• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing the Right Flasher Unit

Matt Johnson

It may need the software upgrade. Check your serial number at the Vexilar web site and see if it is affected. The soft ware upgrade should take care of your problem. Yes Walleye Patrol the same problem you described was exactly what happened to my old FL-18 before the upgrade.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd weigh in here. I've been using flashers before they were cool. I started with the old green box, and my friends called me crazy. Then I had the hummingbird flasher. I was told I'm behind the times, yet was out producing all. Then I graduated into the Vexilar. I don't have anything bad to say about them as they have accounted for tons of fish for me, but with all I've heard it may be time to upgrade once again into the Marcum. Seems like this industry is like all others; Meaning when you decide to stay with what you've got you get left behind. Thanks for the info guys!

I agree, have been on the ice consistantly this past week with my new FL18.....it has caught me fish...i'm a believer.

Don't care either way between vex and marcum, I just know the vex has helped me catch fish.

I'm a vexy fan, i have a fl8se and have owned the 18 till I traded it in for a Thompson Omega. Love em both, But Santa was good to Boar this year and gave him a Marcum LX3 true color. WOW!!!Almost went for the LX5 with 2000 watts and 1/2 seperation and cone shrinkage to 8 degrees but I dont think it wil make that much of a difference at this point. I know there are some of you with the idea of "my old vexilar is just fine but some day just give the new stuff a try you wont be dissapointed. Later boar

After a lot of studying, I finally purchased a LX3tc and I could not be happier with my purchase. Actually, they should not even be legal, it feels like I'm cheating now. I just wanted to thank everyone here for their valuable input.

Law Firm - You think the LX3TC is cheating? The LX-5 is like having a camera down there. MarCum provides more zoom, better zoom, and SFL and TC advancements that bury the competition plain and simple. The LX-5 simply put, is a freaking masterpiece!

I have got the new Marcum. Works sweet for me. - My best fishing partner is my old man. Got him a gift cert for either the vex or marcum. Well the SOB is color blind now. He looked at both units, and decided on the Vex due to its color separation. We even looked at the LX5 and its separation. He worked the units and acknowledged that the vex has the better tranducer unit. So he went with it.

Point is: Catching more fish shouldnt be with electronics - it should be with your old man bringing you to a 'Secret Spot' telling you that your $400 machine is (Contact US Regarding This Word) and that he has a spot in his mind.

You could walk away drilling 100 holes - thinking that you may catch one or two more crappies - but this old dog has been fishing this lake for 30 years. Does this new unit make you any more knowledgable?

Well - the Old dude with the new electronics brought me to his same old hole. We marked fish: but: caught the same amount. The old dude loved the new game - ice fishing was more interactive. Cant make them bite more - but at least you know they are there. Watching an old dog play a new game is priceless.

I get to use a LX-5 next weekend on LOW. I have a friend that builds the units(circuitboards and packages the final products. He owns a small electronics company. The cool thing is that when the folks from Marcum came along he was getting ready to close the doors to his shop because of all the outsourcing to other countries by previous clients. Knowing that they supported a small local electronics firm and helped my friend to continue to put food on his table also makes it an easy decision for me to buy one. I have an FL-8 right now. I am planning on upgrading tho to the lx-5.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

I bought a vex back around 1990. I tried to get my dad to buy one, but since he is color-blind the vex was difficult for him. I bought him a clearwater classic a few years later. The grey scale was a lot easier for him to see.

Man-o-man, A friend of mine just picked up the Lowrance M68C Ice Machine w/GPS. You think Marcum is cutting edge ? You should see this thing ! Auto depth zoom, true sonar, real time flasher, built-in 1000 waypoint GPS w/ I can't remember how many icons marker, 240 some-odd color screen, auto dual beam tranducer, all kinds of interferance filteration, on and on and on ! We were jigging walleye with drop weights in 40 ft of water and besides the fish and structure, you could make out the jig, the weight and the swivels ! I was absolutely astounded ! I know what the next toy on my list is going to be !

Marcum's first flasher before they were know as Marcum Tech. {Note from admin: Your statement was false. Please check your facts before presenting something as fact].I'll take a Marcum over any other flasher out there ..

Tunrevir did your friend tell you about the new LX-3 TCI ?? Or the fact that the LX-5 runs 2,000 watts and you can change the cone angle on the LX-5 ???

I know Ray one of the guys that actually builds the Marcum , That's where I got my LX-3 from and I'll tell you what I wouldn't trade it for anything .. For example I can make a Clearwater Classic ring , FL8 ring , FL18 ring .. One more impotant piece of advice the LX-3 is quiet unlike the FL8 and FL18 ... The only time I hear anything form my LX-3 is when I pull the transducer out of the hole .......

What do you mean by "ring"? Cause interference w/ these units? If that is the goal, I screwed up when I bought my flasher. I got one that help me ice fish, not see how many signals I can interupt.

Just my thought.

D

Quote:

Man-o-man, A friend of mine just picked up the Lowrance M68C Ice Machine w/GPS. You think Marcum is cutting edge ? You should see this thing ! Auto depth zoom, true sonar, real time flasher, built-in 1000 waypoint GPS w/ I can't remember how many icons marker, 240 some-odd color screen, auto dual beam tranducer, all kinds of interferance filteration, on and on and on ! We were jigging walleye with drop weights in 40 ft of water and besides the fish and structure, you could make out the jig, the weight and the swivels ! I was absolutely astounded ! I know what the next toy on my list is going to be !

LOL, first time out with my X67C I couldn't figure out what this thing on my screen was about halfway up the water column. I finally figured out that I was seeing a bobber stop knot I had tied on my line.

i paide 300 dollars for a gander GSX and i love it, i know it's no lx-5 but it does everything i could ask it to and now they are on sale for 250$. at that price you can't go wrong with all the great features it has, and best of all it's a marcum! grin.gif

Does anyone know if Vexilar is going to up their power and zoom functionality to match or exceed Marcum's?

I'm going to purchase a LX-5 this spring when they go on sale unless someone knows something. I have an fl-18 right now and it has been giving me nothing but problems this year. I have the most current version of the software and still problems.

Thanks..

The FL-28 is suppose to have the adjustable water column zoom, but I've heard nothing about increased power. This information is all coming second hand, so take it as that. I don't mean to spread rumors that may or may not be true.