• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canadian Bacon

Used Pops Brine that RH shared in the past. So good!  When I do a whole loin cut into 2 pieces in the 5 gallon bucket, I just double this recipe.  Or times 1.5 if I use 1 1/2 gallons water. Only takes 2 1/2  to 3 hours to get it to 150. 

Pop's Brine

1 gallon of cold water

3/4 cup Kosher salt

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

3 big T of mollases

1 T of cure#1

Mix all of this up well till all of the ingredients are dissolved.  Put the half of boneless pork loin [around 5 to 6 pounds] in the brine and leave it in the fridge for 9 to 10 days.  Make sure you use a  glass or plastic container.  Also make sure the meat is submerged.  I fill a gallon zip lock bag half full of water and put it on top of the loin and that sinks the loin well.  After the 9 to 10 days take the loin out and rinse it with cold water.  Pat it dry and put it uncovered back in the fridge to dry and set overnight.  Next day is smoking time.  I set my smoker at 225 deg.  fill the chip tray with cherry wood.  Keep adding chips in the smoker tray until you get that nice gold color.  Then stop adding chips and let the loin continue without smoke until the internal temp is 150 deg.  Then take it out of the smoker and set it on the kitchen counter to cool off.  I usually put a foil tent on it.  Once it cools down, put it in the fridge until the next day.  Don't get tempted into cutting into it.  It will be hard to do, but leave it in the fridge overnight.