• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No-Knot Fas-Snaps

CSP88

I'd like to try some of these this winter and I noticed they come in 3 sizes (small, medium, & large). I need some imput on what size works best for "typical" ice fishing lures.

Thanks, Chad

I like using Fas-Snaps. It's nice to be able to switch up easily when the fish are finicky. I've found that the medium size works the best. The small size is hard to work with.

I tried them for trout this year and I threw off a couple baits. Well actually I got snagged on some brush (not bad, can still rip it out of.) So I tried to rip my bait out of it and instead it popped off the snap and then decided to fall into the water. I gave up on them after that.

I absolutly love them. I've been using them for years,both in summer and winter,and never had a problem. Even though they are harder to work with I like the small size for ice fishing. Its easier switching jigs, for me, then trying to tie 2lb line with cold fingers.

I have been using the Small and Medium snaps for crappie jigs all year. The extra action and angle it gave to the jigs worked well. I had to rethink the tying direct method I had been using for years

I use a hemostat to hold the snaps when tying knots and changing jigs.

I will be using the snaps this winter for sure.

I have been using them for a couple years. Mostly use them for the rod I have for jiggin raps and angel eyes and that type stuffs. I too use the hemostat to hold the little buggers. Buy mine at Fleet Farm, medium size.

What types of fishare you using these on? They look fine for pan fish but I'm not sure I'd trust a pike or a big 'eye to one shocked.gif I've always used dual lock snaps but I'm always looking for a better way...

These fast snaps or a version of them have been around for a long time, I used them off and on for for the last 20 years. If the fish are real finicky, I think the bite is a little slower, the more stuff you have down there when fish are slow to bite the worse off you are, thats why I use the litest line I can. I can;t think of a time when I used them I lost a fish because the snap failed. just my oppinion. cool.gif

I've used them for walleye & panfish fishing quite a bit... not a lot on northerns though... in fact I caught my 29" walleye on a jigging spoon with a fas snap (I've also heard of them being called quick clips)

The only issue I've run into is when using jigging spoons. It seems like after a while all the action on the spoon slowly works the spoon off the clip (the spoon usually has a barrel swivel on it)... after loosing 2 spoons this way last year I've switched to snap swivels... thankfully I've never lost a fish that way.

From time to time I've actually caught little saugers and walleyes in the lip with just the fas snap.. believe it or not.

They're handy... but after loosing some jigging spoons (at a couple of bucks a pop) I've gone away from them on my jigging line.

marine_man

These things work great. I use them on all my jig rods. I usually put a ball bearing swivel above these about 12 inches or so. I use the large size for walleyes and the medium for panfish. I've never had one straighten out.

This year I plan on using them to snap on to a ball bearing swivel on my tipups. That way I could have a bunch already rigged up and could store them on a snell holder. It should be a lot easier to snap in a new one than try to tie a new hook on when its super cold.

great idea nolte - this year I'm trying a ball bearing coastlock snap swivel on my main tipup line, and simply tying a loop knot in the end of my snells - easy on and off, and I have two snell holders that fit right into my walleye ice tackle box. I like your idea too though, might have to try that one.

Snaps work real well when changing locations with tip-ups and suckers. Real up the line and unsnap the quick strike rig and throw the whole works into the bait bucket. When you get to the new spot, just snap the whole works back on to the main line and start fishing. Works for me.

A buddy of mine turned me on to them last winter. One bit of advice I could offer is to make sure you get the "no-knot" brand of the snaps. I have found that these are durable and will not straighten out. I once tried an off brand type of snap and had nothing but trouble. They looked identicle to the no-knots, but were made by a different company.

I caught a 52" sturgeon last winter using a no-knot on 6lb fireline and had no trouble.