• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shooting Running Deer

rocky

I am going to be doing some drive hunting with the family this weekend.I have always had trouble hitting deer on the run. The oldtimers in our party always tell me I have to lead them. Is there any rule of thumb on how far ahead you need to lead them or any other tips? I am useing a shotgun with a rifled barrel and sabots if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help

It all depends on the range within 20 yds dead on, out to 70 at the nose, beyond that 1/2 a body length to a body length. situation dictates as to your ammo, surroundings, deer size, experiance, everyone shoots different.

Ya may get some flack for shooting at a running deer w/o knowing what you are doing but everyone starts somewhere.

In slug zones it is especially important to know where your rounds are going. As there are more drives being done down there, I would recommend asking to post if this is the situation to get experiance with rounds going out. From a stand just make sure you have a good rest and take your time do not rush your shots watch your breathing and trigger squeeze when shooting at a running deer it is easy to get to carried away.

Well enough rambling good luck.

big drift

I got mine running this year. Was my first ever. I estimated it to be 50 yds away and I didn't lead it. Aimed for the shoulder and gut shot. Wished I had lead it, I did get it cleaned fast though and the meat is good. So I guess at 50 yards I should have lead 2-3 ft. Also it was running flat out, so you would have to take that in to consideration. Good luck Kid.

I haven't had to shoot at a running deer in about 4 years thankfully. Been getting lucky on the tree stand.

One thing I remember is when they get going, the deer bounds up & down quite a bit. You have to swing your gun on the deer horizontally and don't try to follow the darn thing up and down. A little timing and a sizable lead and you should be alright.

Bad thing about shooting a running deer in my experience is gut shots, broken legs, shot up shoulders, and one time the hind quarter confused.gif Most of the time you'll hit further back then you think you will.

You may want to consider not using Sabot slugs if your driving fields. My experience with them is if you don't get a clean kill, they will run forever because Sabots are harder and don't mushroom well. A softer lead will mushroom more causing more knock down power and faster bleeding.

Just a thought smile.gif

Kevin

I have something wrong with me, ive shot all my deer but one out of a stand ( jumped that one ) anywas ive missed every deer ever that is standing still well no i did hit on in the ear but that one was still running pretty strong after that wink.gif anyways after ive missed ive always hit them on the run with the second or this year 3rd shot, first 3 deer were shot at 28, 17, and 2 yards never led one of them at all, hit one all were shot in neck except the last one which was through the lungs because it ran under my stand, this year i missed at 65 yards and shot it on the run at almost 100 yards hit it right infront of the shoulder and it came out behind the opposite shoulder, i just swing through and shoot when i pass the chest, hold on a straight line dont follow it up and down and you will hit it somewhere, as long as you dont stop your swing when you shoot if you miss just keep on swinging and it will cross your sights again, just like shooting roosters but a little bigger and you loose the shotgun spread, o and deer dont fly thank god.

RR56

I have shot a few running deer in my hunting career. Last year I had a situation that leaves a lump in my stomach every time I think about it. I had a 160 class (estimate of course-the locals called him Bullwinkle) run down a fence line full tilt. Normally I wouldn't even think of a shot like this but this deer was huge. He was out about 200 yards quartering towards me but heading for heavy cover along the fence line. If I waited until he was closer I would have had no shot. On the second shot he dropped in his tracks. However he got up and ran into a very large state land. I tracked him for 6 hours. I prayed that he would run into another hunter but never did. Finally his blood trail quit and I never found him. Based on the blood in his bed down spots I believe I hit him in the right front leg. Needlessly to say I am still sick about it and will definitely think twice about shooting at a running deer at a long distance. You cannot practice a shot like that and when you add in the up and down motion of their gait you have an iffy proposition at best. I have too much respect for the animal to make that mistake again.

WG

Why would you shoot at a running deer. Look at the previous posts. Dangerous practice, miss, gut shot, ruined front quarters, ruined hind quarters, broken legs. If the animal doesn't give you a chance at a clean kill maybe you should pass. I've heard many people talk about how "the deer came running out in the open and we unloaded our guns at him." Doesn't sound safe or responsible. Just my rambling opinion.

