• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Want to slow machine down

old guy

I have a 98 Polaris Classic Touring - I use this sled only for going from my house on LOW to my fishing shack; usually I have one person riding on the sled with me.

Because the surface is fairly rough, I rarely get over 25 mph-this does not allow the engine to get very hot and causes the spark plugs to get dirty, or so says the Polaris dealer I talked to-

Is it possible to use a different clutch, or clutch setting, or change the gear ratio, or do something else, so the engine has to run faster to reach the same speed? I have been told this machine will go about 75 mph, + or - a few mph -I would be satisfied if 50 mph were the top speed if it would run hotter at a low speed -

Is what I am looking for possible or am I just looking for something that will not work or cause more problems than it will solve -

I realize I can go to a dealer/mechanic with these questions but I would like to hear from someone who has had some experience with something like this so I know the good and bad before I go any further -

Thanks for your help.

One thing you can do is burn a hotter plug. If you use NGK BR9 plugs you can go to a BR8. It's a little hotter plug and won't foul as quickly.

I had to make that switch on a sled I used to own. The plugs kept fouling out because the carbs were jetted rich. I didn't re-jet due to warrenty stuff. One size hotter plug did the trick for me.

You can change the gear ratio in the chain case, count the teeth on the driven and drive sprocket, go one tooth smaller on the drive S. one tooth bigger on the driven, thats the one on the axle, make sure there is clearance between the driven sprocket and the bottom of the chain case, if you go two teeth on the driven S. you will probley need a 1/2 link and conector link.

I first started driving snowmobiles in about 1967-at that time I never thought I would ever want to go slower - amazing what approximately 40 years does to one - not for the good either- but even driving like the old fart I am is still fun -

I do use the "8" sparkplug but it still fouls some - so, I don't know if it is advisable to go to something hotter;

Thanks for the help.

Are you burning the "Y" split fire plugs? They are darn near impossible to foul (fowl? whatever...).

I think the others are right, short of that gearing would have to change... Sounds like you just aren't burning it out good at lower RPM's. Its not really a warm up the engine issue, just not using it hard.

If your machine just started doing this the carbs could be dirty but if this has been an ongoing problem I would suggest you rejet.Factory jets are on the rich side but the way most people ride it isnt a problem and helps to prevent meltdown.In your case at slow speeds the machine is loading up and fouling plugs and rejeting should help.

I recently had the sled checked over throughly by a Polaris dealer who is said to have a good mechanic - carbs cleaned, etc - the sled has only 600 miles on it and those were also put on the machine by going back and forth to a fish shack on LOW-so I would think that things should be working correctly -anyway, nothing changed after having this tuneup- I do appreciate the suggestions I received - if there are any others, they certainly would be welcome - Thanks Again -

You might consider trading up to a widetrack sometime. It's the ultimate machine for ice fishing. The low range alows for slow speed, yet high rpm's. The low range is awesome for towing as well as the clutch engages at low rpms. Just a thought.

The reason I asked is because since the sled isn't under warranty any more you may want to consider a synthetic 2-stroke oil which you can get for oil injection type engines or pre-mix, benefits are more protection against wear,and spark plug loading is a thing of the past due to cleaner combustion. I've been using Amsoil products since 1978 for both 2 and 4 strokes and am amazed at how much better they operate compared to regular lubricants, check out their web site, give it a try their 2-stroke oils are good stuff, also try and stay with good quality gas, some times that co-op gas doesen't work that well in sleds. hope this helps you out some but I'm pretty sure it'll do the trick for ya'. grin.gif

Old guy don't feel bad...last year I've got myself a Yamaha YZ600 "crotch rocket" street bike. I felt at my age I need some fun toy....I sold it after 2 days !!!

Man, these things are nasty, you just open gas a little, switch few gears, look at tach...90mph hanging for dear life on the handlebar..

I know my experience might not apply to your situation, but made me laught too when I saw "want to slow down" and your handle is OldGuy grin.gif

This is definitely interesting.

My snowmobile ('02 ZR600 EFI) really doesn't like to run below 40 or 50mph so I know what you mean... sort of.

In reality, I agree with the other guys in changing your gear ratio in the chaincase to slow you down. Running synthetic oil I don't think will ever hurt you. My ZR requires synthetic and I've started to run Klotz Techniplate Synthetic in my old 73 SnoJet 440 with no problems. Klotz does smoke and has a wonderful odor to it. In fact, I've been running it in my gas auger also. Nobody can understand why the exhaust smells weird. grin.gif

If you are ready to trade the Classic in, I would definitly go the route of an AC Bearcat or Polaris Widetrack.

Try changing to a stiffer primary clutch spring. I'm guessing that with your stock spring it engages at about 3200 rpm. The next step up should bring it up to engage at 3500 rpm or so. Talk to a snowmobile mechanic and check into maybe getting a combination primary/secondary spring set put in to bring your engagement rpm up higher. This will not only raise the rpm it takes to get your machine to begin moving it will also bring your top speed down. Some of the other guys on here might have a few reccomendations on what combinations to use. The springs are color-coded. Hope this helps.

Thats what I did on my sled. But mine engages at 4500 RPM. This really doesnt slow the sled down. I now get good acceleration and still have good top end speed.

My sled used to engage at like 1800 or 2100 RPM or something. I like it now being higher but if I would want to go slower I would have to do something else.

Quote:

You might consider trading up to a widetrack sometime. It's the ultimate machine for ice fishing.

Do they still makes those I have been looking for years for an older Polaris 500 widetrack they are awesome can't seem to find one.

I have an 87 Arctic Cat Jag that I use all the time to pull my Fishtrap around with about 5 years ago I went through the carb's and it will not go over 40 MPH it starts on the first pull every time with no choke it's perfect I'v been waiting for it to melt down and it hasn't, fouling is not an option for this machine not sure what I did.

I'll trade ya even up... grin.gif

Im not sure if you figured out your problem yet but I cant see how trying to slow the machine down is going to make it run better.Sleds nowdays are built to perform well out of the box.Before you stated you had your carbs cleaned and if thats not the problem then I would highly recommend you call your dealer and explain your problem and ask them about rejeting.They will be able to tell you if your engine was prone to having rich jets from the factory.When you pull your plugs are they real wet and does your engine sometimes backfire?Changing jets is easily a do it yourself job.

fmh2o I think the issue was he wasn't ever running the motor hard and it was carbing up. Jet's might help that some, but if you lean it out too much that's pretty risky. He was just thinking gearing it down to turn a few more RPM's at lower speeds and run the engine out a little I think.

I realize what he was saying but I just dont think it will solve the problem.The way he explains his driving habits and the way the machine is running I would suspect that when he pulls the plugs they look real black and wet.If this is the case stepping down a jet size wouldnt be a problem.Factory jets tend to be a little rich and that is OK as most people run them hard and dont have a problem.But like I said before it is always a good idea to get a mechanics opinion if you are not sure.It would be nice if he would post back.