• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your ATV start in the cold Temps ?

Whopper Stopper

I was sitting around the other day and being it was so cold I was looking for something to do. I got to thinking about my 99 Sportsmen 500 and how I hadn't started it in a couple of weeks. I went out to the shed, flipped the choke lever on and cranked it. I think it took 3 spins and fired right up. The day I did this it was -20 and one day last year up north it was -27 and it popped right off. I am just curious what luck you all have starting your ATV's in the cold. Is mine an exception or the rule?

Thanks for any responses!

WS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old 98 Yamaha Grizzly and my old 2003 Grizzly both started excellent in the extreme cold.My new Suzuki KQ needs a whole lot of cranking though,but once it fires it idles perfectly.This is a FI quad,and the older carburated models started way easier.

I have a 99 Kodiak, and my Dad has a 95 Kodiak.

They are the worst starting ATV's on earth in the cold. Do we just happen to have the only 2 Yammies like this? crazy.gif

They will not start if its below zero. I had to walk back to our cabin one day to get a snowmobile to tow the darn ATV off the lake.

Nope, our 03 grizzly is a pile of @#%^. Fouls out the plugs almost monthly. We are trying the NGK Irridium plugs now at $7 a crack. Seems to be a little better. We had a junk battery direct from yamaha, dealer would not replace. We also had the splines in the front differential couplings snap off at 77 miles. Also if you don't keep the gas tank full when running it hard, it will boil the gas. Was in the shop 4 months out of the 6 month warranty. The dealer took his sweet time on everything, plus he said he fixed the differential only to get it home and was still broken.

Will never touch another yamaha due to the technicians in my area. Sometimes even a great company isn't worth while if there is no customer support.

J.T.

Both my Sportsmans are very new and start up with no problems at all in cold weather.. 2004.5 700 carb Twin and a 500HO.

Here's a little tip for those of you with both a electric start and pull start. If your ATV is cranking slow, use the pull start to assist the starter while it's cranking. It may give you enough rpm to fire the motor.

I've never tried this myself, and don't know if it would cause any damage. However... It does sound like it would work. Just a thought...

My '00 Sportsman 500 always starts, even using the pull rope with a dead battery (I've got to find time to replace that battery yet). Always been a great starter. Now, the '05 Sportsman 700EFI I have is a new game, easy too, just turn the key. No choke to fiddle with and no problemo starting this last cold spell after sitting for awhile.

Same with that trusty Honda of mine Dave, no matter what the temp is outside, it always starts. (specially since its always 55-60 in the garage where it resides when I'm not riding) LOL

Now I have an old 85 Big Red at the cabin that sits months at a time AND has a junk battery and that baby starts with a few pulls no matter what.

I have an 02 kawi, it usually starts up great, but this weekend on the ice my battery let me down, had to pull start the 650, it was just swell, I need a new battery, the name almost let me down, Kaus you to walkie. Just kiddin

wisconsinfish, sounds like you need to find a new dealer. Its true that some of the cv joints on an 03 grizz could break, and there was a problem with gas boiling in the tank, but there is a free update to take care of the gas problem(have your valve clearance checked as long as they will have the gas tank off). And even if your grizz was out of warranty, your dealer could have called Yam and had the cv joint paid for, as long as you didn't have a lift kit on it. As far as the plugs go I don't think the iridium plugs will help, but clean air filter and valve adjust will. 99% of battery problems are caused by improper servicing of the batt when it was new.(dealer set-up) The maint. free batt in your machine can only be charged with yhe proper type of charger. I hope some of this will help, but if not, let me know how much you want for the grizzly! smile.gif

for you Polaris owners with EFI machines, just hope your battery doesnt take a dump or you will be stuck. Their EFI system still requires a battery & the machines do not have a pull start. One would think they would have solved that issue after their failed attempt w/EFI on their sleds a few years back. The new Suzuki K.Q. EFI system doesnt require a battery & has a pull starter

Big Fish, ya think the problem is the battery's bad or does your Ricon have to crank a lot to start in cold weather? I can't remember, does the Rincon have a primer button on the carb?

the battery in it is brand new it is the second one I have had in less than a year so it should be good, yes it does have to turn over alot I dont think it has a primer button but it does have choke knob that you pull up it fine if I start it every other day but if I let it sit for more than a week I have to bring the battery in and warm it up to get it to run

Big Fish Hunter247

Big Fish,

I own two honda's, 2004 Rubicon and 1995 Fourtrax. Both of my machines have a primer button that's located on the bottom of the carb(look for a black plastic knob). If I were you, I would take a very close look at the carb area of your machine. I would be surprised if your machine didn't have one. I'm not real familiar with the Rincon, but would guess that it uses the same carb system as my two honda's. If you do have a primer, becareful as to how many times you push it, I never use more than three, otherwise the machines seem to flood. If ya have a primer button, your starting problem will be solved. My two honda's would never start (when it's really cold outside) if it weren't for the primer. Hope this helps.

I second the primer. I have a 2003 Rubicon.. Push the primer a couple times and she will turn over all the time. Another thing to look at is the choke knob. Originally mine did not stay out all the way when I pulled it out. It wanted to slowly go back in. All I had to do is at the base of it, turn it like you were tightening it. Stays out all the time now.. laugh.gif

Good luck!!

Have to agree with the EFI on the 800 Polaris, the thing just starts right now, just turn the key. Actually sounds like it has a cam for the first 15 seconds or so and then it just hums...what an awesome beast !

lakeman cool.gif

Hey bigfishhunter247, your Rincon does have a primer. It is a pain to get to until you get used to it. You have to take off the right side plastic (recoil access plastic) and it is a black button on the bottom of the carb. I push mine twice in the cold weather and it helps starting a lot, fires right off.