• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Tips.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got one of my favorite bowhunting mags last night and they offered several offbeat tactics for the rut. One that I've tried last year as I heard it before is in regards to quiet entry to your stand. If the leaves are everywhere and you are worried about getting busted as you slowly crunch through the leaves, do the opposite and run like heck to your stand the last hundred yards or so, making a lot of noise - kind of like a buck chasing a doe - and then get into your stand asap and wait. One time I did this last year, I had a doe come running in looking all over the place a few minutes later like what the heck was that. She wasn't alarmed, just looking for the chasers I believe.

When I hunt at my cabin i like to drag the trail to my deer stand or go out there with a rake and make the trail down to dirt, i taken so many deer just being able to walk to my deerstand quietly, it takes me a morning to do all of the deerstands but it is well worth the effort.

Tree Stand Safety

This was done by Brian Castellano,I believe BMC.

Hopefully this article will find my fellow deer hunter’s already having some early season success this fall, but more importantly I hope it finds you all SAFE! That’s right, I said safe, after all, when we start climbing into or climbing out of our tree stands that should be our top priority. Nothing can ruin a hunting season or devastate a family like an injury or death related to tree stand hunting.

I’m sure most, if not all of us deer hunter’s have either fallen or had a close call related to tree stand hunting. It doesn’t matter if you hunt out of a portable, climbing, or permanent stand; sooner or later an accident is bound to happen. Hopefully this article may prevent an accident from occurring. Let’s start with preseason, when you’re putting up your tree stand.

When my dad and I plan on “hanging stands” we ALWAYS go together. In case one of us is injured during stand set up, the other person can render aid or get emergency services started if needed. In the last couple year’s we’ve got away from using screw in steps and started using climbing sticks. We’ve both had falls due to screw in steps, specifically the old style that fold in half. Luckily neither of us were injured seriously, although my dad had some serious bruising around his waist from other steps hitting him on the way down. We put the climbing stick together and lean it against the tree, then I will put on a safety belt and hook it around the tree. I then slowly climb the stick, securing the straps as I go. An important tip on climbing stick use is to use the adhesive gripping tape on the steps, if it isn’t already on the steps. This will prevent your foot from slipping off the step if the conditions are wet. Once the climbing stick is secure, I will drop a rope to which the stand is tied on , and then lifted up to where it will be hung on the tree. Once the stand is secured to the tree, I will have to un-hook my safety belt and re-hook it so I can climb onto the stand. Once I’ve done this, I put a bear hug on the tree, keeping one foot on the climbing stick, and use the other foot to stomp on the area of the stand closest to the tree to make sure it locks in to the tree. I will then climb into the stand. I then direct my dad to branches that will need to be trimmed. When I climb down, I again bear hug the tree, keeping one foot on the stand, and then one foot on the first step of the climbing stick. At this point I will have to again un-hook the safety belt rope from around the tree, so I can get below the stand and hook the rope back up to my safety belt. I then climb down from the stand. I always use a “3 points of contact” method. Which means I always have 2 feet and one hand or 2 hands and 1 foot on something solid. This greatly reduces your chance of falling.

For the hunter’s that use a permanent stand, the same principles stated above can be used in your situation. The only problem may occur when you have boards nailed to 2 trees for steps. In this situation, have your hunter’s restraint device on and attach it to a tree as soon as you get onto the platform of your stand. Just because you’re in a permanent stand, don’t let your guard down and not use a hunter’s restraint device.

If you’re planning on using a climbing stand, which we also use on a regular basis, make sure you read the directions and know how to use the stand well before hunting season. Of utmost importance, is being sure the stand is put together exactly as the manufacture recommends. If possible, use a tree in your yard to practice putting the climbing stand on and climbing with it. If you don’t have a suitable tree in your yard, you’ll have to head to the woods. Again, make sure you also use a safety belt and have another person with you on the ground in case of a fall.

When it comes time to hunt, I wear a hunter’s restraint device made by Hunter’s Safety Systems. This is a vest that I wear over my hunting clothes that has straps built into the vest, which greatly avoids tangling issues as opposed to other restraint devices. The only thing I didn’t like about this vest is it only comes with one strap to go around the tree. So this year, I’ve got a couple more straps and some D rings that I can leave on the tree at my stand site. Once I’m in the stand, I put the loop on the strap connected to my vest, into the D-ring that’s attached to the tree by the other strap already around the tree, and I’m set.

Lately I’ve read articles on tree stand safety where a main rope is tied around the tree, above your tree stand and tied around the tree at it’s base. A second piece of smaller diameter rope is used to tie a “prussic knot” on the main line. Your hunter’s safety device strap is then clipped onto the loop of the Prussic knot with a D-ring. As you climb to your stand, you will have to take one hand to slide this knot up with you. If you happen to fall, this knot is designed to tighten on the main rope, preventing you from falling. I think this is an extremely safe way to climb up to your stand, but I haven’t tried it yet. I plan on trying it this fall and will post back on the Archery Forum as to how it works.

