• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Books

Deitz Dittrich

I've just started on my first book in quite some time...it's a heavy tome no doubt, but I think I will be able to handle it.

It's called "Uncle Johns 3rd bathroom Reader' 224 pages of important information, facts, fantasy and fandango! grin.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few personal favorites of mine (mostly historical fisction or non-fiction)

1. Skeletons of the Zahara - about an American sailor who gets shipwrecked on the coast of Africa and is sold into slavery - TRUE story

2. any AB Guthrie book - deals with frontier life

3. any Stephen Ambrose book, esp. "Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad, 1863-1869", his book a=on Lewis and Clark, and "American Foreign Policy since 1938"

And yes, while for kids, "Old Yeller" and "Where the Red Fern Grows" are classics

If you think you're a true outdoorsman read this book and think again.

Alaska's Wolf Man: The 1915-55 Wilderness Adventures of Frank Glaser, by Jim Reardon.

I just finished reading this book, it's the story of Frank GLaser who trekked across Alaska mostly by foot or dog sled between 1915 and 1955, he spent most of his life in the untapped alaska wilderness trapping and hunting. The author based the book on Glaser's diary entries and from reports he gave to the federal government while he was working for them as a predator agent hunting down wolves. I couldn't beleive some of the things he went through, he must've fell through creeks and rivers a couple dozen times when it was 30 below and thought nothin of it, just get back to shore and start a fire. Very interesting book.

I don't know about great books? I've read some danged good one though! just about everything Michner wrote, same with Puzo, some Harold Robbins, some more the once.

I guess it's all in what interests a person? Centennial I read twice, same with The Godfather, same with Chesepeake.

Just finished a pretty good book titled, "In This Corner...! by Peter Heller. An updated version of an older book about the ring histories and lives of 42 world boxing champions...pretty good as fight books go.

The personal side of the fighters away from the ring, how they got there, what they did when they were done, makes for some interesting reading....if your into that kind of thing.

The Last River Rat by Scott Bestul about Kenny Salwey's life on the Miss R.(WI portion)

Kenny now has a book titled Tales of a River Rat which I requested at the local library. Will report soon.

I am also in a book club with 9 members and we are discussing next Wednesday "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. It's about 2 boys growing up in Afghanistan and how things changed when the Soviets and then the Taliban take over. Great book-one of the best I've ever read.

Lisa

Here's a couple I have read for classes that I think are pretty good:

The Epictetus Club by Jeff Traylor - It is a true story about inmates in an Ohio Penitenary and how they come to grips with accepting they have no one to blame for their mistakes than themselves. It is a very good book that I think everybody should read. It helps you realize you need to take responsibilty for your own actions. I read this one last summer for class and then gave it to my mom to read, she told some friends about it who wanted to read it as well; I haven't seen the book since I gave it to her.

Change Your Brain Change Your Mind - Dr. Daniel Amen - This book is about mental disorders and problems people have with their families and how a lot of it is the result of their brain's not functioning properly. He provides a lot of real life examples from his patients. I thought it was very interesting and makes you look at things in a different light.

Here's a few more I've recently read:

1. Life of Pi - this book was simply amazing and suspenseful. I won't give anything away except for its about a boy who is stuck in a lifeboat with some pretty scary African animals. The first 100 pages of the book is rather slow, but the remaining 2/3 make up for it. I highly suggest it!

2. When Trumpets Call: Theodore Roosevelt after the Whitehouse. The book talks about his African safari and South American ecusrions, but centers mostly on his political activities after his leaving office. The book is not an easy read and the author takes too long to explain a specific point. Lots of information, but too the point where it is information overload. Really wouldn't recommend it.

3 Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage: If you think you had a bad day, read this book about Ernest Shackleton's impressive leadership after his crew got stuck in the sea ice of Antartica. This book will make you realize just how easily we take life for granted - an excellent read!

I recommend a book titled "The Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell, 2004. The life story of Wisconsin native Heimo Korth. He moved to Alaska after high school, learned to live off the land and supports a family in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge.

Just finished a book that a friend gave me intitled, "A Fighters Heart" by Sam Sheridan.

The book delves into the writers involvement and participation in the envoirment of Mixed Matrial Arts, MMA for short. His journeys take him back and forth across the United States, South America and different parts of Asia.

In his quest to participate in and learn more about the art of fighting, he touches on boxing, wrestling, Judo, Mui Thai, and many other forms of hand to hand combat. The reader gets an in depth look at all the behind the scene activities that go into the combat sports. Things that one wouldn't even think about when viewing a match on T.V. or at the arena. Viewers just see two combatants fighting, but there is so much more!

Very interesting for the first 3/4 of the book, then it seems like the writer loses his way?

The last quarter seems to be disconnected and rambling, 500 single sentences that jump all over the place and don't seem to have any value, other then being space fillers?

One sentence might refer to something that was mentioned in the passing, in the first chapter of the book and the next might be giving you the name of a guy selling bananas on a corner in Brazil? Completely unconnected to the story line and of no relevence in the aspect of information, intertainment, or color, adding nothing to the flavor?

In my opinion, his bailing out and wrapping it up 3/4 of the way through the book would have made it a better read?

I would recommend if you like fiction:

Nelson DeMille

I have read all but one of his books and liked all of them. He has a few that have a recurring character named John Corey. The last one is a book called Wild Fire. Most of his are CIA and military stuff.

Next is Vince Flynn a MN author,

His main character is Mitch Rapp and is CIA. All good reads

Another is David Baldacci,

Have only read one book of his but it was worth it and look forward to the others. Again this is dealing with the government and CIA, FBI stuff.

Brian Haig,

Just found this guy and like his style of writing. Son of former Secretary of State Alexander Haig. Fiction and so far his main character is a military lawyer that gets the undesirable cases. Story line keeps you interested and laughable at times.

I have one from Chuck Logan a MN author but have yet to read.

I just finished reading all of the CJ Box books. The first in the series were a little slow and odd, but the newest ones are extremely good.

Thanks for the heads-up on a new author Bobb-O.

Also just read Tony Dungy's Quiet Strength. I would recommend this book! It was great.