• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Report your Archery kill -2005

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Pic Captain. Hope you all don't mind if I share a story of my second deer with a bow (and ever taken period.

I took off work Thursday and Friday and spent both days hunting. I had several shots at nice does both days but was waiting for a buck. When Saturday morning came and I had not seen any bucks (at least nowhere close enough for a shot) I had shifted priorities and decided it was time to get my second deer and close out the season. This weekend was also gun opener and I thought the deer would be hiding out for awhile after that. And there was another gun season the next weekend.

Anyway, I headed out into the woods Saturday morning at 6 am draped in orange and settled into my pop-up ground blind that was clearly marked with a criss-cross pattern of orange duck tape (on our own property but can never be too safe). We had a rain the night before and water continually dripped off the trees into the leaves below - sounding much like approaching deer. There was a thick fog and I could see silhouettes of deer scurrying around in the murky darkness, going from one side of the woods to the other as they spotted or sensed gun hunters and tried to avoid them.

Just after legal shooting light had arrived and the fog had cleared, the cavalry arrived. A dozen does and fawns came thundering through the leaves 20 yards in front of me but did not stop to offer a shot. Awhile after they had disappeared, I heard a “pop, pop” in the distance and knew the neighbor had taken one of them with his shotgun. The other does came flying back in my direction a few minutes later and scattered throughout the woods, bedding down in different thickets and patches of tall grass. I knew I had deer all around me. So for a few hours, I sat there silently on the bucket in my blind, clutching my bow in my hands with an arrow knocked.

At 10 am, the does around me started to get up and slink off into a nearby slough. A pair of smaller does crept out at 25 yards (about my maximum range) in front of my blind. I slipped off the bucket, knelt on the ground, and slowly pulled the bow back. I settled my pin on one of the does and was just ready to release the arrow when she moved. I was about to ease the bow back down when the second doe offered me a shot. I focused the pin on her vital area, and released the arrow. She collapsed where she was standing and I waited for awhile and reflected on both the happiness and the sadness of the moment. It’s a weird feeling. I want to say “thank you” and “I’m sorry” to the deer the same time. At least I do. I know some guys feel differently but that feeling is a pretty cool one to me.

I put a lot of time and effort into my first season of bow hunting. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to take two deer in the process. This second doe was small but she and the large doe I took early last month are both “trophys” to me.

Thanks for reading this very long post.

Took off last Wed. and Thurs. for bow hunting. Went to some public land Wed. for the hole day and saw 2 deer, 1 in my truck to the spot and 1 in my truck on the way home. Thursday I decided to stay home, I had to drop my daughter off at school in the morning so I decided to go on the back side of my property. I have a little over an acre of woods along corn field. It was about 7:00 A.M. when I saw a deer cross from the corn field towards the woods.I could hear him but couldn't see him. Ten minutes went by when I got my first look and new it was a buck.It ended up turning and walked within 20 yrds.I pull back , had in my sight and released. Watched the arrow disappear, perfect shot. It took a couple quick steps then walked mybe 25yrds and fell over. What a rush, put gun hunting to shame. Ran up to the house told the wife and kids I was so pumped. The daughter wanted to trail it even though I new where it was we still did.It was a descent 8 pt. about 170 to 180 lb. buck. This was my first year bow hunting, and have put a lot of time in (at least 2 to 3 times a week). I had a lot of deer within shooting range early this year before duck opener but was a little to warm to leave a deer hang to long without cleaning it, but if a big buck would have come through I would have made time to clean. Bow hunter for life.

Well, here is 10 point that I reported on 10/15. My son is helping with the holding job. The picture does the deer no justice, but it is cool to look at. BTW the deer weighed in at 210lbs. 039_39.jpg

Looks like a dandy to me Extreme, nice job.

Called in a nice doe on Thursday night, after not getting my portable up until 4:45, saw the doe about 5:00, shot her about 5 minutes later after using "the Great Big Can", to bring her in. It was fairly windy & she & the buck were up wind. The buck came 2-3 minutes behind her. I saw him before I shot her. I had another arrow nocked when he came & shot him too, actually a half a dozen yards closer than her, but some tiny little twig of brush that I couldn't see deflected the arrow & I wound up with a rear leg wound. Hoping a gun hunter got him, we trailed him over a 1/4 mile the next day, no bed & not much blood. He will survive I'm sure, as long as he doesn't get lead poisoning... It's still very upsetting when you make a bad hit.

I got this buck last thursday night. This is my first attempt to attach a photo, so if this doesn't work, I might need some help. [image]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mcvince/detail?.dir=1bfc&.dnm=b199.jpg&.src=ph[/image]

Thanks for helping me out with the picture. I got this deer thursday evening near Scandia, where I live. I took the day off so I could hunt the whole day and my plan was to hunt a spot in Wisconsin in the morning and then one of my Minnesota spots in the evening. My friend and I didn't see much in the morning, so we headed back to my house about noon for some lunch. As we pulled into my driveway, a doe ran across my yard and all of a sudden my friend says "look!" and there's a real nice 8 pointer standing behind my woodpile, about 25 yards away. It had a real high rack and a very big neck. It stayed there long enough for my friend to get his video camera out and film it following two does away through the woods. I have a stand out in the back of our property and at that time I decided to hunt out back in hopes of maybe getting a shot at that nice 8 pointer(that I had never seen before). I got into my stand a little before 3:00 and at 3:30 a spike and a small 7 pointer came by. At a little before 5:00 I heard a noise and thought it was the 7 pointer coming back and it was another buck yet, even bigger than the nice 8 I saw in my yard. He stopped at about 25 yards and I made probably the best shot of my life, up to the feathers, right behind the shoulder. After a two hour wait(just in case), my friends Travis and Rick, and Rick's 7 year old son and 10 year old daughter went trailing. The buck only went 30 yards and we found him easily. He has a 17&1/2 inch spread and we weighed him at 197 pounds. Two days later(bowhunting on the gun opener) Rick shot a 9 point buck that weighed 201 pounds and had a 20 and a quarter inch spread! He and I are still riding pretty high, that's for sure.

My first buck! What a rush! I got him on 11/5 down in SE MN. He came into my area follwing a doe and stopped broadside at 20 yards. He weighed in at 215lbs field dressed and had a 18" spread. Sorry about the red on the nose it took quite a hit when it fell down. Also great pitures and stories from everyone else. Good to hear others are doing well!

ShowLetter3.jpg