• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hitch lock won't open. Any ideas?

Well it was left on all winter so the odds of getting it off is low the road salt destroys that stuff. It’s probobly all corroded and rusted. But start with the basics WD-40 the lock part down good let it sit for a half hour or so, try it again. If that doesn't work get your hack saw or cut off wheel and chop the pin in half. 

25 minutes ago, Grainbelt said:

You could try to heat it  up a bit with a propane torch if the above is a no go and see if that  persuades it.

I was gonna suggest that as well, but I wouldn't be surprised that there are plastic pieces in today's locks?

WD-40 will get the water out of it (WD = Water Displacment).  It has very little lube to it - Naphtha.  I recommend some penetrating oil.  Tough to cut off since the pin is not accessible...  Might have to grind the left side lug off. 

A few reviews for this lock on their web site. Looks like cutting or drilling. :(

Stainless Steel Trailer Hitch Lock for 2-1/2" Receivers by Master Lock

Item # 1469DAT

Comments

Unfortunately, the hard winter killed my lock. The protective cap fell off and the key slot got so packed full of road salt that the key wouldn't go in. I finally had to cut the lock off. Lesson learned: make sure you keep the plastic cap on!

Bob D - 05/02/2014

Comments

My lock suffered the same fate but my protective cap stayed on. The key would go in but not turn to unlock. Tried spraying penetrating oil in lock for days and a little heat did not help. Had to drill out lock. The Chicago winters and all the salt destroyed the aluminum lock.

-- comment by: John - 01/02/2015

Spray some penetrating oil in it and let it work for a day. Then spray again and try the key very gently working it back and forth. Mine is lubed up pretty good and it spends most of the year on the truck. Lube it up a couple of times each year just for that reason.

Only try breaking the hitch lock if you already exhausted other possible methods to unlock the hitch.
Lift the hitch lock slightly and insert it into one end of the metal pipe if necessary. It's fine to scratch the lock at this point because you're preparing to detach it from the hitch.
If the pipe you have is somewhat less than the diameter of the lock, you may need to lubricate the setup. Before putting the lock into the pipe, apply your chosen lubricant to the lock's surface.