• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cooking Bear Meat

1 hour ago, minky said:

Anyone have good tips or advice for cooking bear meat. I am hunting bear this weekend and I am hoping to bring home some delicious bear meat.

My F-I-L bear hunts and I think they pretty much grind it all into hamburger.

We did a lot of roasts and stews with the Bears we got.  When my daughter was about 6 years old I made a really good stew.  A few days later she said "Dad when are you going to make some more of that salty Bear soup" ?

At least she really liked it. ?  

Edited by leech~~

17 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

My F-I-L bear hunts and I think they pretty much grind it all into hamburger.

we usually trim everything, bring it to the local butcher shop and have pepper sticks, hot dogs and summer sausage out of it. my stepdaughter got real sick with Kawasaki disease years ago, the U of M tested the summer sausage and said it was some of the most pure meat they've seen. 

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

we usually trim everything, bring it to the local butcher shop and have pepper sticks, hot dogs and summer sausage out of it. my stepdaughter got real sick with Kawasaki disease years ago, the U of M tested the summer sausage and said it was some of the most pure meat they've seen. 

Geez, never heard of Kawasaki disease before?  But my son just got a Ninja crouch rocket which I told him to go see a doctor before he kills himself! ?  

Leech Google it! For 7 days she was in intensive care and nobody new if she'd pull thru. It affects the heart and other organs. She ended up having hergall bladder removed and a single heart bypass because of it, at 9 years old.

Edited by smurfy

1 hour ago, Jmnhunter said:

smurf-from Bear meat? I've heard of trichinosis of undercooked bear meat

nope didn't come from that. basiccly it starts out as a cold or flu. body produces white blood cells to fight the illness. white blood cells overpopulate and turns poisonous to the body.

14 minutes ago, smurfy said:

nope didn't come from that. basiccly it starts out as a cold or flu. body produces white blood cells to fight the illness. white blood cells overpopulate and turns poisonous to the body.

Sounds like some nasty stuff.  How is she doing now? 

19 minutes ago, Jmnhunter said:

dang, thats scary, especially when it happens to a little one; they ever figure out where it came from?

Nobody understand what causes it.  Which is why they probably do stuff like test everything, including sausages.

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

bobby is correct!!!!!!!

OK guys I don't wanna make this about my stepdaughter...…….back to cooking bear meat!!!!

They never did say it was from the Bear meat thought right?  Just so folks don't get worried about eating it.   I Think Bear meat is pretty good. ?