he was an absolute stud in that movie.

Some quotes that stick from that movie are..

"Wyatt, You're an oak"

"I'll be yo huckaberry"

"Johnny Ringo!!"

"Your a daisy if ya do"

Sorry fellas but I gotta disagree with ya.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is hands down the best western ever. Top 5 in best movie ever made.

"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

"To He!! with those boys, buzzards gotta eat as well as worms."

"Mr. Carpetbagger, there's somethin round these parts we like to call a Missoura boat ride."

"How's it on stains?"

I like most of the movies you guys posted.....unfortunately I was abused as a child and forced to watch "hee-haw" and "Lawrence Welk." When my Dad fell asleep in his recliner, I'd flip the channel to "Bonanza." Thank God I grew up and left home before "CNN"

12 times Rost, that's barely a good start, I wore out my VHS copy and got the limited edition DVD to replace it...

One time when my little nephew Jake (who my brother desperately wanted to name Wyatt but it was vetoed) couldn't have been more than about 5 or so he says to his mom and dad in a restaurant while he's getting in a little trouble, "I've got two guns; One for each of you..." My brother spit pop through his nose after that!

Tombstone has some of the best lines in it.

"Tell them I'm coming, and hell's coming with me!"

Thats a great line.

I can't help but notice you all left out the modern day western "Brokeback Mountain". I actually thought it was a good movie, although I think we are talking about a different kind of western here.

There was a Duvall movie on the tube that I thought was good. Broken Trail or something. They had a herd of horses to move and a bunch of characters they pick up along the way. Very good scenery in this flick!

Talking about names for the kids, we named our oldest son Matt (Matthew). I lobbied like a son-of-a-gun for Dillon as a middle name but I got "The look" along with my first maternal veto. So much for childhood memories.

The Outlaw Jose Wales is a classic fellas, but I like the Duke films as well. The Cowboys and Chisum are good. I thought that I was the only one that owned the "Cheyene Social Club."