• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ditching Cable Tv ?

Walleyehooker

10 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

I would cut the cord in a heartbeat also. The only TV I watch is basically in the winter time , evening news or some Vikes games. The Mrs on the  other hand,  has to have her channels .. 

Sounds about like us. If anyone messed with my wifes Halmark channels. You may as well find a new wife! And I'm getting to old to break in a new one! ?

On 9/16/2021 at 7:24 PM, Big Dave2 said:

Well, I'm a little behind the times (as usual) and am just getting ready to finally cut the cord. I've chosen YouTube TV as my streaming source. We already have NetFlix and Amazon Prime so I was looking more for sports, news and specific live tv stations that my wife likes to watch. I felt that YouTube TV was the bit fit for us. 

We just started the trial two days ago but I already know I like it and am going to discontinue our Mediacom cable that we have had for over 20 years next week.

We already had one Amazon Fire stick for the living room TV but I have several more coming from Amazon soon. We only have one TV in the house that is an actual "smart" TV and it is old enough that it doesn't have the YouTube TV app so I will be outfitting all of our TVs with Fire Sticks so all the interfaces are the same no matter what tv we are using.

I'll have to stick with Mediacom's internet service as it is the only really fast provider in the area but I can't wait to tell them to take their cable TV and shove it!

Looks like it's been 5 months and I don't miss cable TV at all. The streaming service we are using (youtube tv) has all the channels we could ever want plus recording and the ability to use it remotely all for a lower price than we were paying for cable. 

Best part is, if we get sick of their service or find a better deal it is easy to cancel service and move on with life unlike with cable or satellite providers.

48 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Looks like it's been 5 months and I don't miss cable TV at all. The streaming service we are using (youtube tv) has all the channels we could ever want plus recording and the ability to use it remotely all for a lower price than we were paying for cable. 

Best part is, if we get sick of their service or find a better deal it is easy to cancel service and move on with life unlike with cable or satellite providers.

Apparently your wife doesn't watch Hallmark or lifetime???😳🥺😉

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

Apparently your wife doesn't watch Hallmark or lifetime???😳🥺😉

Why would anyone want to waste their time watching that stuff? 😆

I just looked and it appears that Lifetime is a no but we do have 3 different Hallmark channels. If Lifetime is a deal breaker there are other streaming services besides Youtube TV that might be a better fir for you if that's what you want to do.

You can watch Lifetime without cable on Fubo, Philo, Hulu, DirecTV Stream, Vidgo, Sling Orange, Sling, or Xfinity Choice TV

5 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Why would anyone want to waste their time watching that stuff? 😆

I just looked and it appears that Lifetime is a no but we do have 3 different Hallmark channels. If Lifetime is a deal breaker there are other streaming services besides Youtube TV that might be a better fir for you if that's what you want to do.

i'm not the one watching it!!!!!!!🥴 that be my wife......i go downstairs and stir the pot on fishing websites!!!!!!🤗🤭

6 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

We left satellite and switched to streaming.  Some things are better but some aren’t.  It just feels like a different type of limited programs and running the smart TV and remote and get frustrating.

And I have a love/hate relationship with this new “binge watching” concept. 😆

13 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

We left satellite and switched to streaming.  Some things are better but some aren’t.  It just feels like a different type of limited programs and running the smart TV and remote and get frustrating.

We have never had a very robust cable package and never had premium channels or a dvr so the streaming services seem less limited to me than cable.

The fire sticks are being a pain in the butt because we seem to have to reset one them frequently but as far as operating them, we were already using one for Netflix and Amazon Prime so no problems there.

One of the most useful features of streaming for me is that I can watch whatever I would watch at home on my phone or better yet, I can mirror my phone to a smart tv or a fire stick like we have on the tv at the camper up north. It came in handy a few rainy nights up there already last fall and I was able to watch a certain college football playoff game at a friend's cabin over New Years using the same method.

And I have a love/hate relationship with this new “binge watching” concept. 😆

I hear you.

7 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

One of the most useful features of streaming for me is that I can watch whatever I would watch at home on my phone or better yet, I can mirror my phone to a smart tv or a fire stick like we have on the tv at the camper up north. It came in handy a few rainy nights up there already last fall and I was able to watch a certain college football playoff game at a friend's cabin over New Years using the same method.

