• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ditching Cable Tv ?

Walleyehooker

Thinking about getting rid of my always increasing cable TV bill. I know with a fairly cheap antenna I can get ABC NBC CBS and I think FOX and some other misc channels where Im at. My question is how would I get Discovery and History channel as I watch those quite a bit? Netflix?

I cut cable over 10 years ago and haven't missed it once.  I used to watch a lot of Discovery and History channel stuff but haven't found much content from those channels on Netflix or other streaming services that I use.  It all depends on what sort of deals different networks make or don't make with streaming services.  Discovery seems noticeably absent when it comes to streaming.  You could try doing a google search for Discovery Channel streaming options to see if they stream their content anywhere or if they have a standalone service. 

I will say though even though there is stuff I used to watch that I no longer have access to I really don't miss it.  If you don't have Netflix you could get that and you'd be kept busy for the next several years getting caught up on all the content on there.  Add in Amazon Prime and you've got a few more years worth of content.  

I'd suggest cutting the cord and saving the money.  I haven't met anyone thats done it and regretted it.  If you really want to enjoy cutting the cord even more then once you cut it take the money you were paying the cable company and set it aside.  Subtract the amount you pay to any new streaming services you get and then save the rest for hobbies, vacations, etc.  I'm guessing that stash of money grows pretty quick and gives you some cash to go have some fun with.  

I have an antenna mounted in my attic from when we bought the house. I was playing around the other day and hooked up it. I ended up getting about 45 channels!  If it wasn't for the Hallmark channel my wife lives on, I would think about cutting the cord!

I cut the cord several years ago and haven't missed a beat. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu and get nearly everything I want. I also get HBO Now for a few months a year but cancel when what I want to watch is over, mainly Game of Thrones. 

cut the cord a few years ago and havent looked back. we have few amazon fire sticks that work fine. My kids can get by just with youtube alone lol.

I have had to get a little creative to see some of shows and events I like to watch. HINT HINT Its too bad when a relative comes to visit and forgets to log out with their cable provider.

I like to watch AMA supercross  on Saturday nights. Years past I could get fox sports go app on a device and it wasn't an issue. Now NBC sports bought the TV rights and you have to buy the NBC Gold app ($49.99) to watch everything. With out the gold account I am unable to watch some races at all and some I cant even see live and have watch them on a delay. Still not going to pay the money for gold though.

I feel that is going to be the future of anything we watch. $50 for nbc gold, another $50 to watch something else,  and another $50 to watch something else, and next thing you know I am paying more than a monthly bill for any provider. 

I am all for paying for stuff I want to watch, I just don't think the prices they offer are worth the content so these providers wont be getting any of my money for the time being. 

i think you are correct.  It won't be long until everyone that owns content has their own streaming service and if you want access you'll have to pay.  Disney is already launching their own streaming service.  They had a deal with Netflix that allowed Netflix to purchase their content and stream it to their customers but now Disney is pulling it all back so it will only be available by subscribing to their service. I'm sure it will be the same for other movie studios, networks, and sports leagues. 

It might get to the point where we wish we could go back to the "cheap" cable option.  In the end the consumers will decide what works but I wouldn't be surprised if a good amount of people fork over the $$$ to all these different services.  If there is one thing Americans will pay for its their tv. 

Sling Orange here, plus Amazon and Netflix.

There are times that I wish I had ESPN and The Big Ten network, but I've been able to live without.

Have trouble getting Kare11 on the man cave TV antennae, so I head upstairs when there is something to watch on there.

Still get weekly junk mail from Direct TV begging me to come back after 5 years.

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I have an antenna mounted in my attic from when we bought the house. I was playing around the other day and hooked up it. I ended up getting about 45 channels!  If it wasn't for the Hallmark channel my wife lives on, I would think about cutting the cord!

40 of them are pure garbage.  Although you might be into some of the Bible carp.  I feel like there are 20 channels of that.

Edited by bobbymalone

Im going to pick up an antenna and try it at least on the bedroom TVs to see how it works. I know in the summer I put one of those cheap antennas in the RV that basically look like a piece of paper and got a lot of channels with that and even a good picture. Gets old paying for 100 channels and only watch 5-6 of them and half of those you can get free with an antenna. And the other 95 channels are dump.

1 hour ago, bobbymalone said:

40 of them are pure garbage.  Although you might be into some of the Bible carp.  I feel like there are 20 channels of that.

Oh Ok thank you for that!

2 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

There are that many OTA religious channels? 

At my daughter's house they have an antenna in the window (st paul north) and get a bunch of stations.  Never noticed any religious content to speak of.  

