• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scent Lok

fishermn

I definently think they increase your chances of getting deer in closer. I bought a scent lok suit last year and they do help. However my first time out this year I was all ready to get my scent lok suit ready for the hunt and realized how hot I would have gotten. I just think back to all of the deer that were harvested without scentlok suits before there was ever such a thing. They help but I think as stated in numerous other posts that taking the winds into consideration, it doesn't matter what you are wearing...as long as it's camo.

Hoax. Do a search engine. You'll soon learn that it is against the laws of physics to re-activate carbon at temperatures that would not otherwise incinerate the clothing. Carbon just doesn't work that way. It is a confidence thing. Placebo effect, if you will.

Now comes the long line of people who will say I'm wrong. Don't know what I'm talking about. It works for them. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Placebo effect. I've had deer walk under my tree while I wear smelly, wet wool.

Sorry gang. I understand the physics of carbon and Scent containment is outside the realm of whats capable.

Hunt the wind. Eleminate scent on you and your cloths. Hold still. Shut up. Kill deer.

I totally agree with dog. I usually shower before going huntin. keep clothes from being contaminated, play the wind, and save the extra money for more deerstands. I dont get busted to often, see lots of deer in range. So who knows for sure, I do think it is a confidence booster, but it can also make you more sloppy. Just my two pennies

Well, after a bit more research, I have to say I agree with you guys... Its probably not worth the money.

Seems like it would be a good thing to have the Mythbusters test though... smile.gif

OK, so now my next question is regarding boots. Do rubber boots really help much or not? I have seen a lot of rubber boots that stink like heck. I cant see how those would be any better than my leather hiking boots. It seems to me that pretty much any boot treated with a good scent elimination product would probably be just as good? Any comments??

The following link is a pentagon report regarding reactivation of activated carbon suits used by the military. Doesnt seem like anything you could possibly do to reactivate the material at home would be effectice whatsoever.

http://www.stormingmedia.us/82/8282/A828203.html

The next link is one you all have probably seen before, but I will post it anyway. Its from an avid bowhunter who also happens to be a biologist with a background in working with activated carbon.

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

There's no doubt that irvingdog is right. However, try tell that to a person who just dropped $459.99 on their sentlock suite! There's no convincing anyone that they just wasted that kind of money of a marketing ploy that tens of thousands of people have bought into. And for those who give you examples of all the deer that didn't have a clue they were there despite the fact that the wind was wrong "because of their sentlock gear, I can give you literally over 100 examples of the same thing from the past 19 years of bowhunting and I've never worn sentlock gear in my life. What you call a placebo, I'd call a total joke and a rip off.

I think, it if gives someone more confidence in a tree then its done its job. Its kinda like scents in fishing. Do they work? Who knows.. but if it gives you more confidence, that is worth something.

I myself do not own a scent loc suit, I too feel they probably do not work. And if they did, your still not going to be able to get it all because you still have skin exposed, and breath ect... The only way to do it correctly is to try and minimize your scent as best you can and hunt the wind as best you can. For me its not about taking an animal, its just about sharing my time with nature..so if I get winded, so be it.. I still had a good time!

You guys are probably right on scent-lok issues, but in my experience I have a few different takes. I do not believe that it totally eliminates scent...impossible. I do believe that it eliminates some of the scent. Deer are not as spooked if they come downwind of you when you are wearing scent-lok. It is as if you are 300 yards from them instead of 30 yards from them...seen this countless times. When I used to have just regular camo, and they walked downwind the gig was up...in a real hurry. With scent-lok it seems as if they might have smelled something...not really sure. That is my take. Anyway, they are definately not the total answer. PLAY the wind...that is the only way to be sure. I do believe they make a person more conscience about scent in general. Also to the rubber boot question. Yes wear them. Wearing leather boots is a huge mistake. Also, wear gloves when climbing tree steps or ladders. All of this stuff helps bring the deer right into range.

I'll beat that horse... Irvingdog said exactly what I would have said! With that being said, I did purchase a Scent Lok outfit before I was further educated. Now I just wash it in the scent remover soap and get my hunt on.

I own the scent loc suits,rubber boots and headgear.If one keeps as clean and puts his clothes in a bag of leaves,plays the wind to your advantage then I believe you are in pretty good shape.Last week in North Dakota with my scent loc suit on and the wind was in my favor about 45 minutes before sunset the wind changed directions and four deer winded me.I dont believe you can cover all your human scent and when the wind is wrong,you will get busted by alot of deer.I truly believe the wind is your best friend or your worst enemy.All the extra scent loc items cant hurt you,except maybe you wallet,but the wind will probably be your worst enemy.

Good read Fishermn on the Scent-Lok.

I guess for me, I got the stuff for a real discount-thanks to a discount during my Gander Mt. days- it is a confidence booster and really haven't hunted with anything else on. Got into bow hunting, did quite a bit of reading about scent this and scent that, Scent-Lok was relatively new to the market so I bought it. I hunted all last year and a few times this year, have not yet been sniffed out.....yet that is (knock on wood) grin.gif

There was a great article here last winter about this very topic.

Myself, I don't use the scent lock. My feeling is that a hunter gets into more trouble with scent issues by NOT watching what he is putting into his carcass, than what can be covered or eliminated by a quality product designed to do that. Garlic, onions and alcohol are the big three that I consider poison during any hunting season involving deer or bear. These will metabolise slowly over a number of days and ooze out of every pore you have, but really come wafting out on your breath and there is no way to counter that action. FredBear was the greatest bowhunter ever. He didn't have today's scent thwarting armor or bottled bombs to get rid of anything. He stayed clean and watched what he consumed.

I was a little hesitant of it myself. But i bought the Sent Lock underliners and if they don't work you must have gotten a defective one. If you ever have a little too much salsa or beer the day before you can let the gas go and you don't even smell it with the sent lock on. Poke your head down your shirt different story. So explain that you unbelivers. Anyone else experience this?

I have never use the GorTex brand. The only sent elimination clothing that i have used has been Sent Lok and Sent Blocker. I am a real big fan of the Sent Block because of the leafy wear that is awsome camo it really breaks up your outline.