We haven’t evolved that far yet.  We tried it in the fish house a couple weeks ago but our entertainment system in the house is t Bluetooth compatible.  My wife tried connecting with a cord to her phone but didn’t get it sorted out.

I had crappies on the screen so I wasn’t any help. 

Edited by Wanderer

We haven’t evolved that far yet.  We tried it in the fish house a couple weeks ago but our entertainment system in the house is t Bluetooth compatible.  My wife tried connecting with a cord to her phone but didn’t get it sorted out.

No need for bluetooth. If you have an Android phone I did it by using something called "smart view" in the settings menu. Doing that you should be able to connect to a smart tv or fire stick. If you have an Iphone it seems you might be out of luck. At least I have not figured out a way to do it with one of those.

13 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

No need for bluetooth. If you have an Android phone I did it by using something called "smart view" in the settings menu. Doing that you should be able to connect to a smart tv or fire stick. If you have an Iphone it seems you might be out of luck. At least I have not figured out a way to do it with one of those.

We’ll see what we can figure out. I’m gonna go out to the fish house now and change out the TV to a newer one we have.  It might have better luck with technology.

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

We’ll see what we can figure out. I’m gonna go out to the fish house now and change out the TV to a newer one we have.  It might have better luck with technology.

You go to the fishhouse to watch TV???🙄🤔 I go to fish and drink beer!!!😉 I do however bring a radio to listen to the news and tunes!👍

Edited by smurfy

Finally got the newer TV figured out - in the driveway - cuz I’m not distracted by sonar and it’s just a little too early for beer.

@Big Dave2 my wife said she didn’t see smart view on her Android but we’ll try again later when we’re on the lake.  Bite doesn’t start till 6 and will be a slow grind over night for the crappies by the sounds of it.  But we have a good chance of seeing a few 12’s so we’ll take the less numbers.

West Nunya by the way @leech~~😉 Not to be confused other lesser known Nunyas. 

Is this getting old for you yet?  Not yet for me. 😅

31 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Finally got the newer TV figured out - in the driveway - cuz I’m not distracted by sonar and it’s just a little too early for beer.

@Big Dave2 my wife said she didn’t see smart view on her Android but we’ll try again later when we’re on the lake.  Bite doesn’t start till 6 and will be a slow grind over night for the crappies by the sounds of it.  But we have a good chance of seeing a few 12’s so we’ll take the less numbers.

West Nunya by the way @leech~~😉 Not to be confused other lesser known Nunyas. 

Is this getting old for you yet?  Not yet for me. 😅

Not sure what the fixation is but have fun! 😏

Did your wife try Hotspot on her Android?  🤔

Edited by leech~~

35 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

@Big Dave2 my wife said she didn’t see smart view on her Android but we’ll try again later when we’re on the lake.  

To get to "smart view" on my android phone I have to pull down the top menu and then pull that to the left so I can see it to click on it. I hope that helps, Probably doesn't make sense but I'm not sure I'm bright enough to explain it any better way.

7 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

To get to "smart view" on my android phone I have to pull down the top menu and then pull that to the left so I can see it to click on it. I hope that helps, Probably doesn't make sense but I'm not sure I'm bright enough to explain it any better way.

It helps.  Thanks. 👍

21 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Smart view is a Samsung thing.

I have a Google phone and the function is just called "cast screen".  It can be accessed in the same place in the top pull down menu.  I assume it does the same thing.

1 hour ago, bobbymalone said:

Smart view is a Samsung thing.

I have a Google phone and the function is just called "cast screen".  It can be accessed in the same place in the top pull down menu.  I assume it does the same thing.

Thank you for the clarification, I didn't know that. Have you ever tried doing it with an Iphone? A buddy of mine's wife would like to be able to do this at their cabin but she has an Iphone and I could not figure a way out to do it with her phone.

Yah, nuthin’ really worked for us to stream HULU from her phone.  That’s alright.  TV is almost just back ground noise most of the time.

We’d want to watch the race today if we were still out there but the bite was over and I wanted to get ready for the snowmageddon predicted here over the next couple days.  Possible 10-20 inches.

Feels like it’s been forever since I’ve seen a race.

9 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Wanderer, did you pull the house off???

Yeah, it was our wheelhouse and we never leave without it.  

I wish I’d felt confident in leaving at least one of our houses out for longer than a week this year but it never happened for all the changing conditions.  Pretty disappointed with that.  Started putting the little skid houses up for storage the other day.  Bummer.