20 is probably an exaggeration.  But there might be 8 -10 or so.  I don't know.  When I did the auto scan thing I removed a bunch.  They ranged from the Catholic channel to the send your money now TV evangelism stuff. 

I think there were a couple QVC channels.  And some telemundo stuff with overly dramatic soap operas with spicy Latinas.

17 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

20 is probably an exaggeration.  But there might be 8 -10 or so.  I don't know.  When I did the auto scan thing I removed a bunch.  They ranged from the Catholic channel to the send your money now TV evangelism stuff. 

I think there were a couple QVC channels.  And some telemundo stuff with overly dramatic soap operas with spicy Latinas.

Funny Bob, because the rest are all Public lefty channels paid for with funding from "Views Like you"  ?

Edited by leech~~

I think there are 3 PBS channels.  One is the general one, one plays MN and WI history type stuff, one I'm not sure what it is, and the last one is Mr Rogers 24/7.  

You can always block them.  That's what I did for the Jesus stuff and QVC.

PBS has regular, create/life (cooking and crafts), MN, and Kids. 

brought up tv guide app, set it to twin cities antenna,

channel 14 is catholic, with 5 subchannels

ch 19 also catholic, 1 channel

couple spanish.  

700 club and one unknown topic, just guys names.

102 total channels, exactly which ones you would get is hard to tell.  

I rate your claim two pinochios.

14 hours ago, delcecchi said:

PBS has regular, create/life (cooking and crafts), MN, and Kids. 

brought up tv guide app, set it to twin cities antenna,

channel 14 is catholic, with 5 subchannels

ch 19 also catholic, 1 channel

couple spanish.  

700 club and one unknown topic, just guys names.

102 total channels, exactly which ones you would get is hard to tell.  

I rate your claim two pinochios.

I can attest to the fact that there are several religious channels on TV over the air. When our camper was sitting in the driveway I would sometimes put up the antenna and scroll through the channels if I was bored. There were about 40 channels and I felt like close to 10 of them were religious. I guess we can forget that war on religion, huh?

I wanted to cut the cable bad about a year ago. I researched it heavily and found that you have to be careful and consider everything or you will end up paying just as much for less convenience.

If you are going to be doing a lot more streaming, you may end up having to buy a faster internet package. Not only that but I found that if I was not bundling cable with internet, the price of internet only rises, with my provider anyway. Add those two extra costs with adding a service like Sling or HuLu and I would have been close to the same as basic cable but none of the convenience and less content. I found also that getting rid of the cable boxes lowered the cost of cable a fair amount. We just use the TV tuner itself to find the channels. I also complained and got a deal for 2 years that was much cheaper than I was paying.

Streaming services are changing and getting better (offering live TV like sports, etc.)so this may change soon but for now, I'll stick with my cable.

20 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I guess we can forget that war on religion, huh?

Well oddly it was brought up by a few folk on a Ditching Cable Tv post, that must have dead batteries in their remotes? ?

Edited by leech~~

Not sure I can add to what's already been said, but just another vote for cutting the cord!  Did so almost three years ago and we're saving about $80/month compared to DirectTV. 

We chose the Roku platform to access all our streaming apps - I've since updated all our TVs to Roku TVs and we have one Roku stick that we use when we go to the cabin, etc. which plugs into the HDMI on any flatscreen (smart or not) and makes it a Roku TV.

I found that I don't even need a HD antenna because Hulu TV has all local stations and most of the popular cable networks for a fraction of price of our Direct TV subscription.  We also have Netflix.  We have a prime subscription but almost never use it for TV.  We ditched Sling for Hulu TV as it didn't have as many of the local stations and it's almost the same price.

I do find the overall, I watch less TV since we cut the cord, which is a good thing.

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

I wanted to cut the cable bad about a year ago. I researched it heavily and found that you have to be careful and consider everything or you will end up paying just as much for less convenience.

If you are going to be doing a lot more streaming, you may end up having to buy a faster internet package. Not only that but I found that if I was not bundling cable with internet, the price of internet only rises, with my provider anyway. Add those two extra costs with adding a service like Sling or HuLu and I would have been close to the same as basic cable but none of the convenience and less content. I found also that getting rid of the cable boxes lowered the cost of cable a fair amount. We just use the TV tuner itself to find the channels. I also complained and got a deal for 2 years that was much cheaper than I was paying.

Streaming services are changing and getting better (offering live TV like sports, etc.)so this may change soon but for now, I'll stick with my cable.

I saved about $80 per month by switching (including the added internet cost). I was already paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime when I had cable so I don't consider them something that eats into that savings. I did add Hulu and occasionally HBO but even so, I'm still saving over $50 a month.