I agree that ideally you try not to shoot at running deer, but realistically, in many places if you don't/can't shoot a moving target, you just plain won't ever get any shooting. Deer drives are an immensely popular method for taking deer and many of the shots will be running. You just need to know your gun, your area, your distances etc and use your best judgment as to whether or not you think you can make the shot. My grandpa could shoot deer on the run farther than I can shoot them standing still. I know not to try many of the shots he could make, but I know I can make a lot of shots that apparently some of you guys would not try. Its really a judgment call.

3 deer came right infront of me the buck (8pts) ran by and stoped in the thick brush i decided to not shoot cause i thougt it might come back out but it never did then the 2 deer right behind it stoped in my shooting lane shot a a doe but missed. then the first buck that ran by my stand walked right to my dads stand and he killed it. so what i am saying is you dont really need to shoot at them when they are running because they could go right by your relatives stand and stop for an easier shot.

Shooting at running deer is tricky. I nailed a nice eight point this year at about 30 yards but I've also missed them at that range. I generally shoot them like birds, follow them along and when you catch up with barrel, shoot. What you have going for you is the incredible knockdown power of slugs, I always figure if you hit the deer anywhere where you get 4 inches of animal its yours. If you do deer drives, shots at running deer are a fact of life. What you need to do is wait for the close shots, 50 yards or less, broadside, no up the bunghole shots, and follow up on all shots to see if you've drawn blood. The people I have a problem with are the 'if I can see brown, I'm shooting at it', the 100 yard plus shots. Thats where you get the broken legs and dead deer laying wasting, they didn't see it go down so they don't go check it out. Wait for the close running shots.

I've shot numerous deer on the run. I also hunt with people who won't shoot at a running deer. But the difference between them and me is I do a lot more off season shooting and practicing then they do. One of my favorite winter hobbies is kicking up jackrabbits in an open field. When you get good enough to roll them little critters at a couple hundred yards you really learn to hone your skills. Learning the proper lead, follow through, and knowing your rifle is key....

All I can say is I've shot a lot more moving deer than I have standing deer, I've certainly missed a lot more those as well. With the bow I wouldn't dream of shooting at a running deer, with the shotgun, some of the worst hits in the world will bring them down. Don't quit shooting just because you hit them though, make sure they're down, or you can see the blood pumping out before you quit shooting. The best way to correct a bad hit, is by hitting it again.

I've hunted with many guys who can not hit running deer, at least consistently. I've missed plenty, but at 100 yards or less they're generally toast if I have any kind of an opening. If you're trying to shoot running deer in the woods, find an opening in front of where they're going & aim shoulder high there, when their nose gets to your site squeeze the trigger. If they're close & going slower than you thought you may get a head shot, if their head's down, but that's a bonus. I'd be speaking from experience on that one.

I started keeping a log of my firearm kills. It's almost exactly split in thirds between standing, walking, & running deer. I've shot one or two walking with my bow as well, but they were very close, under 10 yards.

I will be hunting the 3B season near Millville for the 4th year. In each of the past three years, I have had countless(More than 10) oppurtunitys to shoot a deer standing still from a drive. In fact, there are only two members of our party who sit in the early AM on stand.

I quess how you do the drive makes a difference. We always have our standers sit in an elevated stand-never on the ground. We scout and find exit-travel routes.

This area is Big wooded bluff country- I suppose it might be a different story hunting small woodlots in SW MN.

I've only shot at one running deer, got it in the heart. My approach was, (read it in mag article), to shoot when thier at the top of the jump. Cause they cant twist and change direction in mid air. Since that first time, I haven't shot at a runner yet, now i whistle or blow grunt tube and they seem to stop and give you a clear shot.

I killed a running deer a couple years ago as well. I was using a Winchester 12 gauge pump and *only* wink.gif had 4 shells left. I saw the deer sneak into a small patch of cover and waved my brother over to it when he was coming back from his stand. The deer bolted towards me (quartering) and I hit one of the front legs with one of the first 3 shots (didn't know that until later), and hit the heart with my last shell. If that one missed I could have thrown the gun at him, as he was only about 20 yards away! I wouldn't shoot at a running deer at more than about 50 yards though.