• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yeti cooler knock offs

slammer

Question

38 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Might do it although it is quite a bit larger than my old igloo.  

2 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Might do it although it is quite a bit larger than my old igloo.  

I've had one of those little ones for years. I used to use it as a lunch box. I've wished I had a larger one several times.

Just now, Big Dave2 said:

I've had one of those little ones for years. I used to use it as a lunch box. I've wished I had a larger one several times.

We use the little one for medications.   A 6 pack size is just perfect for a ziplock of ice and some meds. 

1 minute ago, delcecchi said:

We use the little one for medications.   A 6 pack size is just perfect for a ziplock of ice and some meds. 

Then I would think the soft sided ones would be perfect for that?

We bought a yeti tundra 45 (I think) 2 summers ago and ended up bringing it back a few months later. It was great held ice good kept stuff cold, Heavy duty etc. Only problem.... hauling around a $400 cooler is scary. Hear stories all the time of these getting stolen and was always watching over that thing even if locked up. Went with the rolling colmen extrme color instead $70 is more realistic.

3 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Do you have one of the Engle coolers, Dave?  If you do, how is it for keeping cold?

Nope, I don't have one so I can't help you there. I just thought it looked interesting for a small cooler.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

We bought a yeti tundra 45 (I think) 2 summers ago and ended up bringing it back a few months later. It was great held ice good kept stuff cold, Heavy duty etc. Only problem.... hauling around a $400 cooler is scary. Hear stories all the time of these getting stolen and was always watching over that thing even if locked up. Went with the rolling colmen extrme color instead $70 is more realistic.

I bought one of those big Igloo marine coolers back in the day and I had it stolen in a campground on the very first night I used it. I can't imagine how fast one of those $400 Yeti's would get stolen.

9 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Nope, I don't have one so I can't help you there. I just thought it looked interesting for a small cooler.

I bought one of those big Igloo marine coolers back in the day and I had it stolen in a campground on the very first night I used it. I can't imagine how fast one of those $400 Yeti's would get stolen.

Yep exactly I always had two locks/ cables on it at all times in public and still didn't feel safe. They can be picked off so easily if not locked and if so can still be taken if someone was desperate enough. Great coolers but for the hassle and price its not worth it.

Ordered a Igloo Sportsman 55qt cooler.  Looks like a decent one.  Has a gasket on the lid to seal up.  Should be fine for me.  Too many choices,  got sick of looking at them.  For $169 its not high end or cheap.  I'll report back after it gets some use.

If heading out west for a hunting trip and need a cooler to keep meat cold for a week, go buy a chest freezer from sears.  You can buy a nice sized one for waaaay cheaper then those coolers. You can also hit up the generator for a quick freeze if needed.  My 2 cents. 

I bought a igloo sportsman last year from costco since it had good ice retention (comparable to Yeti's) but after testing it out a few days, it was not air/water tight like they said its supposed to be, so I returned it and did some more research and found the Orca's from TN, made in the US, lifetime warranty and still half the price as a yeti (had to dig around to find a good deal), and also had the best ice retention vs all the other brands from the cooler test youtube channel

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/191073381502120

Saw this Grizzly cooler for sale on Facebook Marketplace. I don't know the seller or anything about it. I don't even know if $200 is a good deal for this cooler or not but I thought I'd post it here in case anyone is interested.

Well i got the Igloo sportsman and before I even tried it out I came across some reviews where someone took a light and put inside the cooler,  closed the lid and in a dark room you could see a big spot that had no insulation in it.  So I tried it out and yep,  mine also had a big void spot where no insulation.  Packed it up and sent it back.  I guess its tough to make a quality product now days.  Back to search mode for a cooler.  That Orca looks interesting.  I see Yeti has dropped their price a bit.  Still too high.

Edited by slammer

17 hours ago, slammer said:

Well i got the Igloo sportsman and before I even tried it out I came across some reviews where someone took a light and put inside the cooler,  closed the lid and in a dark room you could see a big spot that had no insulation in it.  So I tried it out and yep,  mine also had a big void spot where no insulation.  Packed it up and sent it back.  I guess its tough to make a quality product now days.  Back to search mode for a cooler.  That Orca looks interesting.  I see Yeti has dropped their price a bit.  Still too high.

I see ads for RTIC as being a Yeti equivilent for less money.   You might want to check them out.  Looks like about half the price of a yeti.