• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing the Right Flasher Unit

Matt Johnson

I just talked with the guys from MarCum and here's the info for upgrading from the original LX-3 to the LX-3tc (TrueColor)...

Upgrade your LX3 to the new TrueColor Display...

Anglers have expressed interest in upgrading their LX-3 units to our new patent pending TrueColor Display. TrueColor is the latest from MarCum Technologies improving color separation resulting in an ultra crisp and highly visible display (even in bright sunlight). TrueColor utilizes three distinct colors red, yellow and green....no more blending targets.

We are proud to announce we have the upgrade available. Please contact MarCum Customer Service at 763-493-3748 or shoot us an email at [email protected] to request the upgrade to the new TrueColor display.

The cost to upgrade your LX3 to the new TrueColor display is $49.00

This cost includes UPS ground shipping back to you. Upgrades take just a few days to complete. Total turn time from your door to ours and back to you is 10-14 days depending on your location. To make the turn time faster on the upgrade please contact us now while the water is still soft. And as always thanks for choosing MarCum, where technology is One Step Ahead!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I just talked with the guys from MarCum and here's the info for upgrading from the original LX-3 to the LX-3tc (TrueColor)...

Matt:

Thanks so much for putting this information on FM. When Big Pine Walleye and I got the word at 12:30 this afternoon, we called MarCum right away. The rep said that they had the info out for 10 minutes and had already issued 15 RMA's. When we mentioned that we had been looking for it on marcum.com, he laughed and said that they knew that fishingminnesota.com was where they would reach the most folks first. smile.gif Needless to say, we got our units in the mail right away, and the rep said that we would probably have them back within a week, tops. THANKS.

Good to hear schweady, I'm glad things worked out for you with this deal. It's an excellent offer for those who have the LX-3 and wish to upgrade to the LX-3tc.

Let us know what you think of the new colors once you get it back. Thanks and enjoy your soon-to-be LX-3tc! smile.gif

Same deal for me as schweady.E-mailed marcum, they shot me a upgrade number and it went in the mail the same day. This is great as I was planning on selling the 3 to upgrade to the 3tc. Would have cost me a lot more to do it that way. Thanks for the heads-up Matt.......

I would say it was because when Al and Dave fished, Vexilar was the only game in town, be it paid or unpaid.

I have talked with Dave about the MarCum LX-3 and he asked me what it had over the FL-18 and I simply told him it has the crispest and sharpest display in the industry and that the zoom was incredibly flexible.

Have these guys fished with different flashers from time to time? I bet they have! You can have a solid sense of American Pride fishing with MarCum, these units were designed by engineers that ice fish! The competitions grip is slipping...No flasher beats MarCum for value or price period! Check out the VS 350 camera for an amazing $199 and you will see another reason why MarCum gives you more for less!

Yeah, so it was the only flasher out..Well when something "newer" and "better" is invented usually a consumer will switch. Just because black and white tv's used to be the only tv's on the market doesn't mean anthing, 90 percent of people have color tvs now. Why? Because color tvs are better. If something is better wouldn't they have switched to marcum? Competitions grip is slipping? Come on...

Look I owned both an FL-18 and a LX-3 and the MarCum package was the better value for the dollar. Display crispness, multiple target separation, the most flexible and largest zoom window in the industry are all features the MarCum has over the FL-18 Pro Pack and I'll go further, better interference rejection, a revolutionary battery charging system and a standard padded softpack.

You won't have to go far to see why others have switched to MarCum and have seen the same things I saw from the beginning.

Just when you thought MarCum would be satisfied and sit on the LX-3 for years to come they expand and respond to there customers and future customers with the new LX-5, LX3TC and LX-2 series of flashers.

The technology in sonar manufacturing is with MarCum and with this new line up they will be there for us ice fisherman for years to come. MarCum is engineered and built in the U.S. and proud of it.

The LX-2 entry alone should be priced in the high $300 range for what it comes with standard, 1,000 watts of power, interference rejection, 3 distinct display colors in yellow, green and red, waterproof softpack and a bottom lock 5' or 10' zoom window. Features found on a $400 plus dollar unit for the low price of $329. MarCum has offered all this at an economy price. Outstanding...

LizardWizard...

Perhaps the reason for them having not made the switch is contractual? Some of these guys get signed into contracts that bind them for a block of years and then they may have to sign into non-compete clauses which prevent them from working with/for other companies viewed as competition for an addition period of time.