Now that we’ve got the basics down, let’s go over some tree stand safety rules that should apply to every hunter who plans on using an elevated stand.

1) ALWAYS use a hunter’s restraint device. Safety belts that only go around your waist are dangerous and can suffocate you if you fall out of your stand.

2) ALWAYS let someone else know where you’re going to be hunting, specifically which stand, and what time you plan on being home.

3) Keep a hand written GPS log of your stand sites and let a family member or hunting partner know where it is.

4) Keep a cell phone or a 2 way radio on your person at all times!

5) Get rid of those screw in steps that fold in half. Use either one piece screw in steps, or better yet, switch to climbing sticks.

6) NEVER carry a weapon with you when you’re climbing into your stand. Use a tow rope!

7) ALWAYS use the “3 points of contact” method when using elevated stands.

8) MAKE SURE your hunter’s restraint device is high enough above your tree stand to allow you to climb back into your stand if you should fall.

In closing, I hope everyone has a safe and fun filled hunting season!

I would just like to say to Dietz,thanks for this great idea of the above archery posts.

I would also like to give a BIG Thank-You to all who took the time to write a article.A job well done by all and some very good info.

This ia a perfect example of how we can all help teach each other for our sport.

Again,Thank-You

I'll add 1 i think i already said this before but here it goes again

When your moving a stand to hunt over the doe this time of year this is what i do and dont do

If i see several doe feeding in a field with no bucks dont go rush in and put up a stand thinking a buck will arrive

Signs to look for that can save you lots of wasted time

If you see adult doe around with no fawns wasted time 9 outa 10 times.Most of these doe have already been bred

So look for adult doe that still have fawns attached.Meaning you can tell a doe thats been bred just by the fawns distance.If they hang tight to her shes not been bred yet chances are high anyways

If the fawns lay back a good distance but still follow her probly a dead end.Sure you might get a buck or 2 to come check her out but like i said look to hunt over doe with a fawn or 2 hanging tight to her side.Bucks will hang around longer on a doe with fawns then just a single doe.

Another sign to look for are the fawns keeping close eyes on whats around them.This alone speaks for itself.They got kicked off a week ago by several bucks.Probly got a antler in the ribs once or twice.More then not this doe has been bred as well.When you see fawns run away when a buck arrives maybe look for others to hunt over

The best sign is when you know the same doe and fawns are around and then 1 day you see this.Mom gets a lil on the [PoorWordUsage]y side with the fawns.She starts to chase them away.Kicks at them when they get to close to her.((That doe is about to lure in a buck))

Well guys this thread seems almost dead so I think I'll give a small somewhat lame tip to keep it going. (so many other good ones have already been posted).

Get out and HUNT! The season isn't over yet! No couch bucks or does will be shot. grin.gif

The ice isn't ready yet so we should all just get out and hunt. Good luck and shoot straight!

Plenty of good deer hunting left this year.Get your warm clithes on and hit the tree.I would be hunting if I had a tag or two left.

I guess I will need to keep bird hunting as the pheasant season is still going and I have not found any ice yet.

I'll be out there! I still have an anterless tag left and there is still some room in the freezer! grin.gif

One comment though. If you are going out in these colder temps, make sure you have practiced in the heavier clothing. I know I have found I need an arm guard to keep the material on the arms of my winter camo jacket from interfering with the string, and making a heck of a lot of noise. The other thing to pay attention to is the collar of your coat... It can definitely mess ya up if it gets in the way!

On the line of trying to shoot with winter clothing.....

I owuld like to point out the importance of getting your release properly positioned on your gloves. Earlier this year someone mentioned missing a deer cause they changed their draw length when the release wasn't tightened properly around their wrist on their gloves.

Well, this very thing happened to me this winter when I put on a heavier pair of gloves. I put my release on and it was hard to get tight enough. When I tied to draw back I couldn't even get the kisser to my mouth and I was over extended with my back arm. When I tightened my release more it brought it back to where it should be for a proper anchor and draw length.

I use a buckle release which I htink is probably easier since I have holes to aim for when tightening. Aslo, making multiple adjustments with a the buckle release are nearly noiseless. Make sure you practice with your gloves and know how tight your release needs to be for that proper anchor.

That's what I do as well. I may go to a slightly heavier gove, but it will still essentially be a jersey glove around my wrist where the release is attached. I basically don't hold my bow at all during the cold weather, it's hanging up. The increased visibility along with generally being able to hear the deer coming from farther away, seem to not make it a problem. I don't do a lot of late season hunting after ML's done, but a few hunts, usually keep them pretty short.

During the coldest times out I will put a disposable hand warmer on top of my head under my headwear. Its amazing how much this seems to help keep you warm. Good luck to all late season hunters, they are all trophys this time of year.