• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How big a buck has to come along tomorrow for you to use your buck tag?

BLACKJACK

Tomorrow is the archery opener, how big a buck does it have to be for you to use your buck tag, and then only be doe hunting the rest of the season? I personally love getting out in early November when the rut is on and the bucks are cruising, so its going to have to be a big, wider than the ears eight point before I shoot a buck tomorrow.

Please keep QDM out of this thread, start another one, I personally feel that ANY deer you shoot with a bow, whether its a doe, small buck, or big buck, is a trophy. I think its also important for beginning bow hunters to get some experience by 'trying' to shoot a few deer, no matter what size they are.

If you could not party hunt with the all-season license(like a couple years ago), I would not think about anything less than about 125 inches gross. I would have been disappointed filling the tag with a small buck right away and then have all season to watch other bucks go by.

With that said. I have not taken a buck with my bow yet.

So if I get a good crack at a medium 8 pt(100 inches or so); I will take him. I dont want a little 6pt or less.

If I take one, I'd like it to be somewhat decent at least(in my eyes) to put the rack on the office wall.

my thrid year bowhunting. will wack a huge six point if i get a chance. have yet to get a legal buck gun or bow but i coulda wacked a bunch of sixes and some small eights. got a buck contest going on at school though smirk.gifmostly a meat hunter so does are down rut or no rut. meat is what im out for.

I will shoot an 8 or better... Not even a big 8.. I hunt in both MN and WI.. And to be totally honest I just love to be in stand.. and I am really not a true trophy hunter myself... With that being said.. i will probably pass on any spikes or forks or 6's... and hold on to my buck tag.. however, a doe without a fawn goes by.. and I will take it.

Quote:

I will shoot an 8 or better... Not even a big 8..

So what are you really saying? smirk.gif anyway... Personally a nice 8 or better would be nice, I try to make it a goal to try to shoot a nicer deer than the previous year, an 8 or better with nice mass and 130" or better would make the cut, talking about it and doing are two diferebt things though! I just can't wait to get out.

Like others, I have yet to arrow a deer at all. This is my second season bow-hunting. LOVE IT!! But I would die if I filled it early and had to watch nice ones walk later. I also take a video camera into the field everytime I go out. I told this story in a different thread but on Wednesday I was out for my first time this year and not a lot was moving and soon a Bobcat walked up and I was video taping it for a while. What a rare and cool site. Happy Hunting

Gonna have to be big, 140 plus. I have shot several small bucks in the past and some nice ones. I just shot a doe saturday and will take another one or two, but I have a big boy in the woods and I am waiting for him. If it gets to be rifle season and I haven't got a buck yet, I'll take one outside the ears, but nothing less.

Any deer that will make Pope&Young which will have to probably be a nice 10,as it takes a huge 8 to make it.I have shot enough deer that a small buck will not do and I always have extra doe tags for the meat.You can never shoot a big one if you shoot the first small one you see.If its your first deer then it would be different.

At least as big as last year, if not bigger. I hunt a lot & on a lot of properties, have only seen maybe 4-5 deer in the last 4-5 years that were more than a decent 8, which is what the last year buck was. I passed on a nice 8 opening morning, but it wasn't nice enough to take opening day for me. I'm saying this because I've shot several small bucks with my bow & if I don't shoot another small one I won't care. If you haven't shot a buck with your bow, unless perhaps you've shot a lot of nice ones with firearms, take any buck that gives you a good shot, especially if you're young. You need to get a couple of deer on the ground, before you should start trophy hunting in my opinion. Why try to ride the Tour de France on your first bike ride?

I'm not saying I won't take a small one, but it would have to be because it's at least November 1st or someone I'm hunting with says go ahead & fill their buck tag.

Does are toast unless maybe if the fawn(s) have spots.

I had to make this decision Sunday, you can see my choice in the Photo section. I had let a 4 and a 6 pt walk, but after about 10 seconds of thought I ended my buck season early on this one. Any deer with a bow is an accomplishment in my opinion.

My wife would settle for spike buck on opening weekend, but she know's I'd still find ways to hunt.

I'd like to know the buck I shoot opening weekend or anytime the first three weekends will make book. Not that it needs to be huge, but I'd like to know that I ended my season early with a deer I can hang on the wall.

The last four years I haven't shot a buck - my wife says I'm too fusy. I think if you enjoy hunting, then waiting and enjoying the outdoors is what it's all about. Come early November if I'm freezing my tail off - I might wish I'd taken a shot earlier, we'll see.

Just remember if you shoot the first buck you see chances are it's not going to be that big boy on your camera. I will wait for a 8 or better up untill gun opener than it's any buck. The gun hunters in my area just slaughter the deer so my odds go way down by the middle of november.

Quote:

I had to make this decision Sunday, you can see my choice in the Photo section. I had let a 4 and a 6 pt walk, but after about 10 seconds of thought I ended my buck season early on this one. Any deer with a bow is an accomplishment in my opinion.

If I were in your shoes, I would have made the decision to shoot as well. NICE deer! You hit the nail on the head with the above quote! What an accomplishment!