And yet here is another possiblity. Vexilar has a massive marketing campaign. This is tremendously expensive and is designed to sell, sell, sell. The cost of this has to come from somewhere within the corporate workings and may be shorting another internal entity, perhaps technology and developement? Marcum has a different approach to marketing their units, one of letting the units sell themselves based on the merits found in each one. Their developement and tech resource areas are extensive and very progressive, while the marketing used is done so in moderation. Marcum's approach to selling themselves and their products welcomes banter and exchanges like what you see here on FM. (Oh, and welcome to FishingMinnesota.com LizardWizard!)Comparisons with other makers' units simply serves to point out the best in ALL products and leaves those searching for a flasher or camera with a ton of information to sort thru.

The bottom line is that flasher comparisons are not like comparing apples to oranges, but more like comparing apples to apples. Not all red apples will be used in the same way. Some make better pies while yet others make for better eating as they are and still some make only the finest applesauce. Based on what you feel you need to fill your own personal flasher niche, you can make your decisions based on what you read, see firsthand, or maybe have even used.

It might be surprizing just how many persons you see here speaking on behalf of what Marcum offers that also own Vexilars. No one gets paid here to make these statements and no one of these people has their name or mugshot plastered in every fishing magazine in print. Marcum uses everyday, good-old-boy , REAL fishermen to market theirproducts whic free up a lot of money for developement and technology. Ask yourself this: "What has Vexilar got that is new this year"?

If you think that having Al or Dave hold a product and yack it up comes to a company as a freebie, think again. Marcum saves it's money for advances and sells itself according to actual merit, not the face or word of someone well-known who CAN't speak of the competition, but in all likely hood has a Marcum in the shack with him at some time or another. These guys are not stupid and use everything that has premium advancements attached to it when they are REALLY fishing, but show their sponsor products for shoots....that is their bread and butter.

I'd trust information coming from people who are actually using something and see the merits of a product firsthand long before I'd rely on fancy adverytising using some dudes' pretty face while holding a similar product.

Lizard, have you fished with a Marcum yet? I would guess not buy the way you are talking. You sure sound like a diehard vex guy (nothing wrong with that and I was one trust me)that hasn`t seen the Marcum in action. If you get a chance to come to a get together or see someone on ice useing one I would try a take a peek and see how the unit compares to yours. I`m not saying to switch but just look at the difference on ice. I know guys fishing the iceteam events that like the Marcum over the Vex but because of "agreements" with there companies they are with they can`t use them. They do use mine and I will use theres to let them get the on ice Marcum experience. Trust me I can`t wait to get my Marcum back.

Yes, I have used both lx3 and fl18, Back when I was in college, I worked at a scheels part time. I had all flashers at my disposal to use, test, and take out. I had both of them out at the same time before I chose the vexilar. I liked it better. So it isn't that I didn't fish with the lx3. Vexilar has the new edge three out for this year, but nothing new for icefishing.

Quote:

yes, but I don't have the picture on the internet, I only have it on my camera, and my hardrive..? The only option to add an image is from a url. Are we not able to add pictures from our hardrives?

That's true for just about any forum I've been on, although some offer some photo hosting as part of their site. If you email Paul a copy he'll get it posted. Otherwise you can upload to any of the free photo hosting services on the net and post it yourself. Some are better than others.

Lizardwizard,

I to was a Vex guy for a long while, It didn't take much time with the LX3 to switch to the Marcums, more bang for the buck, Marcums just keep getting better and Vex's have done nothing new other then changing their pack styles over the few years when it come to performance.

I just purchased my NEW Marcum LX-3tc this past weekend from Fishing Outlet in Brooklyn Center. I am so excited to use it I can hardly wait, for my first ice fishing outing. I previously have always been a Vex user and am totally impressed with all the extra features on the Marcums compared to the Vex. I especially like the Zoom feature which you can move up and down within the water column and the bright colors, which for me are great, in that I am color blind to some degree and this new unit is awesome. Come on ICE!!!!!!

I have always used the Vexilar product but am one to try new things. When the Marcum came out my brother and I both bought the Marcum LX3. They are great, but both of us experienced problems "reading" the lines after a very short use. We called the company and sent them in for a check. Both had problems with transducers. We received them back with either a new or reconditioned transducer. They worked fine the rest of the season.

I am anxious to use if one full season to see if no problems become evident. Both units are great and it becomes a choice like driving a Ford, Chevy or Dodge truck.

In my opinion, saying one is better than the other is tough. They each have some different features that are unique to each. I would say however after owning FL 8's , an FL 18 and an LX3, for my type fishing (panfish) the FL 8 and LX 1 provide what I need. The zoom features rarely get used on my part. Happy Fishin!!! smirk.gif