• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Insurance?

fisher_king2004

Just got my invoice to cover my cars and my ATV for next year. Ouch! I've got a 2004 Honda 450 Foreman and I'm wondering what a reasonable insurance cost would be. Does everyone carry insurance? My agent tells me that if I don't carry the ATV on my auto policy then I'm not covered for liability on either my homeowners or my umbrella.

What do the rest of you do?

I have American Family also and I have separate policies for my ATV and the trailer. I don't want to go through the talk of having it attached to another policy. If ya would have done this we would have covered it. You didn't do this so it isn't covered. The way I am covered they have no way to weasel out of paying. smirk.gif

State Farm is getting about $10 a month from me for liability and comprehensive on a 2006 400cc, it will vary depending on the amount of coverage and the deductable. I didn't put collision on it, that would have basically double the cost of the premiums.

Just checked. I have AmFam as well, and pay $154 a year for full coverage (liability, comp, collision, personal injury protection for me and a passenger)

I think that's pretty reasonable

Do any of you guys carry aftermarket accesories for your wheeler like plow,winch,big tires,windshield,ect... If so does your insurance cover the aftermarket parts or just the wheeler itself?

I got the same coverage as Big D 1 has from State Farm on a '99 Honda Fourtrax and it costs $135 per yr. Also have all my other vehicles and an umbrella with them which helps keep them all lower

I have mine through Progressive. I pay $175.00 per year for a 2004 Sportsman 500 and a 2005 Sportsman 700 with $50 deductible collision and comp. It also contains road hazard/breakdown insurance for the ATVs, the trailer, and the tow vehicle when they are being trailered. Last year my wife rolled her 500 and we were very happy with the coverage. You have to keep in mind that insurance cost will vary dependant upon your credit rating.

Quote:

You have to keep in mind that insurance cost will vary dependant upon your credit rating.

I don't understand why this should really make a difference, escpecially when you are paying 6 months at a time. First they attempt to look for a driving record then they try to milk you based on credit. I had some mistakes in my credit years ago (when I was 18-19 and young and dumb) now my credit score is higher with excellent payment history and they still try to pigeon hole you.

Quote:

Do any of you guys carry aftermarket accesories for your wheeler like plow,winch,big tires,windshield,ect... If so does your insurance cover the aftermarket parts or just the wheeler itself?

On the atv that was just stolen the 02 Polaris 700 twin it had a few add ons. It had the plow brackets, reciever hitch, mounts, hand warmers, and a auger mount with a Strikemaster 10in Lazer. When they insurance company did comps they looked at 2003's for prices because of the aftermarket accesories I was told and came with a price of $5,000 after the $250 deductable was met. The auger and auger mount was not covered.

Just looking at the locations for each person in the $125-200 range for insurance vs. the $50-100 / yr range and I am seeing a lot of metro area locations being on the high side. I know the primary reason for high rates with ATV insurance is theft. Wondering if a Twin Cities address adds that much to the premium?

05 Honda Rancher, insured by State Farm (along with home and 2 autos, boat), costs $12.32/month, which is about $150/year. I do know that insurance is SOMEWHAT based on zip code, but not the only factor.

I have AIG

full coverage... comp $100 deduct, collision $250 deduct

03 Honda 650 Rincon $98/yr

05 Kawasaki KFX700 $121/yr

03 Honda 750 Shadow $112/yr

00 Honda 1100 Shadow $149/yr

I probably get some kind of multi-vehicle discount, have decent credit and a clean driving record.

i'd say the biggest cause of price difference is level of coverage/deductible. my guess is those paying $50 a year are paying for liability not full coverage.

and even with full coverage theres going to be variations depending on payout ceilings on that policy. for example a policy that covers up to $50,000 liability is going to be cheaper than one with $250,000 liability.

also the type of machine will affect the price. utility atv's will be mroe reasonable than sport/racer types escpecially the larger cc models. i pay more for my daughters youth model 90cc sportsman than i do for my full size 450 foreman simply because the chances of a youth being involved in an accident are greater, and the risk of injury is greater.

i really dont think most people take enough time to figure out what they are getting for their $$ or what policy best suits them. most just look for the cheapest they can find.